Poll: Should I get Rome 2 Total War?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Except most of his reviews are rather calm. So your argument is he's shit at his job 98% of the time to justify the 2% where he lives up to his name? Interesting.

If you can get past the screaming for comedic effect,
I note he's only that funny when it's a game he treasures dearly. One wonders if it's really for comedic effect.
My exposure to Joe has been through 1-2 videos, the Blood Bowl tournament, and a few joint projects with TB. He's screamed and displayed MASSIVE over-excitement every single time. It doesn't really bother me, and I find him fitfully entertaining (I admire his passion at the very least). My friend finds him impossibly annoying.

Long story short, I don't really have an "argument" despite the fact his histrionics did not mar the quality or insight of his Rome 2 review.

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
If you liked Shogun IIs way of playing, style and world map way, sure go for it. I didn't, I hated how Shogun II was, preferring Medieval II over it. Rome II kept how Shogun II was so I don't like Rome II.

II

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Save yourself the trouble and just play Rome: Europa Barbarorum. See if they patch it into a playable game later and consider it then. As of now, it would be unplayable even if it were stable.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I must admit, after all these "little" patches, the game runs a hell of a lot better for me. Lots of the little niggly shits that annoyed me at the start have slowly been subdued and performance has picked up for me.

STILL got those damn victory points though......Creative Assembly, yes I'm still baking those cupcakes, though admittedly its a considerably smaller batch.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Wow, I don't think anyone has suggested getting it now. And I agree with all of them, wait for them to patch it up or at least put it on sale. They seem to have fixed the turn times as of last week, but the AI is still completely retarded and graphics settings don't work on my machine.

Jul 31, 2013
Yes, you should get it. In a few months. I think that they're going the Paradox Interactive route with RIITW, which means "our game will be a buggy hell in the first few months, but patient followers will be rewarded with cream, cookies and an incredibly awesome strategy game (Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis)".

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I'd recommend leaving it a while, personally. At the moment, it simply doesn't work properly, and you're better off playing one of the earlier installments. It's pretty buggy, and even when it's technically functioning it still doesn't feel quite right. I've had the game since release, but I've barely touched it, so you might as well save yourself a small amount of money and disappointment and pick it up when it goes down in price a little.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
ellieallegro said:
If you want to beta-test it for free then sure, pick it up.
Actually you would be paying for it so you wouldn't be beta testing it for free. Now would you like to pay to mow my lawn? I promise you hours of realistic graphics.

OT: If you're in doubt I would advice you to wait. Get it at a Steam sale, it will probably be quite decently priced around the Christmas sales and the worst bugs will be weeded out.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
I guess it all depends on what you liked in previous Total War titles. I've had a tough time getting into any of the post-Medieval 2 Total War games because of the numerous engine and design changes. Like the UI for example, or the increasingly mediocre unit diversity, and the lack of amazing mod projects that I adored in the original Rome: Total War and Medieval 2.

The game in of itself isn't necessarily bad, but the strategic gameplay is VERY different, even from Shogun 2. And the UI is kind of clunky at the moment, so I guess depending on how open you are to major changes, it may or may not work for you.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Instead of going for RTW II I'd just get the Europa Barbaroum mod for the First Rome Total War game. From what I hear RTW II is incredibly buggy, badly-optimized, and even more arcade-y than Shogun II. Personally I think RTW and Medieval II were the pinnacle of the series.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I regret buying this game, it's full of bugs and the AI has so many complex features that it ends up not doing anything a lot of times. The game hasn't given me any game crashing problems yet and hell the whole game, the mechanics, the visuals everything works great but when it's time to do real time battles... the game sucks, not just the AI, everything in what should be the most fun SUCKS! They have this new flag capture system that's horrible and that alone makes the game boring, keep playing Shogun II or buy Shogun II and play that, unless they remove that flag capturing system, which by the way the AI makes no effort to defend theirs, there's no point in wasting time with this game

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
wombat_of_war said:
ive played the total war games since the days of shogun and ive racked hundreds of hours in each title but there is something about rome 2 that makes me loose interest around 40-50 hours. strangely that seems to be for a few peoples ive asked as well.
For me it's that the actual battles seem less involving... and the campaign map play isn't strong enough to carry the game. Without the battles keeping me entertained I'd much rather play CK2 or EU4.