Poll: Save Homeworld Kickstarter Thoughts

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
So, as I'm sure at least some of you are aware, teamPixel started a IndieGoGo fund raiser, and now are using Kickstarter to raise money to buy rights to the Homeworld franchise. As of this writing, they are currently at $32,460 of their $50,000 goal with 10 days left. Now, I'm actually hoping this goes somewhere, as I'd love to see one of my favorite franchises live again.

Obviously, this is acting as a sort of advertisement to any who read this, though my intent is to find out what others think about this. If you like or dis-like this, and what reasons you have. I like this, and think they seemingly have a real interest in getting this going, and making it rock. I also think that the fact that they're not huge could mean they wont need to make it a huge hit to survive. They show promise to my reading, and that doesn't make me sad.

~-~-
Favorite Homeworld game: Homeworld
Favorite Mission: The Sphere Level (Do I need to say more?)
Favorite Ship: Kadeshi Multi-Beam Frigate

EDIT: Figured I'd add a link to their Kickstarter page: SaveHomeworld.com

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I do like the idea, but this pie is so far up in the sky you can't even see it anymore.
A game like Homeworld isn't just made accidentally, it takes so much experience, talent and work that I really can't trust anyone but Relic to make it happen.

Meanwhile these guys haven't got a single game out the door(that I can find anyway), and yet want fans to put the franchise into their hands... sorry but this is a really really bad idea, I understand they have the best of intentions but you first need to prove you can handle something of that magnitude.
Also doesn't help them imagining their mobile prototype that looks horribly unresponsive is "the way it's meant to be played"... sorry but I do not want these people to be in charge of Homeworld.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I'm with Mr. K on this one. I'd like to add that I'm pretty satisfied with all the Homeworld games I currently own and would prefer a new franchise, perhaps with gameplay remiscent of Homeworld but better.

All this raking over old games is atavistic.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
I admit, it could not go great, obviously, however, no one else wants to make a new Homeworld game, and a lot of the old fans want another game in the series. If Relic actually made headway, and THQ would've published it, I'd jump through a hoop or two to get it.

My opinion is to give them a chance, since it's the best option to get another chance. The seem to have a lot of urge to do this, and I've seen developers come from no where and make a seriously awesome game. If it's between trusting a team of people chomping at the bits verses nothing, then it's an easy choice.

Captcha: moon cheese....... Awesome.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Ideally I'd want Good Old Games to get their hands on Homeworld so I can get that and the cataclysm expansion for a reasonable price (on Amazon it's insane).

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I really doubt sega (I'm guessing they're the new owners?) is going to give up an IP for very cheap.

50k for the license + homeworld 3 seems pretty much impossible. And like Mr.K. says, I really doubt a studio with basically no prior games to make something as high quality as a homeworld title would need to be.

A lot of wishful thinking, without much of anything solid to hold onto.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
skywolfblue said:
I really doubt sega (I'm guessing they're the new owners?) is going to give up an IP for very cheap.
The IP is being sold separately, and Sega does not own it. Technically, THQ still owns it and other IPs that just didn't get sold, and are going up for auction soonish. Wishful thinking, yes, but who knows.