Poll: Should I accept my mother in this scenario?

DeathChairOfHell

Dec 31, 2009
Irridium said:
Oof, thats heavy.

I would say if she does come, make her get a job. Refuse to let her live with you until she proves she got one. Yes she's your mother, but unless she's very old or very sick, you shouldn't have to put up with this. Plus, its your dad's apartment, so what he says goes.

Honestly thats all I can say. Not really sure what to do in this situation. But I hope it helps.

i agree 100 % with this

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Delicious said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Delicious said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Delicious said:
thosta said:
Delicious said:
Take your own advice. You and I don't know enough to be able to adequately decide whether or not she stays or goes.

That most of you have decided to be hardasses about it frightens me. I hope you wouldn't treat your mother in the same way.
My own advice would be don't get advice from an internet forum.
But he has and people have replied with the assumption of what he has told is true, if we run with that assumption in mind their suggestions are fair ones.
First off, that's good. Second, what he has told isn't even that bad, yet we've got these dipshits:

Ultratwinkie said:
leave her to rot. work for your food or you get NONE. she needs to learn this the hard way.
Stickwell said:
No, let her rot in the streets of New York... Seriously, Im not joking.
CRoone said:
...I'm going to make this brief (I had a whole paragraph written, but I didn't like it). She has done little but bring you misery, so you owe her nothing. Discuss the matter with your father and a lawyer, as suggested above, and remember that no true family member would bankrupt themselves and drag your family down just to thumb their nose at the government.
Beyond that, I can't tell you what to do - it's up to you.

It's just a shame that such wastes of space like her walk among us...unbelievable...
somelameshite said:
Make her get a damn job, or better yet, make her pay rent.

She needs a hard lesson that being a freeloader is bad for her health.

If she turns up at your door expecting to be taken in without contributing, feel free to call the cops on her for trespassing.
Acting like she tried to cook him while he was a baby or something.

Calm the fuck down everyone, family members some times don't get along. Welcome to life.
oh so i am a dipshit for believing that people who willingly refuse work should get food? i never acted like she tried to cook him, i acted like she is another bum who leech off the tit of uncle sam like so many others in my area.
You're a dipshit for assuming she's a bum based on three paragraphs from her estranged son, tardo.

Also, capitalize your fucking posts. Christ, how did you get to 2000 of them?
there are many bums who suckle on the tit of uncle sam. assuming she is another bum is like assuming homeless people sleep on the street. its so common you don't even need evidence anymore. insulting people isn't exactly a good way to get your point across is it? people will assume you're just some 10 year old who got onto daddy's computer and is feeling tough. for the capitalization, if you don't like it then you can just get off the internet. no one is keeping you here.
Ahahah oh God.

You are a treat. But seriously,

Shut the fuck up.
Delicious said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Delicious said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Delicious said:
thosta said:
Delicious said:
Take your own advice. You and I don't know enough to be able to adequately decide whether or not she stays or goes.

That most of you have decided to be hardasses about it frightens me. I hope you wouldn't treat your mother in the same way.
But he has and people have replied with the assumption of what he has told is true, if we run with that assumption in mind their suggestions are fair ones.
First off, that's good. Second, what he has told isn't even that bad, yet we've got these dipshits:

Ultratwinkie said:
leave her to rot. work for your food or you get NONE. she needs to learn this the hard way.
Stickwell said:
CRoone said:
...I'm going to make this brief (I had a whole paragraph written, but I didn't like it). She has done little but bring you misery, so you owe her nothing. Discuss the matter with your father and a lawyer, as suggested above, and remember that no true family member would bankrupt themselves and drag your family down just to thumb their nose at the government.

It's just a shame that such wastes of space like her walk among us...unbelievable...
somelameshite said:

If she turns up at your door expecting to be taken in without contributing, feel free to call the cops on her for trespassing.

Calm the fuck down everyone, family members some times don't get along. Welcome to life.
oh so i am a dipshit for believing that people who willingly refuse work should get food? i never acted like she tried to cook him, i acted like she is another bum who leech off the tit of uncle sam like so many others in my area.
You're a dipshit for assuming she's a bum based on three paragraphs from her estranged son, tardo.

