Poll: Scone or scone?

Uberjoe19

Spartacus
Jan 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Uberjoe19 said:
As a Southern American, I typically drink coffee more so than tea, but I do like my iced tea on a hot summer day. Tea for me is for relaxation after a hard day's work, and not meant for the middle of the day.

And I don't usually eat anything with my tea. When I do, it's usually cookies (or biscuits, as my British friends refer to them as) or a bit of watermelon when they're in season.
Ah hell yeah. I drink tea all year round. Too hot for normal tea? Iced tea! Hooray! The most refreshing drink ever.
YES! It's really good any time of year. Too cold for iced tea? OF COURSE IT ISN'T!

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Grab-bag said:
Now, in england there is the never ending argument of wether the word scone is pronounced scone- rhyming with stone (Which it is!) Or scone- rhyming with one. It is scone rhymoing with stone as when it is just o-n-e, it is on sounding, but as soon as you add letters infront of this the sound becomes and Own sound. What do you think?!

(Note, you americans would call a scone a biscuit i think!)
In fact, we use either "sc-own" (scone), or "funky bread thing" (scone).

Aug 25, 2009
I kinda use both, it depends on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I get really posh, and go with sc-own, other times I'm a little less posh and go with sc-on.

I don't really ever eat enough to make it a problem though.

Dec 14, 2009
Uberjoe19 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Uberjoe19 said:
As a Southern American, I typically drink coffee more so than tea, but I do like my iced tea on a hot summer day. Tea for me is for relaxation after a hard day's work, and not meant for the middle of the day.

And I don't usually eat anything with my tea. When I do, it's usually cookies (or biscuits, as my British friends refer to them as) or a bit of watermelon when they're in season.
Ah hell yeah. I drink tea all year round. Too hot for normal tea? Iced tea! Hooray! The most refreshing drink ever.
YES! It's really good any time of year. Too cold for iced tea? OF COURSE IT ISN'T!
Seriously, nothing quenches thirst more than ice tea, what's in it? Fucking win that's what.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
orangebandguy said:
Sc-on.

Sc-own makes me sound like a complete ass.

Scones are good with tea, but a rarely eat them anymore.
Agreed. Besides, even if it isn't a Sc-on, then they should just say it anyway, it sounds better :p

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Kiwibloke said:
Sc-own if I wish to be sounding posh.
Sc-on any other time.
... I love your avatar it makes me think you're very confused why anyone would ever posta nything on a forum. I lawl every time.

Anyway, really? I've never heard it any other way than long o over here in teh states. But it is english thingy so... maybe we're wrong? We butcher your stuff fairly often.

Uberjoe19

Spartacus
Jan 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Uberjoe19 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Uberjoe19 said:

Seriously, nothing quenches thirst more than ice tea, what's in it? Fucking win that's what.
A truer statement has never been made.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
it is "sc-on", it gives the correct pronunciation in the fucking dictionary (the OXFORD one of course http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/scone?view=uk), idiots. That's what the greek letters are there for! God I hate this argument. I'm posh and even I use a hard o.

scone (say it quickly, it's sounds like "'s gone" har har har)

edit: just realised I ate one about 10 minutes ago, yay relevance?

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Daveman said:
it is "sc-on", it gives the correct pronunciation in the fucking dictionary, idiots. That's what the greek letters are there for! God I hate this argument. I'm posh and even I use a hard o.

language can change over time...

see old english.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Plurralbles said:
Daveman said:
it is "sc-on", it gives the correct pronunciation in the fucking dictionary, idiots. That's what the greek letters are there for! God I hate this argument. I'm posh and even I use a hard o.

language can change over time...

see old english.
yes, well right now it's "scone" like "on" or "gone". Says so in the oxford english dictionary so the definitive answer is that.