Poll: Should I get Rift or WOW?

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Rift is a bastard child of WoW. My friends started playing the open beta, and all I could think was "Huh... It's a maginally tweaked WoW with a lot of dull washed out colors and a higher processor requirement."

As for the community, it's all hype. WoW's community is still helpful so long as you don't expect EVERYONE to help. The best method is to find a social guild and make sure you use proper spelling and grammar so you don't sound like a complete tool.

For help starting WoW... race doesn't really matter unless you are min/maxing. Pick the race you like most and then mess around with the classes. I was and always will be a Paladin fan, but I have 1 friend who loves hunters, and my old Guild Master had an 80 of almost every class and played most them on a daily basis.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
Well, I know you asked Loop Stricken and not being him is one of my many personal failings, buuuut...
So many people have that exact problem.

Yeah, races. Do you want to be the absolute best player you can be, or do you want to have as much fun as possible?

For the former, yes some races have racial bonuses that work best with certain classes; for example orcs have a bonus to pet damage, so the best choices for orcs are thus hunters, warlocks and death knights (protip: you can't make a death knight until you have another character of, I think lv55).
Tauren have more base health [Edit: This may no longer be the case now that I think about it, I think orcs now have the minor health bonus too, along with possibly dwarfs] and an area-of-effect stun, so they're meant to make better tanks. Or flower-pickers; they pick those bastards in half the time or something ridiculous.
I'll be honest, I don't play Alliance so I'm not sure about their bonuses, but I do know Worgen get extra critical strike rating so they're obviously better suited for damage dealers (and for the Horde but I digress WHY DID WE HAVE TO HAVE GOBLINS no I'm not bitter...)
[Edit#2: Crit is becoming more important for healers now actually, so... yeah]

If you're not interested in eking out another few hundred points of damage, then just have a dick around with the different races and classes, see what you like the look of.
I'm primarily a Warrior. Tauren one at that despite them not having any specific advantages. AND I CLAIM TO BE GOOD?!
But anyway, I tried switching to an orc warrior and I hated it. After six years or whatever it is, I was so used to my tauren animations that I just couldn't tesselate what was going on screen with my abilities' cooldowns anymore. Longest three days of my WoW life, I tell thee.

SweetNess_666

Sep 2, 2009
I'd say like most other people on here get wow like someone has said you get a free 10 day trial but I think you'll be hooked after 10mins, on that note * fires up wow* :) see you on the other side :)

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I'd go with WOW. The fiancé and I are planning to play WOW together. I was interested in Rift when it first came out, but a few friends who bought it went back to WOW, so yeah. xD WOW it is.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
Seventh Actuality said:
Well, I know you asked Loop Stricken and not being him is one of my many personal failings, buuuut...

Yeah, races. Do you want to be the absolute best player you can be, or do you want to have as much fun as possible?

For the former, yes some races have racial bonuses that work best with certain classes; for example orcs have a bonus to pet damage, so the best choices for orcs are thus hunters, warlocks and death knights (protip: you can't make a death knight until you have another character of, I think lv55).
Tauren have more base health [Edit: This may no longer be the case now that I think about it, I think orcs now have the minor health bonus too, along with possibly dwarfs] and an area-of-effect stun, so they're meant to make better tanks. Or flower-pickers; they pick those bastards in half the time or something ridiculous.
I'll be honest, I don't play Alliance so I'm not sure about their bonuses, but I do know Worgen get extra critical strike rating so they're obviously better suited for damage dealers (and for the Horde but I digress WHY DID WE HAVE TO HAVE GOBLINS no I'm not bitter...)

If you're not interested in eking out another few hundred points of damage, then just have a dick around with the different races and classes, see what you like the look of.
I'm primarily a Warrior. Tauren one at that despite them not having any specific advantages. AND I CLAIM TO BE GOOD?!
But anyway, I tried switching to an orc warrior and I hated it. After six years or whatever it is, I was so used to my tauren animations that I just couldn't tesselate what was going on screen with my abilities' cooldowns anymore. Longest three days of my WoW life, I tell thee.
Cheers for the advice. I don't think I'm gonna be playing all that seriously I just want to have some fun. I think I will go Worgen they sound pretty cool or dark elves. I like the idea of a dark elf mage or a worgen warlock, I love magic in RPGs it makes me feel powerful mwahahaha

Agarth

Jul 14, 2009
My advice is don't get neither. But I'm the type of person that hates everything MMO, so you can just ignore this comment.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Eww, Alliance.

Funny story about the Alliance: They decided to be all up and xenophobic against the Blood Elves for suffering from magic addiction.
Then they willingly accept werewolves who transmit werewolfism through biting.

...yeah.
FOR THE HORDE!

