Poll: Should I Get Skyrim Right When it Comes Out or Wait for the GotY Edition?

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
To everyone talking about buggyness. Skyrim is on a new, presumably more stable engine. So take that into your calculations.

Zedar0

Should probably make use of this
Aug 12, 2009
Cleril said:
Rumbler_Man said:
I,m getting it on launch day. but it really depends on what you want. Do you want it on launch day and deal with the bugs and for more money. or wait until the price drops and they release the GOTY? i mean that could take months can you take the wait?
Months? Hasn't Fallout NV been out for over a year and still no GOTY?

I'm getting it on launch day, pre-ordered for my sexy map!
Just short of a year, and the fourth and final DLC isn't out, so it's not quite time yet.

OT: I have it pre-ordered. Yeah, it'll be buggy, but on the other hand, I only ran into one gamebreaker in NV, and that was fixed pretty quickly, so I'm not terribly worried. If you don't mind the extra expense, you're probably safe in getting it at launch.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I'm getting it launch day, the question is do I want to put down $150 and get that super sexy artbook with it.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Lets put it this way: There will be enough content in it to keep you going till the goty edition and then just get that.

Techno Squidgy said:
genericusername64 said:
archvile93 said:
I'd say wait, since it will almost certainly be horribly horribly broken when first released, like all Bethesda games.
What this guy said, plus todd Howard said that they keep some glitches in if they find them funny.
THAT GLITCH IS NOT FUNNY. I can't enjoy Fallout 3 because of this bloody glitch. It's so immersion breaking. Particularly when it's in tandem with the glitch that prevents NPCs animating properly and they just float towards you locked in one pose or bolt upright.
Thats new vegas not 3 and obisdion not bethesda btw.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
jeremysaint said:
Fusioncode9 said:
After the atrocity that was Fallout New Vegas, I'm never buying a Bethesda game at launch again. I'll wait a month or two and the purchase it, since by then all the game breaking bugs should be gone.
i am pretty sure new vegas was developed by obsidian, but published by bethesda. sort of the way bioware made mass effect 2, but ea published it. the buggy nature of new vegas seems to have been obsidian's fault.

as for skyrim, i am so torn about that game.

i dont like oblivion. it has a broken, utterly aweful levelling system. painfully boring slow and graphically unimpressive combat (i am 33 years old and have already played hexen once, i dont want to do it again!), and down right repuslive graphics a lot of the time. i have been playing through it for the first time recently, and have put a couple dozen hours into it off and on so far. there is a lot of recommend it, but that completely broken, shockingly aweful levelling system just sucks all the life out of it. i can not emphasize enough how mind bogglingly aweful that system is.

i like open world adventure games. i direct my gaze to my games' shelves and see things like fallout 3, new vegas, red dead redemption, borderlands, deus ex (kind of open world), farcry 2, dead rising (not actually a good game, too many broken design issues), dead rising 2 (cant seem to get into it though), GTA4, etc, etc, etc... is skyrim going to top the ones in that list that are good? would i be better served just replaying one of the other ones i like?

ps. seriously, how can anyone say oblivion was good when it had that levelling system!
Yes but Bethesda did the bug testing. I remember they said in an interview they had 300 people testing the game but I call bullshit. There is no way that out of those 300 people, not one person encountered all the game breaking glitches the community did. Bethesda and Obsidian were being lazy and rushed the game out the door. Now Bethesda says they don fix "entertaining bugs", just another excuse not to properly test the game.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Psychotic-ishSOB said:
Techno Squidgy said:
Wait for the GOTY edition for the love of god. Bethesda are notorious for launch bugs. I got the GoTY edition of Fallout 3 and it still has some pretty terrible bugs in it. Like the exorcist glitch...
what's that?
Also known as the rubber neck glitch. WHere NPCs heads droop and dangle around. sometimes turning completely upside down while still staring straight at you.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Acidwell said:
Lets put it this way: There will be enough content in it to keep you going till the goty edition and then just get that.

Techno Squidgy said:
genericusername64 said:
archvile93 said:
I'd say wait, since it will almost certainly be horribly horribly broken when first released, like all Bethesda games.
What this guy said, plus todd Howard said that they keep some glitches in if they find them funny.
THAT GLITCH IS NOT FUNNY. I can't enjoy Fallout 3 because of this bloody glitch. It's so immersion breaking. Particularly when it's in tandem with the glitch that prevents NPCs animating properly and they just float towards you locked in one pose or bolt upright.
Thats new vegas not 3 and obisdion not bethesda btw.
Well, it's in Fallout 3 as well, and it's still not funny and still game ruining.

Wherethefuckiswally

Aug 3, 2011
This has made me rethink everything. I'm now gunna get a few 2nd hand games to get me to xmas and then have loads of the autumn/winter releaes in one go to occupy me til the GotY edition comes out. I can wait if something will distract me. maybe i'll find a shiney penny and i'll be occupied til spring @-)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
archvile93 said:
Plus this is an all new engine for them, so they probably wont even work out all the bugs (if ever) until they get to the GOTY edition.
It took them 6 months to patch New Vegas and they were working with that engine for years.

The other reason is that there are so many anticipated (potentially AAA) titles coming out around that time. I wont be getting Skyrim at launch because I know my wife will be playing MW3 with her friends for at least a couple of weeks. By the time I can pry her away, Saints Row 3 will probably be out.

I'm definitely getting Skyrim but I plan on waiting for GOTY and will be getting the PC version: those modders can usually get the game working better.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
I'm assuming from this thread that you're probably hyped enough to consider buying launch day, so I really can't offer proper advice given that I can't really get hyped over it (I played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 after they'd already been hyped to hell and back by the internet... again. Fallout 3 was the only one I really got all that into because it wasn't hyped AS MUCH as the other two, thanks in part to a now very small hatedom for the game). However, I can still point out a few things (note: point for getting it regular will be + while GOTY will be marked with -).

+ The price drop isn't going to happen any time soon, which means the GOTY proper won't come out for awhile (you'll probably see a fake GOTY where it's the game and a single add on first)
- No doubt there's going to be a glitchy launch, along with the standard launch problem of no help online save for a few forums
+ If you care at all about the plot, secrets, or spoilers in general, you'll have to avoid the internet for a long time
+ NEW GAME FEELING RIGHT NOW!
- You'll have plenty of cash for a lot of other games in the mean time, and the Christmas shopping time is right around that time
- The end of the year is right around then, so anything like work, school, etc. will get harder to balance with gaming.
+ The end of the year is right around then, so you're going to want something to do/relieve stress
- The map's huge. Good luck getting around properly without the map that will end up scanned online
+ You'll lose that experience of getting lost if you use that online map, which will diminish the immersion
+ You're just going to be obsessing over it if you're interested that much and everyone else is playing it
- There's plenty of other games around this time that are going to be harder to find later on while I guarantee you'll be able to find this after the first few weeks until the next ES releases.
- If this GOTY is the same as Fallout 3's, you'll be saving about a full game in costs if you wait to buy it. A. Full. Game.
+ If modding is as big as it was in the previous ones (assuming you go PC), you'll probably be able to get "free DLC" all the time.
- A lot of the bugs in these mods will take time to iron out.
+ You'll be fighting dragons this year
- You'll probably be fighting giants or flying on griffons to take out evil overlords in flying death towers in the DLC

In the end, we both know however that you're probably not going to decide based on Pros and Cons but on how you feel. Basically, it all comes down to whether you want to wait or not.

Me, I'm waiting, but I'm cynical about the series and have plenty of other games to worry about during that time.