Poll: SCARY GAMES!!!!!!

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I played the demo for Amnesia, in the dark at 2am wearing 7.1 headphones, I liked the mechanics but I honestly didn't find it scary I think I was more amused at the enemy design which was really unique.

The scariest game I've ever played is probably Fatal Frame, the timing of the encounters is brilliantly structured, it really makes you afraid to continue playing sometimes.

DCotE gets an honorable mention just for "Attack of the Fishmen" The whole level is simply terrifying, it starts when you wake up in the middle of the night with townsfolk with cleavers kicking down your door and you have no weapons, the whole level you're being hunted down and hallucinating.

Dead Space was a lot more disturbing than anything else, it was like playing Event Horizon.

I remember the first time I saw a bloodsucker in stalker. The room was almost pitch black and I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye so I looked, nothing there, then these eyes appeared under a staircase; I had about enough time to mutter,"What the hell?" before it was tearing me up. The rest of the encounter was spent with the fire button held down and I was jamming the medkit button while I was yelling, "Oh shit, oh god, oh shit!" I think I used something like six or seven sub-machine gun magazines and all my medkits. I paused the game after that and just spent the next minute regaining my wits.

Poopster

Dec 23, 2010
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.
Travelling in the dark is just damn scary in STALKER, you're always thinking of something might jump and kill you whether it be humans or mutants...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
One bit near the beginning of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is definitely up near the top. Unfortunately it's the only real horror part. Fortunately, it's a fucking awesome game, and everybody reading this should buy it. Now. Steam. $20. Now.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Mark Chance Frost said:
Its really interesting that no-one has mentioned F.E.A.R., a game that prides itself on being scary.
I was thinking the same thing. I loved F.E.A.R., and I could not bring myself to play straight through. I had to stop from time to time to take a breather. That game really creeped me the fuck out!

Honorable mention:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Those fucking bloodsuckers are the most horrifying enemy I have ever encountered. You can't see them, they can absorb TONS of bullets, and they pretty much eat your face. Yeah, they scare the hell outta me every time!

dogmachines

Mar 24, 2009
FEAR is one of the top horror games for me. I know you are have bullet time and are a general bad-ass, but that makes it worse that you can't do anything to Alma and Fettel. I love the way it generally paces things pretty well up until Perseus Mandate. FEAR 2 was a let down for me though, seemed like it abandoned the pacing and tension-building in favor of monsters jumping out. One of the things about the original is that at only one point in the game do you fight anything paranormal outside of the hallucinations, and jump scares are extremely rare because they don't need them to make you scare quit. All you need is that blurry filter that means shit just got real.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
omgct said:
don't know if its been mentioned, but anyone remember a game called project zero on ps2 and xbox? scared the heck out of me in my mid teens
Fatal frame is called Project zero in Europe.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Three words, Siren blood curse.

Creepy flying Japanese guys with moth wings on their faces, and grotesque deformed monsters hanging from a the ceilings of a very dark mineshaft whom of which cannot be killed.

Fuck that Shit!

I've seen some creepy shit in my time (see the project zero/fatal frame series) but that just takes the cake. You need to have it played it yourself to know just how scary it is.

Also eternal darkness isn't scary, except for a certain scary... bath scene.

Psycho78

Jan 12, 2011
Metro 2033 is creeping me out, the desolation and those odd shadows in the tunnels that don't match the people walking through.

One game I can say wasn't scary was F.E.A.R. Dumb game, and the scary little girl thing has been done to death. Glad I didn't pay much for it.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Psycho78 said:
Metro 2033 is creeping me out, the desolation and those odd shadows in the tunnels that don't match the people walking through.
Those shadows were extremely unsettling for me. I always made sure I stayed far away from them.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Silent Hill 2, oh the terror

Dead Space is more of an adrenaline game, which I also very love.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Silent Hill was scary, sure, and the series is probably my favourite of all time, but... it takes a lot more these days to make me feel actually afraid for my character. The one that made me sweat recently was of course Amnesia: The Dark Descent, because I just plain don't like first-person ever since I saw my dad playing Doom as a little wartling.

"But you can't see 3/4 of your surroundings! You can't see anything! How can you play this?!"

I've toughened up in the scare department since then, but I still never quite got over those surprise attacks from every side. How can you predict something when you have such a tiny field of vision and the creature's footsteps make no noise?! Amnesia was nicer in that department, having your allowance of vision be somehow a bit bigger, but that didn't mean that you were safe. It helped that the monsters made a tell-tale noise every time they entered a room, so you could hide.

Scariest games for me? Silent Hill 1 and 3, Fatal Frame, Penumbra, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Resident Evil Remake. I'm sure I'm forgetting one, but I can't think of what it could- SIREN. Eeeuugh.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I picked up Silent Hill 2 at a market and never played because I was too scared. A few weeks ago my mate came round and asked me if it was any good. I told him, "I don't know, I'm too scared to play it."

He laughed and called me a wimp. He started playing it, with me watching, every now and then we'd swap over. The fear in the room was unbelievable.

He hasn't come back since that night.

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
I have to say, I rented Dead Space 2
The game is fun. Really like the game, but I insist that game is not scary.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Unfortunately, it's near impossible for games to really get under my skin. Some can have some very good jumpy or tense moments though.

My first time playing F.E.A.R. was pretty creepy, I enjoyed that I felt safer being shot at than being alone in the dark, silent areas.

From the list, I voted Amnesia. It's the most recent game that was the most tense for me. When you hear a monster bust into the next room looking for you and the game practically tells you "Hey, you better fucking hide NOW, you have no defenses!", shit starts getting real.

It had a very good creepy atmosphere... like being in a nightmare, trying to hide from monsters you can't fight or even look at (because they'll find you faster if you do).

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Out of those, Silent Hill (2), though I haven't played all the games on that list. I don't consider games like doom3 or dead space to be scary; sure it's dark and every once in a while something jumps out at you, but that just startles the player. Horror is in atmosphere, in using several factors to create a sense of dread, like something is terribly wrong but you can't quite put your finger on it, and to pull this off a certain degree of subtlety is required (which those games lack). It's just like movies: the vast majority of horror films isn't even remotely creepy because so many filmmakers think a few sudden, loud noises and a couple of buckets of blood make a horror flick.
On a sidenote, I only just remembered Penumbra. That would be my #1 if I hadn't been so quick to vote.