Poll: SCARY GAMES!!!!!!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I went with Doom III. I know it's really not the scariest game, especially not on that list, but out of those I've played there Doom III made me shit my pants the most. The awful thing is that you know some zombie will come towards you from the dark in every damn room, but every time I still jump sky high.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Phlakes said:
I am so glad nobody voted for Dead Space yet. It's not scary at all. In fact, I was just playing the DS2 demo, and I jumped once because I had the volume up and that big thing crashed down. But not once did I feel any tension.
Just voted Dead Space because of your comment, as it is the scariest game I've played, and I've played two other games on that list and none were as close. You should really try lowering your bias when it comes to a poll and just be interested in the results, not trying to ignite something with "game is boring lolol."

Come on, friend. Think outside the box. :(

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Of the games listed, only Amnesia truly made me feel scared at more than one point during gameplay. The atmosphere of that game is perfect. The others are alright at doing the whole scary thing, but also have a bit too much action to have you focus solely on the scary aspects of the game.

GiantRaven said:
Get through the labs in Stalker without crapping yourself. I dare you.
First time through, the labs are fucking creepy. Definitely up there behind Amnesia for me.

My first encounter with a bloodsucker though...couldn't have gone worse.

Henrik Persson

Mar 14, 2010
The only game I've played that's been even remotely scary is Vampire: Bloodlines. The Haunted Mansion mission is scary as hell. I haven't played many of those mentioned (because I don't find scary games scary mostly), but those I've played have been yawnfests compared to the Haunted Mansion.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
For me, my scariest games are Condemned 2 and Silent Hill 2/3. Yeah Condemned 1 was pretty frightening, but quite frankly the game cannot hold a candle to the incredible first level and the extremely messed up FBI headquarters level *shudders*.

Silent Hill 2 held more cerebral scares, but I have always thought 3 was much more messed up. One of the last scenes in 3 with the red stone... and the fetus... *shudders again* will always stick in my mind. No amount of brain bleach can wash it away.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Hader said:
Haha, no kidding. I saw the outline and started shooting at it (was holding a double-barreled shotgun at the time) and unlike most enemies at close range, it wouldn't die. I panicked and ran around trying to reload and it took me like 6 shots to finally down it.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
Hader said:
Haha, no kidding. I saw the outline and started shooting at it (was holding a double-barreled shotgun at the time) and unlike most enemies at close range, it wouldn't die. I panicked and ran around trying to reload and it took me like 6 shots to finally down it.
See I saw it too, but I didn't know what the hell it was so I just passed right on by it.

Yeah, I saw an invisible bloodsucker FIRST and I didn't fucking know it!

Proceed to pass it, 5 seconds later, my face is torn off.

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
Riddle78 said:
Play Minecraft,then think.

YOU are the only human on the planet.
Yet there are obviously humanoid Zombies and Skeletons.
THEY were once YOU.
The Zombies look EXACTLY LIKE YOUR DEFAULT SKIN,only the flesh is green.
When you die,you respawn. You can never die,and must live forever and alone in this death world.
Think about it.

Also,go into a dark tunnel with a stone sword,and 16 torches. Psychological horror at it's finest.
gotta agree with you there.
Dispite the game not being classed as horror it sent shivers down my spine at some parts.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
It's kinda old but if it had slightly better graphics and controls the scariest game has to be Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Why? Because you were expecting monsters at times and then as soon as you weren't...BAM! They come at you. Also the sanity effects like the volume changing, the tv turning off or the game shuting down made you actually think you were going insane.

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
Not Resident Evil. I love the games, RE4 is at the top of my list, but they just aren't scary as much as they are action.

Mark Chance Frost

Dec 19, 2010
Its really interesting that no-one has mentioned F.E.A.R., a game that prides itself on being scary.
For me its silent hill 2 though, its disturbing and gross, making you not want to do something just because of the way its set up.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I watched a Let's play of Ju-on: The Grudge. (What's more unbelievable, that they made a game out of that or that it's on the Wii?) If the movies left any impact on you, you might scream as much as the person I watched. (I have no Wii. Fucking motion control.)

A "horror" game that wasn't scary was SAW. (1st one, at least) The only real threats I found were fucking up in a deathtrap puzzle or bumbling over a tripwire-shotgun and getting insta-killed in the same manner as detective Tapp's late partner. There's various other people Jigsaw is testing by having them try to kill you for a key, but a few quick jabs of Tapp's right hook and they're all screwed, plus they loudly announce their presence when they detect you or anyone else, so there's not even the jump out scare factor. (run-on) Well, there's Pigsaw, (Jigsaw apprentice in Pig mask) who pops up every so often to squeel at you, but that's about it until...
He actually attacks you. The game seems to expect you to run away from damn near every fight, luring foes into traps, so I guess they thought this was a given. Jigsaw actually gives you a hint on how to kill Pignati with the environment, even if he's already dead. Funny thing is, there's nothing stopping you from just brawling the ugly bastard. Oh sure, he'll grab/choke you, but that just makes it feel more like a fight, breaking free of his grasp to assault his midsection before wrestling for freedom again was just part of the fun for me. The guy who'd been trying his damnedest to scare me the whole game was fun, a joke.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Diamondback One said:
Just voted Dead Space because of your comment, as it is the scariest game I've played
Don't play many scary games? My first playthrough of Dead Space I went for the One Gun achievement, so severely lacking in beefy weaponry for myself, and the only enemy that made me fear for my life was the one that you couldn't kill with your weapons.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Get through the labs in Stalker without crapping yourself. I dare you.
I did that, the only issue I had was how to get out, til I realised I had to kill the poltergeist.

Also, going to mention one that nobody else has at all.
Haunting Ground on the PS2. A creepy little psychological puzzle game where you're chased the whole way through.
You have to hide, and you have a dog named Louie as your companion/weapon.

I recommend it for anyone who thinks Capcom can't write decent stories or create scary games anymore.
It received a very limited releases, but it is oh so good.
-Tabs<3-

Apr 3, 2010
Probably Amnesia for me. Not that I've played every game on that list.

Game that wasn't scary for me? Silent Hill 2. Because not a shit of a lot actually happened that was scary. Atmosphere is good and all but the only remotely scary parts is when Pyramid Head shows up. Which isn't very often and were commonly over rather quickly. It's still a very good game. But it just never made me afraid.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Easton Dark said:
Diamondback One said:
Just voted Dead Space because of your comment, as it is the scariest game I've played
Don't play many scary games? My first playthrough of Dead Space I went for the One Gun achievement, so severely lacking in beefy weaponry for myself, and the only enemy that made me fear for my life was the one that you couldn't kill with your weapons.
The regenerators are easy if you know what you're doing.
I recently finished the game on the hardest setting. I killed the first regenerator in under a minute and the second one with the rocket thrusters in under 30 seconds.
-Tabs<3-

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
lee1287 said:
Hmm. the regenerators in RE4 scared me too death, speccialy seeing as my brother put a recorder under my bed with there noise on... *shudders*
ME TOO!! They didn't so much scare me as creep me out, not because of how they looked simple because of the sound they made. When I'd walk into a room and heard them in the background I rushed to leave or kill'em just to end it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
For me, without a doubt, would be Amnesia and everyone knows why as many of my Escapist fellows bought the game and barely played it, if they played it at all. As for me, well, I'll eventually finish the game.

I'd put in there somewhere S.T.A.L.K.E.R., this game came before Amnesia and made me shat my pants before Amnesia.

As honorable mentions of games that made me shat myself are of course Silent Hill 1 & 2, Resident Evil (GC remake), Fatal Frame 2 and Minecraft (damn those pesky creepers).