Poll: Should 4chan be "hunted" down?

LordLoudmouth

Dec 29, 2009
The cyberpolice are already on the way to 4chan...
The consequences will never be the same...except when it happens again

blubbyblubbyblub

Feb 19, 2008
PrototypeC said:
You cannot slay anonymous! It's like an infinitely-headed hydra, and half the heads are penises.

OT: I don't think that the whole of 4chan, or even most of /b/, needs to be hunted. The very fact that the website exists is a good thing; it's a place for various types of internet users to congregate, and as long as the trolls and other people doing things "for the lulz" are confined to /b/, despite the occasional breakout, then that is better than them being everywhere else, like the Escapist.
It has over 9000 thousand penises that are all raping children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liYfhRgXGk

Kittenmauler

Aug 19, 2009
Trevor Cooper said:
Justice from the law, court, etc.. is different from revenge.
To clear up my general statement earlier: no, I don't think people should go unpunished for their crimes. I happen to believe in the the death penalty for murderers. What I was trying to convey is that cyber-hunting is wrong! You have no more right to judge a person than I do... That is why we have a legal system, do I think it always works? no. Do I think that it's the best option we've got? for now yes.

Do you get what I'm trying to say here people? apparently not...

-Trodo "Trevor" Baggins
That's the beauty of 4chan, a lot of the people committing the crimes (usually animal cruelty) are anonymous, and the authorities don't really care. 4chan finds them and makes their identity known so justice can be served.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Yes. They are not funny, they are not the almighty brigade of internet tough guys everyone thinks they are, they are a bunch of insecure, mindless, argle bargle why am I even bothering.
Elitist much? YOU don't think they're funny. YOU think they're mindless. So therefore they're worthless. So you're right-don't bother.
I know those things. I know that a seventeen year old sitting back from his computer going "yeah, I posted that meme like a boss" is a fucking subnormal. I know going screeching across the internet because somebody on YouTube hurt your feelings is for children. I know saying you're going to bring down Scientology by wearing masks in front of their churches is for simpletons. And I know people are ridiculously afraid of them.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
yron33 said:
Haseo21 said:
NO! Sure 4chan is the asshole of the internet, but the internet needs an asshole goddammit. Plus they bring some good, i mean, their probably the ones who are gonna stop the Justin Bieber crusader kid.......they are our only hope!
Yes the internet needs an asshole but the bieber crusader kid is a troll himself tho,

Love your avatar!

<--------/b/tard
Why thank you, love yours as well

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Corporal Bill said:
Geekosaurus said:
I imagine it's almost impossible to trace members of 4chan. As summed up by this pretty decent quote:

'There is no head to cut off. It's a conglomerate. If one of them betrays the principles of the accrual of money and power, the others betray him. What it is is human weakness. You can't kill that with a gun.'

Cookies for anyone that knows what this is a quote from. Without using Google.
Shooter I think?

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Yes. They are not funny, they are not the almighty brigade of internet tough guys everyone thinks they are, they are a bunch of insecure, mindless, argle bargle why am I even bothering.
Elitist much? YOU don't think they're funny. YOU think they're mindless. So therefore they're worthless. So you're right-don't bother.
I know those things. I know that a seventeen year old sitting back from his computer going "yeah, I posted that meme like a boss" is a fucking subnormal. I know going screeching across the internet because somebody on YouTube hurt your feelings is for children. I know saying you're going to bring down Scientology by wearing masks in front of their churches is for simpletons. And I know people are ridiculously afraid of them.
You're failing right out of the box, sonny. Who the fuck ever said I was an Anonymous? Way to assume. But that seems to be your modus operandi, so I'm not suprised really. Newsflash: Just because YOU don't think something is right, or worthy doesn't make it so. Here's one: I think your video games are idiotic. What say we get rid of those, too?
Christ on sale, jackass, I'm using the royal you. Not everything is about Swollen Goat's self-involved little life.

Also, it's really fucking funny when you call people "elitist."
You're right. I should have known that you weren't talking about me when you quoted me and used the word 'you'. That makes perfect sense. Really? I know it's not all about me, big guy. But I'm not the one wanting to shut down a website because I find it 'subnormal'.

And do tell me how I'm the one being elitist by calling YOU out on it. Please.
I love how you keep trying to turn around the fact that you're (and I mean you, Swollen Goat, this time) easily confused into an insult towards me.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
You're failing right out of the box, sonny. Who the fuck ever said I was an Anonymous? Way to assume. But that seems to be your modus operandi, so I'm not suprised really. Newsflash: Just because YOU don't think something is right, or worthy doesn't make it so. Here's one: I think your video games are idiotic. What say we get rid of those, too?
Christ on sale, jackass, I'm using the royal you. Not everything is about Swollen Goat's self-involved little life.

You're right. I should have known that you weren't talking about me when you quoted me and used the word 'you'. That makes perfect sense. Really? I know it's not all about me, big guy. But I'm not the one wanting to shut down a website because I find it 'subnormal'.

