Poll: Save the world or Remake the world?

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Y'know we're saving the world all the time in games and in movies, but I have to wonder, if I had the power, would I be the guy trying to change the world, having the 'heroes' trying to stop me?

How about this then?

You've been given a key to a magical machine. Only you can use it.

If you use the key, the world as we know it will be effectivly destroyed, and you will able to remake the world however you want. Obviously you're only human, but the machine will be able to translate any desired change without problem. So say you said "make the world have peace" it will be able to do so. Let's say everyone will be saved and placed in the the new world you created as well.

If you don't use the key, the world stays the same, both the good and the bad. However, there will always be people who want the power, and will take it from you. Furthermore, they must kill you before they can use the key, effectively making you guardian of the world. You won't be able to ever live a normal life again, constantly hunted.

What do you do?
Gotta say, I'd be pretty tempted to use it myself...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I would use the key. No qualms, no hesitation. Even without the second part.

One of my favorite DnD characters I ever made was actually someone who wanted to change the entire world for the better, but had alot of questionable methods to do it. (I would not actually support his methods, but he was interesting in how split people viewed him)

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Easy. Use it. The world is a pile of shit, only saved by a few awesome people. If I could save everyone at the same time, whats there to think about?

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
If you used it, there would be people who were angry that you did. Eventually arguments will lead to fighting. Then your peace is gone.

Complete peace is impossible.

If you couldn't tell, I wouldn't use it.

DrMetal

Oct 31, 2009
Definetly remake. What i would like more thou (at first atleast), is such machine to simulate its implimintation of my commands.
Like, say i would go change history arround 10th century, to unify the world in one empire and derive from religion into something more of technology cult and start cast-breeding of humanaty based on pre-assigned/best suited role or purpose. And in such ways to find the world which i can objectify as the close to image i have as possible to make it a real ittaration, even if in such even it also by paradox normalisation, ends my existance.

PMorgan18

Apr 6, 2010
Remake definitely remake.
It would be modeled after a sci-fi empire I made.
It will be glorious.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I wouldn't use it.

Simply put: I'm not the kind of guy that should make that kind of a call. Even if I end up dead from it, I refuse to make such a call.

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
DJDarque said:
If you used it, there would be people who were angry that you did. Eventually arguments will lead to fighting. Then your peace is gone.

Well if the machine wanted it to be peaceful it would kill/ wipe out the people that don´t want peace. Then it would be peaceful. :)

I would ask for peace I think.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Mr. Grey said:
I wouldn't use it.

Simply put: I'm not the kind of guy that should make that kind of a call.
sadly knowing humanity like i do im probably the only person that should make the call

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Simon Pettersson said:
DJDarque said:

Well if the machine wanted it to be peaceful it would kill/ wipe out the people that don´t want peace. Then it would be peaceful. :)

Here's a question for you. How is that different from mass murder?

DrMetal

Oct 31, 2009
Simon Pettersson said:
DJDarque said:

Asking for peace and recieving it in such scenario is inhumane.
Becasue there are few possibilities:

a) There are no sentient beings to call the state of the world other than peace
b) Every one is forced to be peacfull or die (as in your words), then there is no real choice and you just made greatest dictatorship and the harshest conditions to live in, possible.
c) Everything is pacified/unplugged from the world - think matrix. Exept if in such virtual enviroment there is still violence, is it really peace? If it doesnt count than if this was the choice, you will have the next level of it. And now you have a reacurring amount of worlds, with essintialy every sentient being in the universe being lonely. And that is fate worse than dieing as a civialian war casualty at the age of 12. (in my opinion)

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Yeah I dunno, that'd be a lot of blood on my h...

yanipheonu said:
Let's say everyone will be saved and placed in the the new world you created as well.
Oh well that's easy then. Use the machine and then destroy it. Either that or use it to create a 0.9 world and tell everyone they have one chance to vote on other changes to be made. Then another, final change, THEN destroy the machine.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This world is my world. When I am not in it, it will - by way of Existential perceptions - no longer exist. So, let's fix 'er up.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Use the key, remake the world exactly as it was only without said machine.

I may not like the world as is, and I'm one hell of an escapist, but I'm aware that I'm not intrinsically more valuable than anyone else, and certainly not smart enough to predict the consequences of something as far-reaching as changing the entire world, no matter how slight a change I may think it is.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
I'm going to go with the argument that it's easier and more efficient to do something from scratch then constantly try to fix and rescue it.

If I consider the world broken, I'd use the key and remake the world. And I do sort of consider it that. If everyone is alright afterwards, thus not burdening my conscience further, I would see no reason not to do it. Not sure if I'd go for ultimate peace. I'd rather just add elements that make peace possible.

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
DJDarque said:
Simon Pettersson said:
DJDarque said:

Here's a question for you. How is that different from mass murder?
I didn´t say it was any different from massmurder.
Complete peace is possible but with a great price.

DrMetal said:
Simon Pettersson said:
DJDarque said:

Asking for peace and recieving it in such scenario is inhumane.
Becasue there are few possibilities:

a) There are no sentient beings to call the state of the world other than peace
b) Every one is forced to be peacfull or die (as in your words), then there is no real choice and you just made greatest dictatorship and the harshest conditions to live in, possible.
c) Everything is pacified/unplugged from the world - think matrix. Exept if in such virtual enviroment there is still violence, is it really peace? If it doesnt count than if this was the choice, you will have the next level of it. And now you have a reacurring amount of worlds, with essintialy every sentient being in the universe being lonely. And that is fate worse than dieing as a civialian war casualty at the age of 12. (in my opinion)
Yes it is a inhumane way to get world peace. But I don´t think its possible any other way.

I just thought of a thing how would the machine know what peace is?
I yhink you would have to think it through more so yeah I take back my wish :p

This question reminds me of the "monkey hand" story.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Half way through the lecture on how it works and 'with great power comes...' I'd already be sitting in my golden throne, surrounded by a harem and robots, inside my flying death fortress as an army of metal coated dragons descends on my new subjects.