Also, capitalize your fucking posts. Christ, how did you get to 2000 of them?
there are many bums who suckle on the tit of uncle sam. assuming she is another bum is like assuming homeless people sleep on the street. its so common you don't even need evidence anymore. insulting people isn't exactly a good way to get your point across is it? people will assume you're just some 10 year old who got onto daddy's computer and is feeling tough. for the capitalization, if you don't like it then you can just get off the internet. no one is keeping you here.
Ahahah oh God.

You are a treat. But seriously,

Shut the fuck up.
how about you first? you seem to just use anger and insults to back up your claims with no backing up. at least now we know your a fox news anchor wannabe.
With no backing up? Wow wow wow there junior, I thought you just said that insults and anger were my back up. Can't be both now.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
She kicked you out, why the fuck should you let her into yours? So she can fuck everything up again? (it seems that you actually have a good thing going for once) I think your mom needs to make an appointment with reality.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Kryzantine said:
Because of my own standard of thought, I would suggest that you are not obligated to help someone simply because they are blood related.

Just because she gave birth to you doesn't mean you have to love her, like her, nor do you owe her anything.

Don't think of her as your mother.

Remove that, and think of all merits and demerits she has independent of giving birth to you.
Removing the mother removes the bias, and will help you make a much clearer decision.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Normally family is a rather large thing to me, but I am a firm believer in if someone continues to act in a negative light and refuses to change and just leeches off other people or purposefully tries to hurt people over and over, then you must let them go. Cut them off. It's a harsh thing to say, but sometimes required.

However, I would suggest if you really wanted to give her one last chance, then lay it out plainly "Get a job, and we'll take care of you. If not, we're finished."

That's what I'd do, and good luck, OP.

masterjiji

Jul 13, 2009
Let me go ahead and state: she has kicked you out of a dwelling you deservde, but you can take care of yourself anyways.

...So why the FUCK should she expect you to accept her into a household she has no right to when she can barely wipe her own ass? Fuck that. Just because she's your mother doesn't mean you have to put up with a neverending stream of bullshit. It may sound harsh, but no one should ever take that from ANYONE. If it's just a friend or acquaintance, then that person is an asshole and doesn't deserve your time. If it's a family member or girlfriend or whatever, then that person needs to clean himself or herself the fuck up before they expect to make any kind of demands of you.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Um... As ashamed of it as I am, I effectively threw my brother out of the house two days after Christmas. I felt like an absolute dick for doing it, but at the time I knew something drastic had to be done to prevent something worse from happening. It all worked out in the end (he's a lawyer and working his way up through the civil service now), and my family gets along relatively well now.

But that was a decision I shouldn't have had to make. It wasn't my house, it was my Mum's. And since you're only in High School, you really shouldn't have to make the decision. Your Dad will have to make it. If she stays and you can't stand her, don't worry, you'll be off to college soon anyway. Study hard and go to a college far away. With headphones on and a text book in front of you it'll be like she's not even there.

Oh, and tell your sister to get a job for a year. Colleges love that real world experience crap :)

CRoone

Jul 1, 2010
Delicious said:
thosta said:
Delicious said:

Ultratwinkie said:
Stickwell said:
CRoone said:

somelameshite said:

Yeah, you're right. It's just easy to get mad and overly judgmental when the closest one gets to the issue is from behind a computer screen...Ultimately, it's his decision as to what he does. As for the rest of us, it's probably for the best if we don't carry on the issue for much longer. You've got a good point, there. (No, really - I'm not trying to be a sarcastic troll here)

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Delicious said:
With no backing up? Wow wow wow there junior, I thought you just said that insults and anger were my back up. Can't be both now.
Stop trying to troll badly by falling back on poorly constructed logical fallacies. The implication is that relying on name calling and emotions are not any backing. At all.

And no. A general unwillingness to work should entitle you to only the lowest quality of life. Ask the homeless what they think about it.

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
acosn said:
Delicious said:
Stop trying to troll badly by falling back on poorly constructed logical fallacies. The implication is that relying on name calling and emotions are not any backing. At all.

And no. A general unwillingness to work should entitle you to only the lowest quality of life. Ask the homeless what they think about it.
Read the thread. I made my case; you didn't read it.

So shut it.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
She's an adult. Why is it this horrible thing to expect a grown woman to try to take care of herself ON HER OWN? It's not like your dad never tried to help her-you said he was paying for her place to stay. So she was living someplace for free.

