Poll: SCARY GAMES!!!!!!

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Levi93 said:
Riddle78 said:
Play Minecraft,then think.

YOU are the only human on the planet.
Yet there are obviously humanoid Zombies and Skeletons.
THEY were once YOU.
The Zombies look EXACTLY LIKE YOUR DEFAULT SKIN,only the flesh is green.
When you die,you respawn. You can never die,and must live forever and alone in this death world.
Think about it.

Also,go into a dark tunnel with a stone sword,and 16 torches. Psychological horror at it's finest.
gotta agree with you there.
Dispite the game not being classed as horror it sent shivers down my spine at some parts.
When I first started playing I was in a cave that I knew for certain had no monsters in it when the cave ambience more popularly known as the banshee scream played. I left the cave, went over the closest mountain and never went back thinking for sure that something in there wanted to eat my face.

That game has given me nightmares, nightmares in a world full of blocks and green explodie things

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
Riddle78 said:

THEY were once YOU.
When you die,you respawn. You can never die,and must live forever and alone in this death world.
Think about it.

Also,go into a dark tunnel with a stone sword,and 16 torches. Psychological horror at it's finest.
Hissssssssss...

Pure. Terror.

On a more serious note, I'd have to go with Amnesia. I still haven't gotten through the prison. I'm just too damn terrified.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Not finding Condemned all that scary :C durgged up humans not all that scary but the parts were you go a bit crazy are dam awesome and have me pissing my pants. dead space is lacking horror all together BUT if you think of it as an action game it makes more sence.

Going with silent hill(2) on this one because you don't have to see monsters to get scared example the storeroom in silent hill 3 made my head explode.

I am infact downloading Amnesia The Dark Descent with high hopes :D but I played a few hide and seek horror games and they get boring and old fast(most of all clocktower 3). Please reinstall my fath in PC games Amnesia.

EDIT: Dam amnesia scares the carp out of me if only I could re vote 10 out of 10 for scares
but 8 out of 10 for play ability but is second in my scary games quest :D

worst horror game would be clocktower 3 just not scary at all ghosts and hammer murders ha not scary boo (still waiting for my copy of fatal frame/project zero 2)

MAUSZX said:
So with Guillermo del Toro announcing a new Horror game. I was thinking, there are not a lot of scary games isn't. Maybe they are but I didn't notice them.
So, for you what games are damn scary?
You can also point out which game is not scary but everyone is talking about that.

FOR EXAMPLE.
I think one scary game is Condemned.
One not scary game is Dead space. NOT FOR ME

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
My vote goes to Condemned: Criminal Origins; you have very limited acces to firearms (mostly melee), the enemies are real, fucked up, humans and your character freaks out pretty bad from time to time.

That locker scene D:

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
The only 2 that I have played on the list are Dead Space (1&2) and Amnesia.

I think that Dead Space is more of a sudden scare, then it just turns to combat, whilst Amnesia is more psychological.

For me Amnesia is MUCH more scary to play.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Phlakes said:
I am so glad nobody voted for Dead Space yet. It's not scary at all. In fact, I was just playing the DS2 demo, and I jumped once because I had the volume up and that big thing crashed down. But not once did I feel any tension.
I've only played Dead Space 1 so far, and it's funny, the game starts out rather frightening. Then it's as if the game is self aware that it's out of tricks, so it just throws monsters at you all willy nilly. "Welp, all that great first area atmosphere in the first areas is great, but... I'm out of ideas. We can always just throw the horde at the player." "Brilliant!" Then it turned into an action game.

OP: Amnesia the Dark Decent dominated the scary department. Towards the end, you caught on to some things, but everything was always extremely unnerving. It's actually not a very long game, but it was so unnerving, that it took me a month to beat it.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
e2density said:
Not Resident Evil. I love the games, RE4 is at the top of my list, but they just aren't scary as much as they are action.
The games were progressively less survival horror the higher the number climbed. RE1 (and by extension, REmake for the 'cube) was the scariest. RE2 was still scary, but definitely more action compared to the first. RE3 was scary with the atmosphere nemesis created, but also a massive jump in action. RE4 was unnerving, certainly, but almost all action. RE5 destroyed the scares entirely when it brought in Co-Op, and suddenly it was completely action with some holloween decorations. (Of course all those games in between lay somewhere between scary and action.)