===
Agarth said:
My advice is don't get neither. But I'm the type of person that hates everything MMO, so you can just ignore this comment.
Yeah, thanks for that. Although what you actually said is to get both.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
I've been playing WoW since just before the Burning Crusade, and I tried Rift right after it came out, but in my honest opinion I would say Rift, if you've never played WoW there won't be the problem of it being too much like WoW (which is why I didn't stick with it)

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
drummodino said:
Loop Stricken said:
Seventh Actuality said:

Cheers for the advice. I don't think I'm gonna be playing all that seriously I just want to have some fun. I think I will go Worgen they sound pretty cool or dark elves. I like the idea of a dark elf mage or a worgen warlock, I love magic in RPGs it makes me feel powerful mwahahaha
The closest thing to Dark Elves are the Blood Elves, formerly Sun Elves, and it shows. They also get the most crap in game because they went from magical badassery to effeminate ponces. Worgen are kinda fun, but being a Horde player the only Alliance race I like are the Dwarves. I prefer the Undead, Trolls, and Blood Elves, but to each their own.

All that said, the Goblins have what is by FAR the best opening quests and it is very much worth doing them. Blood Elves have one of the better 1-20 questing areas, though after that you basically follow the Undead story line and become Sylvanas' play thing.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
Eww, Alliance.

Funny story about the Alliance: They decided to be all up and xenophobic against the Blood Elves for suffering from magic addiction.
Then they willingly accept werewolves who transmit werewolfism through biting.

...yeah.
FOR THE HORDE!

===
Agarth said:
Yeah, thanks for that. Although what you actually said is to get both.
Yeah, they didn't take the Forsaken who they saw as monters, but took the worgen, wtf? Anyway, yeah For the Horde

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Sean951 said:
The closest thing to Dark Elves are the Blood Elves, formerly Sun Elves, and it shows. They also get the most crap in game because they went from magical badassery to effeminate ponces. Worgen are kinda fun, but being a Horde player the only Alliance race I like are the Dwarves. I prefer the Undead, Trolls, and Blood Elves, but to each their own.

All that said, the Goblins have what is by FAR the best opening quests and it is very much worth doing them. Blood Elves have one of the better 1-20 questing areas, though after that you basically follow the Undead story line and become Sylvanas' play thing.
Woops when I said dark elves I meant Night elves.

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
After the novelty of the class creation flexibility in Rift wears off, it becomes a little uninteresting (especially that there aren't anywhere near as many FUNCTIONAL options as there are options in total). Rift is definately more of a challenge in the PvE department and the PvP (that i played of it) was fun.

However, every second that I played Rift, there was a niggling voice in the back of my head telling me that WoW had done it before and better, and that i would rather be playing it as a result. WoW isn't quite as good as it was before since Cataclysm, but I would still take it over Rift any day.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
drummodino said:
Sean951 said:

Woops when I said dark elves I meant Night elves.
Lol, they seem to be the most common starting race. I haven't done it since their story got updated, so I can't say much about their quests anymore.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
There are plenty of arguments for both games. WoW has 10 years worth of content built up, but is showing its age. Rift is a newer MMO that borrows heavily from Warcraft, but has an intriguing gimmick, and is adding new content about once a month. Personally, and between the two, I'd suggest playing Rift unless you already have lots of friends in WoW. Any MMO is only as fun as the people you play it with.

A few other MMO's to consider:
Guild Wars, a buy-to-play "CORPG" (cooperative online roleplaying game. people get pissy when you call it an MMO, even though it really is). You can get all four campaigns/expansions and all the new content for about $50 USD and never pay a subscription fee. It has one of the largest, best populated worlds across all MMO's, and fantastic PvP systems (including a $100,000 annual tournaments). Guild Wars pve is heavily instanced, meaning you'll never run into random player killers or kill stealers. There are microtransactions, but they are cosmetic only.

Vindictus, an action-oriented MMO. Also borrows heavily from Warcraft, but the combat system is much more exciting and engaging. You can at least try it for free, but I have to admit, I haven't yet. I have heard good things about it.

Upcoming MMO games to consider:
Guild Wars 2. Unlike its predecessor, GW2 is a true MMO, and also boasts no subscription fees. I could talk about GW2 for days, but seriously, you should check this out for yourself. Gorgeous artisanal art style, action-based combat with heavy focus on tactics and positioning, true underwater content, world PvP where entire servers battle each other, heavy emphasis on story and ambiance... This game is freaking amazing.

Star Wars: The Old Republic. It has been called "warcraft with a star wars skin", but it goes much deeper than that. SWTOR focuses heavily on story, with interactive cutscenes telling your character's story. Multiple players can participate in them, and the cinematics look incredible. This game is definitely one to watch, and well worth waiting for if you're not already burned out on Warcraft or really like space action. Personally, I'll me a lot more interested when they start talking about the promised space combat.