There is NO reason to take her in unless you guys want to for whatever reason. It's your call. You don't owe her free room and board, and certainly not living under the same roof if, as you said, she's intolerable. Why make yourself more miserable on purpose? Talk to your dad and make a plan for what to do/say when she shows up. Maybe if she's willing to get a job, you guys might be willing to help her pay for a different place to stay? That is, HELP, not pay for all of it.

I dunno. The best I can do is give you some suggestions. You know her and your dad and you better than I do. Figure out what you want to do. I hope I've helped to give you some ideas or maybe confirm ones you already had. Sometimes when family members are impossible to deal with, it's best to keep them as far as possible so as to keep them from poisoning everything else that's good.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
beniki said:
Um... As ashamed of it as I am, I effectively threw my brother out of the house two days after Christmas. I felt like an absolute dick for doing it, but at the time I knew something drastic had to be done to prevent something worse from happening. It all worked out in the end (he's a lawyer and working his way up through the civil service now), and my family gets along relatively well now.

But that was a decision I shouldn't have had to make. It wasn't my house, it was my Mum's. And since you're only in High School, you really shouldn't have to make the decision. Your Dad will have to make it. If she stays and you can't stand her, don't worry, you'll be off to college soon anyway. Study hard and go to a college far away. With headphones on and a text book in front of you it'll be like she's not even there.

Oh, and tell your sister to get a job for a year. Colleges love that real world experience crap :)
Know what you mean, I threw my dad out of the house. Sort of. Like you said, it was a decision I shouldn't have had to make. I still can't freaking believe things got to the point where I had to do that, that nobody else had the guts. Sometimes what people will just put up with for years and years is amazing.

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
Well, going only by what the OP has told us, and not assuming more, she seems like she's unstable right now[footnote]As if it wasn't obvious enough considering the point of this post.[/footnote].
Letting her back into your life would probably only cause more issues, so it would seem to be a fairly large "Negatory." on that point.
But on the other hand, maybe she'll lighten up a little bit. As one or more people have said, remove the fact that she's your mum, just have the negative and positive qualities of her, as a person, and any and all merits they may bear.
If that alone is enough to make you consider letting her stay[footnote]Which I doubt it will be.[/footnote], then that's peachy. If not[footnote]Which is the most likely case.[/footnote], then kick her out. She doesn't deserve to live there by your description, and by the picture she put in my head, I wouldn't let her stay there, either. Just stop her at the door. If she tries to force her way in, then let her. Just be sure to sneak off, call 911, and hand her over to the cops afterwards. If your past experiences with her aren't enough to condemn her, than work out a plan for her: Make her get a job, and then make her pay for things. Maybe rent, or at least help pay bills, and for groceries etc.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Delicious said:
acosn said:
Delicious said:

So shut it.
I don't need to make a case when I present none. I called you a troll. Thus far you've done little to prove otherwise.

I consider family important. I consider it more important to regard them as humans first though, and some brands of humans just don't learn unless its all-but-forced on them.

Based on what I've been provided this is exactly the case.

Now off with you, back to your troll den.

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
acosn said:
Delicious said:
acosn said:
Delicious said:

So shut it.
I don't need to make a case when I present none. I called you a troll. Thus far you've done little to prove otherwise.

I consider family important. I consider it more important to regard them as humans first though, and some brands of humans just don't learn unless its all-but-forced on them.

Based on what I've been provided this is exactly the case.

Now off with you, back to your troll den.
I never said you needed to make a case; I said you needed to read mine.

Fuck dude - English class was never your thing, was it?

Mar 9, 2010
You most certainly do. If your Dad doesn't want to live with you Mum then he has the right to say she can't. If he's given the choice to you, then you have the right. If she drags everyone down and is as bad as you say she is (I don't doubt you) then I would never accept her back. You have to look out for yourself before anyone else.

The way I see it, you have three options:
Option 1 (No guilt, possible mother): You make up a reason she can't stay and persuade her to get her own place or stay in LA.
Option 2 (Possible guilt, no unwanted guests): Say no upfront.
Option 3 (No mother, strong hatred, possible laughs) Wait till she turns up and shut the door in her face.