Poll: Scotch

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
On my 21st birthday, instead of throwing a rager or buying a lot of cheap booze, I went to a local cigar bar, bought a Davidoff (cigar), got a glass of Johnny Walker Blue neat in a snifter, and watched a local jazz band play their set. It was utterly divine.

To this day, scotch has become my relaxation drink de jour. I will not drink anything lower in quality than a 12 year Glenlivet, and do very much enjoy my 18 year Glenfidditch.

mr141177

Jan 21, 2013
I drank scotch until i got blind off some good stuff one day(curse you Glenfiddich!! also More Beer!!) now my body thinks the stuff is poison. so i have to pass on all occasions, makes me sad sometimes

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Fatboy_41 said:
BoredAussieGamer said:
I won't touch any scotch younger than 12 years.

I generally try it neat, then decide whether or not to add 2 drops of water.
May I ask, why don't you touch anything younger than 12 years? I've had some horrible Scotches older than 12 years and some amazing ones as young as 5.
Bad experience generally.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I do love me some scotch. Lagavulin 16 years is heaven made liquid form. I also enjoy Dalmore, Ardberg, Aberlour etc...

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
All scotch, regardless of quality, tastes like paint stripper to me. I'm a Gin man.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
gunny1993 said:
All scotch, regardless of quality, tastes like paint stripper to me. I'm a Gin man.
Gin is wonderful. High five.

I only drink gin and beer these days. I have tried scotch, but I really didn't care for it.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Chapper said:

I only drink gin and beer these days. I have tried scotch, but I really didn't care for it.
As I do to all Gin drinkers, I shall recommend "Hendricks" Scottish Gin, one of the nicest things I have ever drunk.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I do like whiskey and Gin, but can't really say that with a huge amount of confidence, because most of the stuff I drink is cheap liquor store stuff, and I haven't tried many different brands or years.

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
Hoplon said:
Like a Speyside, the Macallen being my personal choice.
Macallan is such a good scotch :) generally sweet, sometimes salty :) hummmm

OP: I don't know anything about bourbon (I'm a Canadian and we don't really have any up north), but I know my way around Irish, Scottish and "Elsewherish" whisky! :).
You are right about the "subjectiveness" of the scotch :) The "Quebec-Whisky Club" as this saying "There's a whisky for everyone" and they are particularity right on this with scotch. If you're looking for a nice experience, try a "Amrut Fusion" (Idian Whisky) or Arran Single Malt (10y) for a salty scotch. For a peated whisky, you never forget your first Lagavulin 16y :)

Good luck! :) Good whisky! Sláinte!

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
gunny1993 said:
Chapper said:

As I do to all Gin drinkers, I shall recommend "Hendricks" Scottish Gin, one of the nicest things I have ever drunk.
Yes, Hendricks is very good. I always go for that one if I see they have it at the bar.

Godlikebuthumble

Sep 10, 2008
I'm more of an Ireland fan in that regard. Bushmills is awesome. I still mostly drink beer, but Bushmills is my liquor of choice.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Copper Zen said:
What say you? ^_^
Well it was Germany so I was drinking beer >.>

And more importantly I don't really drink scotch sooo... Sorry? XD

I really only drink bourbon and "normal" whiskey. Also wine.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I love the Glenfiddich 12 and 16 year old ones. Though it's too expensive for me. So I usually go with Jameson Irish whisky. Or if I want something a little more special, Chivas Regal.

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Haven't drank it much, more of a vodka/whiskey drinker myself, but I am opening up to more drinks (becoming more open to wine) But I remember scotch being kind of unpleasant at the time.
Just wanted to point out, Scotch is a style of whiskey.

OT: I tend to lean more towards Irish whiskeys myself but now and then, I pick up a bottle of Johnny Walker.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I don't even alcohol. But I HAVE tasted scotch, once!

... it's like drinking flaming gasoline mixed with tar, pepper spray and menthol.

So no, I don't like it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I don't really drink it, but then again I'm not much of a drinker. I've tried to cut back on that and so I generally stick to a rare beer or a little wine. I haven't tasted a lot, but I do kinda like how it feels going down though. I want it in moderation though, I want the taste not the hangover.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Meh. I prefer Irish Whiskey and Bourbon/American Whiskey (especially Rye whiskey. Rye is the shit) over Scotch. The only time Scotch gets a look in is when the alternative is one of those sickly sweet american whiskeys (okay, to be fair, also sickly sweet Canadian whiskey) or those 'new' flavoured whiskeys. Horrible shit.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
So, first of all let me say that those who are underage shouldn't drink and whatnot.

OK, with the PSA out of the way, who else among the Escapist are scotch drinkers? Aficionados? Or are you interested in enjoying this particular brand of bourbon? If you're already a fan, do you have a favorite brand? Or a favorite region of <a href=http://www.scotlandwhisky.com/about/single-malt-scotch-whiskyregions>the 5 producing scotch regions?

Personally, I've tried a few brands and vintages of scotch. So far, and this is always subject to change pending new information, I am a huge fan of <a href=http://www.theglenlivet.com/agegateway?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.theglenlivet.com%2f>The Glenlivet. Preferably 18 year old or more. 12 is OK, but still a bit tougher to enjoy.

I'm no stranger to enjoying a spirit now and again. But scotch seems to be such a subjective thing with so many facets to the culture surrounding it. I'm still a novice at best, but eagerly I try to sample a new brand or vintage at any given opportunity. I've learned that scotch has quite a subculture surrounding it. And I hope I can one day join the ranks of the seasoned veterans.

:)
I am actually from scotland and im not too keen on it. sure ill drink it but i think its pretty bland and its usually drunk by rich arseholes trying to show off. Its more of a status thing rather than enjoying it because you genuinely enjoy it. kinda like caviar nobody actually likes it (c'mon its fish eggs, i cant even eat regular store bought sushi without throwing up) but they eat it because it makes them look more important.

Im not too sure about the north but you see a guy in glasgow in a pub with a glass of scotch you know hes a tourist

i like this shit though, this shit is pretty damn tasty. i know its not scotch