I love how you keep trying to turn around the fact that you're (and I mean you, Swollen Goat, this time) easily confused into an insult towards me.
Wow, so no answer to enlighten poor stupid little me, eh? Sounds to me like you're too elitist to help, or you don't actually have any answers. Care to answer THAT one?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS? DO YOU NEED HELP?

Trevor L. Cooper

Mar 18, 2010
Kittenmauler, (nice name by the way, really) I'm not saying that those things were bad...
The girl who was drowning puppies got what she deserved, from the law, because of 4chan.
But situations in which someone has their life, job, or personal dignity ripped away from them because of a post on a forum, or because of a text they sent, or yes, because of the lulz (which 4chan has given me from time to time)isn't good sir.
To publicly humiliate someone because of a mistake, or just to be a /b/tard is ridiculous...
And it can get out of hand (e.g. Oprah and the 9000 penises).
Sure it was funny, yeah I laughed too, but She took that seriously.
What some users in the Anon community fail to realize is that sometimes the lulz get out of hand and people IRL (like Oprah) get involved.
That is why people who use their web/gaming (XBL/PSN) powers for good (me, the people of Extra Credit, LLR, Escapist) are constantly having to defend our beloved medium whenever a case is brought up to try and shut it down or regulate what goes on in it...
This includes the 4chan debate!

-Trodo "Trevor" Baggins

KyriaAsimi

Apr 27, 2010
No. Because I like them. I like them in their joke spawning, rick rolling, lolwuting, shock site directing, rule 34'ing, terrible, hilarious glory.

Now I don't 4chan, but i do ED, and I enjoy myself.

I also like that there is an bogeyman on the internet to try to keep people from being retarded, despite the fact that it is mostly noneffective. I mean, how many people who did anonymous retarded things on the internet got tracked down and their identities exposed? They identified Goatse, for god's sake. That's dedication.

Regular Guy

Sep 4, 2010
Trevor Cooper said:
Regular Guy said:
OP is a ******.

I think one of the great things about 4chan is anonymity and lack of accountability. It lets people be who they actually are, not bound by social or legal conventions. Is it that hard to believe that on the inside, people are heartless and cruel most of the time?

Either way, even if you wanted to bring down 4chan, you couldn't.
You have repeated what I just said... Here's a cookie!

If you really read clearly you'd find that I said that the world tends to be horrible as can the people in it. War, famine, murder, etc...
But what separates the "world" from the internet is accountability.
Now, I know that people are going to continue to do whatever they want on the net no matter what I say...

But think for 2 seconds about these peoples' lives. Sure you here about someone's Facebook account being hacked and you lol. But what about people like my family who get their bank account hacked, simply so you can buy a few more months on WoW.
Meanwhile, my family goes hungry for night... Where's the lol there my friend?

Side: I don't know who OP is, and I don't care, but it's that kind of language and behavior that gives these fanatic groups steam to try and get rid of net-neutrality and make courts listen to banning video games cases. If we all took a little time and thought about the back-biting and name calling that occur in these artistic mediums, then maybe people would begin to accept us "Gamers" as fellow people and we wouldn't be looked at as "Freaks"!

-Trodo (Trevor) Baggins

P.S. I already said that i was pro 4chan. I think it's great that people have a place where they feel accepted, but it's when I hear about those same people cyber-terrorizing someone that I have a problem with it. No one should have the right to play Judge/Jury/Executioner. Not on 4chan, not IRL.
Could you project any harder? Just because people think you're a freak doesn't mean they think the same of me. I tend to be popular and well liked, actually.

4chan doesn't hack random Facebook pages or bank accounts, despite some Anon's posting personal army threads to get exactly that to happen. /b/ tends to hit back only when someone does something that strikes a chord and pisses them off as a whole, which is pretty rare.

Edit: What the fuck does /b/ have to do with gaming anyway?

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
Swollen Goat said:
Dr. Whiggs said:

Wow, so no answer to enlighten poor stupid little me, eh? Sounds to me like you're too elitist to help, or you don't actually have any answers. Care to answer THAT one?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS? DO YOU NEED HELP?
Oh clever retort! I'm flailing! AHAHAHA! All I want you to do is answer one simple question, and this is what you do. Troll harder.
I don't think you're an elitist (since you have no actual status) so much as a pompous ass, and I reach that conclusion based on you huffing away in the mental handicap thread like you deserve to choose who gets to have kids. Was that simple enough for you? I wouldn't want you to get addled.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I think alot of people comment on 4chan with an outsider's prespective. For every DDoS attack or Zynga raid (hoo boy was that an interesting chapter in Escapist history...if you're new look it up) they've organised you've gotta remember that at the end of the day 4chan is the necessary asshole of the internet, they literally do everything for the lulz, there are some pretty immaturely hilarious threads and they've started every worthwhile meme (i.e two camels and a tiny car is to people seeking memes on the internet as the Jonas Brothers are to people seeking actual rock in music).

Besides, no matter you're feelings stuff like this day will bring a smile to your face: