Poll: Secret Trophies/Achievement

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
I recently purchased Batman: Arkham Asylum (loved it) and I noticed there were a number of secret trophies listed. I was extremely disappointed when almost all these "secret" trophies were unlocked during normal story events. This made me wonder why the developers bothered to make these the "secret" trophies when they could've made the more challenging ones secret. So, now I want to know what all of you think about secret trophies.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I don't mind them if they are spoilers, there ae several in Bioshock which would spoilt the game if I had found out

Aunel

May 9, 2008
only when they are extremely strange as in: throw a motor bike into a car while driving a bicycle .

that's the true fun about gamer score, doing random things and being awarded for it

Metalteeth9

Apr 16, 2009
Some games, secret achievements help to prevent you from knowing the story, those are fine.

But when Guitar Hero games have secret achievements....
Guitar Hero had so many secret achievements for no reason...

Stamp Of Approval 5
You created your own band logo
One Of A Kind Axe 5
You created your own custom guitar
Warrior Of Rock 5
You created a male band member
Custom Beats 5
You created your own custom drums
Rock Maiden 5
You created a female band member
Inked 5
You created a custom tattoo
Leading Lady 10
You rocked out as Hayley Williams
The Experience 10
You rocked out as Jimi Hendrix
The Dark Prince 10
You rocked out as Ozzy Osbourne
Pumpkin Smasher 10
You rocked out as Billy Corgan
Bad to the Bone 10
You rocked out as the Skeleton
Wylde Man 10
You rocked out as Zack Wylde
Motorcity Madman 10
You rocked out as Ted Nugent
Don't Blink 10
You rocked out as Travis Barker
Shiny Metal Thingy 10
You rocked out as the Rockubot
Guitarist's Coattails 10
Get the highest score in the band as the lead or bass guitar (4 player band)
Vocalist's Coattails 10
You got the highest score in a band as the vocalist
1.21 Jigowatts?!?! 15
All band members activated star power at the same time
Super Group Unite 15
You earned an 8x multiplier with the rest of the band at the same time
Axe Museum 20
You unlocked all of the guitars
Get Your Boogie On 30
You scored 222,222 or higher on the song Satch Boogie as the Lead guitarist
Muse to My Ears 30
You scored 222,222 or higher on the song Assassin as a Drummer
Mike Checka' 30
You scored 123,450 or higher on the song Beat It as a Vocalist
Heavy Metall? 35
You scored 444,444 or more on the song Trapped Under Ice
TOOL of Destruction 35
You scored 444,444 or more on the song Schism

For a game with no story, it has more "secret" achievements than most story based games....which is stupid.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
I don't mind them if they are spoilers, there ae several in Bioshock which would spoilt the game if I had found out
Even if they are just there to prevent spoilers, I don't think that achievements for normal game progression are entirely necessary other than perhaps one for just beating the game. In that case, I would think that they would be kind of a dumb idea. If they were "secret" wouldn't it just be guesswork as to how to actually get them?

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I like it because it means people can't just play games for Gamerscore. They actually have to do things that perhaps they didn't expect to be expected...

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Proteus214 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Even if they are just there to prevent spoilers, I don't think that achievements for normal game progression are entirely necessary other than perhaps one for just beating the game. In that case, I would think that they would be kind of a dumb idea. If they were "secret" wouldn't it just be guesswork as to how to actually get them?
Well what about doing some of the levels in cod4? They are achievements getting through on veteran or Bioshock on hard with no respawns, you deserve to have some achievements for getting through tough parts
Secret ones that have no involvement in the storyline are dumb but you can find them out from a million and one achievement site

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
Aunel said:
only when they are extremely strange as in: throw a motor bike into a car while driving a bicycle .

that's the true fun about gamer score, doing random things and being awarded for it
That's the kind of secret trophy I prefer as well.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
They really need to find a way to time stamp the hidden achievements so that they reveal themselves after you pass the point in the game where it would have been a spoiler.

Recently I was playing Blazblue and over half of the achievements are "secret." Well if it's no going to be unlocked through normal play and something special needs to be done please tell me instead of giving me the "more information will become available on this achievement after unlock." How am I supposed to know that to get an achievement I need to fight Bang as Bang and have both go into their super mode distortion? Bleep bloop Bangarang. Aren't we clever with out secret achievement name.

My main issue is why does it have to be titled as a secret achievement. At least if I had the achievement's name Bangarang instead of a blank slot labeled secret I would have known there had to be something to do with the Bang character. I guess to sum up my complaint is that secret achievements offer no clue as to what they are. Go ahead and avoid giving us specifics like go here with character A and do move B on large object C, but at least give us some clue.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Proteus214 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Well what about doing some of the levels in cod4? They are achievements getting through on veteran or Bioshock on hard with no respawns, you deserve to have some achievements for getting through tough parts
Secret ones that have no involvement in the storyline are dumb but you can find them out from a million and one achievement site
Well obviously those things are a bit more significant. I'm talking more about when something pops up like "Achievement Unlocked! You beat Level 2!" That just seems silly to me. Something more like "You beat the final level using the weakest weapon in the game!" seems like an achievement to me.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Proteus214 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Proteus214 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Well obviously those things are a bit more significant. I'm talking more about when something pops up like "Achievement Unlocked! You beat Level 2!" That just seems silly to me. Something more like "You beat the final level using the weakest weapon in the game!" seems like an achievement to me.
Okay I see where you are coming from but some achievements should be able to be earned just for playing the main campaign, maybe defeating a badass boss
Achievements for beating levels is a maybe, think about doing Cod4 on veteran and not getting an achievement for each level
I really depends on the game I think

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I was a bit shocked when playing Mirror's Edge and one of the 'Secret' achievements is flipping someone off. That just didn't make sense to me.

I like the idea of them being listed as Secret when it could provide a hint or spoiler in the game. They do need to be unlocked via some sort of regular or exploratory progression. I think some developers have their achievements listed as Secret just so you buy the game guide and they make another few bucks off you.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Proteus214 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Proteus214 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Okay I see where you are coming from but some achievements should be able to be earned just for playing the main campaign, maybe defeating a badass boss
Achievements for beating levels is a maybe, think about doing Cod4 on veteran and not getting an achievement for each level
I really depends on the game I think
Absolutely, (I haven't played any of the CoD games) if veteran difficulty for just one level is a significant accomplishment, then that would work, but one for each level? I think something incremental like the "What are you trying to prove?" achievement in L4D for surviving every campaign on expert would be appropriate.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
yeah,the secret story ones are a attempt to not spoil the plot,unless you think a trophy called kicked crap outta pengiun coming right after beat hell out of scarecrow doesn't spoil the order or who you will fight.now there are better examples I could use,but you get the idea.

besides,I just use gamewinners to find out achievements and tend to be more relaxed about trophys,almost not caring and refusing to give up a hell of a good time for a trophy.

now relax and kill convicts,okay?

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Only if they are spoilers, like 'Kill the Big Bad Guy at the End' and 'Complete Important Plot Mission X'. But if they are something like 'Blow up 5 Buildings with a Helicopter' I dislike them.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Well, let's say you just bought the game. You check out the achievements and you see this bad boy on the list:
"Defeat Titan Joker"
It kinda wrecks the mood for when you finally get to the end, doesn't it?

olee12343

Jun 23, 2009
Secret Achievements, IMO, should only be used in plot achievements that give away too much of the story. However, some games go overkill on the secret achievements (I'm looking at you Dynasty Warriors 6).