Poll: Should George Bush be tried for crimes against humanity/war crimes?

soul_rune1984

Mar 7, 2008
I don't think he actually knew all that was happening, those responsible probably told him nothing. He's not innocent but he's not guilty either.

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
Arcticflame said:
None of those poll options.
He isn't innocent, but he isn't guilty to the degree where it is viable to prosecute.
This.

This thread is too skewed and biased for this to be a good poll. Try not to be so subjective next time please.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
MaraudingChimpanzee said:
"A good friend of ours once said that if the same laws were applied to U.S. presidents as were applied to the Nazis after World War II [...] every single one of them, every last rich white one of them from Truman on, would have been hung to death and shot ? and this current administration is no exception. They should be hung, and tried, and shot. As any war criminal should be." -

Tom Morello
I'm so not surprised Morello said that. I didn't know he said that until now but HE would say that.

MsDevin92

Nov 9, 2008
The_Oracle said:
MsDevin92 said:
Or we could just throw another shoe at him and call it a day.
Maybe if you want to get jailed for three years; that was the sentence for the guy that did that even though it was COMPLETELY justified.
Didn't say I'd do it. >>;

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
"A good friend of ours once said that if the same laws were applied to U.S. presidents as were applied to the Nazis after World War II [...] every single one of them, every last rich white one of them from Truman on, would have been hung to death and shot ? and this current administration is no exception. They should be hung, and tried, and shot. As any war criminal should be." -

Tom Morello
I'm so not surprised Morello said that. I didn't know he said that until now but HE would say that.
I'm not sure if you're saying the quote is good or bad.
I don't really have an opinion on the quote more of the speaker. Strange how such a political activist as him goes unnoticed most of the time. Ignore my senile rants I'm not sure what I'm talking about either.

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
Whoever made the poll was biased and obviously believes Bush needs to be put on trial for such.

As numerous people have mentioned before, there is no clear white and black answer to this, fanboying hate against him or fanboying the man himself does no one any good and makes you look rather ignorant. (Which you probably are anyways.) In any case, it should be noted that despite whatever claims may be put onto his shoulders, the president of the United States of America is merely one of three government branches and has VERY limited power. (See U.S. military strategy and how much Bush was involved in it for examples.) That being said, it's hard to believe that he can be held responsible for every thing that he may have done wrong in office.

On a unrelated note, all politicians are...politicians. Any one who would claim there are good politicians in the world (probably from their country of origin) needs to lay off the moonsugar and study the common behaviours of politicians.

MarxonSR1

Apr 28, 2009
It was an act of violence against another country of arguable threat with arguable success.

But his action aren't strictly illegal as there is arguable culpability for torture and declaration of war. Furthermore George Bush is less than capable as a president and it mystifies me as to how he got to power. But furthermore he was voted into power proceeding the nuclear weapons scandal that arose after Bush's questionable motivations for the invasion of Iraq. So personally I can't see how you can expect anyone to convict him when he was given his second term in office after the obviously questionable morality of the original invasion. Admittedly not every American voted for him and not all the information was available but he still shouldn't have been re-elected.
I am totally against all of the things the Bush has done and the repercussions that his actions have had, but the question is where do you stop once you have placed Bush on trial. Once that has been done it would be almost obligatory to place the rest of the Bush administration under the same scrutiny, as doubtless they contributed to the decisions that were made. But then do you prosecute leaders of the army and possibly subordinates for not exercising free will, orders or no orders murder is murder.
But I believe this is where the US system comes into its own you prevent the people who shouldn't remain in power from going more than 2 terms in office. I would like there to be further precautions put in place to prevent a recurrence but that is unlikely as nothing was done after the Vietnam war(even though public opinion did prevail) so I don't expect anything to be done now.

Seifen

Apr 16, 2009
I don't know, we put Saddam Hussein to death...wouldn't it be kind of a step backward as a country to then put our leader at the time on trial? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, I'm not the judge of such things...

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
lol send him to jail 4 being bad prezident amirite guys?

No, but seriously, this:

Arcticflame said:
He isn't innocent, but he isn't guilty to the degree where it is viable to prosecute.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Lord Kofun said:
Xaryn Mar said:
Well if the senate declares war then they should be tried as well.
The entire Senate? Or just the people who agreed with it? I am fairly sure going to war is a 3/4 vote of the Senate.
The entire senate on trial yes, then the trials will decide who was guilty and who was not.

DiamondJim

Sep 27, 2008
I say we go with the more plausible option and just tattoo "DOUCHE BAG" on his forehead. Agreed?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
SODAssault said:
lol send him to jail 4 being bad prezident amirite guys?

No, but seriously, this:

Arcticflame said:
There is no degree at which he would become viable to prosecute. The rule of law is dead and everyone knows it.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
All those yammering about how there should be no laws of war had better not EVER complain about mistreatment of American combatants, or even of Americans arrested overseas and accused of espionage or terrorism. If you're alright with Gitmo, you have no grounds to complain.

If you want to ***** about that without being total hypocrites, read up [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions] and edumacate yourselves dammit.

I also like how all the chicken-hawks come out crowing when they know they can't be touched. If you're so gung-ho, look in the Yellow Pages under "recruitment"; if you can't do it or can't be bothered, it's not the pages that're yellow...

-- Steve

PS: me, I voted that Pres. George Walker Bush be indicted for war crimes, notably violations of numerous provisions of international treaties on the conduct of war and the commission of aggressive war on false pretexts. I also think that he should've been impeached by the US Senate for violating the US Constitution, and subborning others to do so on his behalf.

Ditto Richard Cheney, and have Donald Rumsfeld up for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
Let me put it this way...

We went to war with Iraq, HOWEVER, we never officially made a declaration of war.

So, that in itself is a war crime. We've been saying this for some time, he and Cheney need to be charged.

Cerebreus

Nov 25, 2008
I am against it for a few reasons.

A big reason is that it would be nothing but a witchhunt. It would be about making Bush look bad, not about the crimes itself. If it must be done, I say wait awhile. Let the bias have time to die down so that it can be a fair investigation.

If it was fair, I wouldn't mind so much, but I am positive some people are out to get Bush, and would be involved in the proceedings. Despite the crimes, he still should have a fair invesigation. I do worry this will damage America in several ways, so this issue should be considered carefully.

The biggest reason is that George Bush did this because he was trying to protect the American people.

Yes, torture is wrong, but why are some people more forgiving of murderers and child molesters who acted in their own self interest? There are several examples where murderers and child molesters get off easy, or get second chances when they are still a danger. At least Bush was trying to protect people.

If you're going to try Bush, be hard on the selfish, unrepetant criminals as well. Maybe not the death penalty, but don't jeopardize lives by releasing thse who are still dangerous.

EDIT: Thinking back on what was said in the first post, why are people considering trying the SUSPECTED terrorists in civil courts? Some may be innocent, I'll admit, but the rest at war with us. Not figuratively; literally. They (the guilty ones) are enemy combatants, and should be tried as such.

I do agree with a later post. The Obama administration tends to forget some facts about the praised role models. I haven't heard decrying of the American concentration camps, and on a somewhat related note, I seriously wondering if the Obama Administration will in the future pursue Eugenics, which could be used to violate human rights like Hitler did.

EDIT 2: By the way, why did Bill Ayers get a pass? He still doesn't regret what he did, and I imagine he would do it again if he could get away with it. I can't remember how he got away with his crimes, but he has.

Why not try to prosecute him again? This Administration has violated the Constitution at least once already with the AIG 90% tax, why not go after Bill Ayers again?