Poll: Should I get Skyrim for PC or for Xbox?

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
I have an xbox and im getting Skyrim for xbox. And im telling you get it for PC. It's just better. Why I'm not getting it for PC you may be wondering? My PC wouldn't do it justice and I'm more of a console gamer anyway.

b4k4

May 2, 2009
If you think you'd be interested in picking up the inevitable mods, I would say go for it on PC, if you don't give a damn about mods, just flip a coin.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
I had oblivion for the PC. had to run it on all lowest graphics. I still had a great time (i REALLY get into the elderscrolls games) But it bothered me. Yes i enjoyed the mods but even after 2 years of looking through them i never found any that were truley great. The ones i enjoyed most were a house mod here, a new weapon there, nothing very good. I plan to get skyrim on the 360 just because it'll look much better.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
There's almost no advantage to buying it on the Xbox if you've got a PC that can run it without slowdown. Mods were one of the cornerstones of Oblivion, and I imagine it'll be the same this time around.

That being said, my computer can't run Oblivion, much less Skyrim, so I'll be getting it for the Xbox. Just get it for the PC if it can run it well, and the Xbox if it can't. It's that simple.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Basically, it boils down to two things; your PC's ability to run Skyrim, and your attitude towards mods.

If your PC can't run Skyrim (and you have no plans to invest in a more 'advanced' unit), buy it for Xbox.

If your PC can run Skyrim, make your decision based on whether or not you care about modding the game.

Personally, I'm not too fussed by mods - although even if I was, I know for a fact my laptop won't be able to handle Skyrim, so it's just as well I have a PS3. xP

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
I recently got Oblivion and Fallout 3 for PC and i must say i like it on console better.

I felt more efficient and gameplay was more seamless but it just feels like a job. It felt like i was doing everything because someone had told me to play it.

As for mods, really i'm never too impressed. A lot of them are interesting and add something new but often times they add maybe one more story playthrough or even just a days worth of interest. This was true for Fallout 3 and now i can say its true for Oblivion as well.

and around every corner when i encountered a minor hindrance i was tempted to just plug in a console command to bypass it. Knowing I had the tools to make it simple but trying to resist for the "sake of the gameplay" is just maddening, Especially when coupled with the feeling that it was work that just needed to be done quickly.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
surg3n said:
GonzoGamer said:
surg3n said:
I'm getting it for XBox, as I have a spare console etc - I don't want to take up the TV, or my PC, so it'll be running on a spare 32'' screen.
I played F:NV on my PC, and would find myself stopping to check email, stopping because my PC crashed, stopping because my PC started making a weird noise, stopping because my screen went all brown... Really I don't want to tarnish the gameplay experience with the PC's issues. I like the idea of playing it and still being able to work on the PC, otherwise I can't see me being very productive come November :D.
Trust me, if you got NV for the console, you would've been dealing with constant crashing and other weird bugs. That game was just a mess.

It's is actually the reason I would recommend the PC. Besides all the entertaining mods. Users are quicker than Bethesda at patching the PC version and I think that with their new engine, there's going to be a lot of patching done to that game... otherwise, I'd be buying it day one.
Hmmmm... you make a good point - I did much prefer Oblivion once I got the mods installed, and felt the 360 version was left a bit flat in comparison. Maybe I should give my PC a good clean out and see if it can cope. Cheers.
Glad I could help.
In terms of stability, it probably doesn't make a difference if you plan on getting the game several months after launch (it took Bethesda half a year to patch NV; provided it works now) but if you plan on buying it at launch, I'm sure the modders will get it playable sooner.
Then there's also replayability. I loved Fallout 3 on the ps3 but replaying it on the PC with mods is almost like playing a different (but just as good) game.

GreenSscythe

Mar 8, 2011
PC if you can play it. You will never run out of game with the extensive mods that will be created for it, if Oblivion and Fallout are to be used as examples.

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
If you can run it on your PC, then, by all means get it for PC. If not Xbox is the obvious answer. Mod support in Bethesda RPGs is awesome.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
newwiseman said:
It's been developed specifically for the xbox so you won't lose anything from the stock game, but you will miss out on all the content made by the modding community.

Modding a Bethesda game is easy, and can add years of game play.

seagoon said:
Xzi said:
seagoon said:
pc 2 xbox mods... your argument is invalid...
I wasn't aware you could transfer Oblivion mods to the 360? Not to mention I don't really see the point in doing all that extra work if you need a PC to get the mods in the first place.
yeah, i got a crappy computer... thats just me... meeep...

During development Bethesda did mention looking for an avenue to port the mods to Consoles, but neither Sony or Microsoft came up with a way for them to do it. And, making mods can be done on a machine that can't even play Morrowind, I should know. You do have to copy the main game file onto the machine doing the modding but after that it's no more intensive than excel, unless your going to be making your own meshes and textures in Blender or Maya (then you'll need something beefy). When I'm modding I usually have a couple computers on, one to test the mod and one with the mod open so I can make changes and and fixes while I play it (just restart game for changes to take effect).
its not that i can´t make mods on my pc, its that ui can´t play any games without major lag... I don't even have the tech know-how to mod without nooby modding programs!

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
One word:mods.

Sure, you get the same game for 60 bucks, but on PC you have so much goddamn content that people make with the Dev Tools. You actually get more bang for you buck that way.