I personally feel that Resident Evil REmake for the cube/Wii was the best incarnation of scares and acting, and graphics. Also RE5: Lost in Shadows DLC was proof that they COULD have made a scary game with their engine, and even co-op, but opted not to. My first time through that DLC was the best. :)

Black Phoenix

Iridescence
Sep 19, 2010
Got to go with Amnesia here, as I still can't make myself go back to it. Yeah, I know, I'm a wimp. I think it's the lack of ability to defend yourself that gets me the most with that game...

I haven't played many of the others admittedly, though i have played the first Project Zero (Fatal Frame) game, and I have to say i didn't find it all that scary (at least, not until towards the end anyway). That said, I did still enjoy it enough to buy the second, so we'll see. I will get the third, as soon as I have some money...

I really enjoyed F.E.A.R. as well, and it had it's moments when it got to me. I thought the first expansion (Extraction Point) was good as well, the Perseus Mandate was disappointing, and I don't remember being scared at any point during F.E.A.R. 2.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
I thought that the medical ward and most of the other places in bioshock 1 were pretty scary, especially when the lights went out... and that surgeon guy.... yknow what, Id rather not talk about this...

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
It's a tie between Penumbra-Amnesia/Silent Hill.
In SH The combat is no messy and simply terrible you may aswell run away, causing tension and simple fear that the monster is hot on your heels.
The same with Amnesia and Penumbra, except in Amnesia your only means of defense are : Sprint Function, luring the monster away, or hide in a cupboard and suck your thumb.

EDIT : I guesse Minecraft is just simply Creepy.
Look at the monsters. They're just like you, except mutailations and simply disasters and monstrous figures of what was once the Civilization of the Lost Island that you, A senseless Amnesiac has stumbled into.
Leave it to an Indie Creativity-Tool to be one of the Scariest games of 2010. =P
I guesse it also scares you even it you're safe and you know it.
Sometimes you can be inside a giant fort you built and even tested it. Some music plays, and then you wet your pants for no reason.
I guesse you could say that Minecraft is an "Unintented Physcological-Horror" game. Someone really neewds to come up with a name for that Genre-- Hey! I think I just found a new Video-game Syndrome! Minecraft Syndrome! A game that is cute and charming, but on the inside it has a carving knife and your dead dog's head!

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Riddle78 said:

THEY were once YOU.
Think about it.

Im I the only one who thinks that its an apocolypse caused by the nazis, I mean the skeletans goosestep!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
The first time I played the demo for Amnesia it was at midnight, in a dark room and I was wearing headphones. I didn't even get up to the first monster encounter because the game had me so wound up. I've heard the fatal frame games are supposed to be pretty scary too. I have a friend who played it and she was afraid to be in a dark room for a while.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Fatal frame is the scariest on that list.

I'm surprised people actually find Amnesia that scary, the monsters always spawns at predictable times, the environment is more moody than really scary (no mirrors playing tricks or that sort of thing, just the occasional door opening) and by the time you figure out that you can hold stuff in front of the monster so he can't see you the game has turned into a mediocre item collection-styled puzzle game.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
The name of that topic needs more exclamation marks.
Anyway people have said before that Minecraft is a goldmine of unintentional horror, especially when those chords play that build up an atmosphere of extreme tension, the best part is I'm often not in any danger at all. I could be in my castle, totally secure then *short creepy music* "OH GOD I'M GOING TO DIE!"

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
kman123 said:
IMO: Condemned. Number 2 kinda fucked up towards the end, but it had some incredibly scary and memorable moments.
Like this?

I voted for Condemned, due to the fact that it is an actual scenario that can happen in real life. you aren't fighting monsters or mutants, you are fighting people.

That is scary.

Ziltoid

Sep 29, 2009
PerkoApple said:
Thank you for giving me a bunch of new games to try out (if any of these are on PS3).

I've never played it, but I heard that Aliens (a computer game, I don't think it was on any system) was really scary. You're a first person shooter and walking around dark corridors as aliens pop out at you.

My buddy tried showing it to me but as it turns out his computer will no longer support it :-(
You should try Siren: Blood Curse, it's on psn. The gameplay is outdated but it is absolutely terrifying.

Out of the ones on the list I voted Condemned, although I am about an hour into Amnesia and I am really liking it so far. Very unnerving.