Poll: Should people wait until they're married to have sex?

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Self explanatory. Because of my religion, I cant have sex until Im married. It's tough to find girls who erm... feel the same way, but I have found a couple who share the sentiment, but for ethical reasons, not religious.

So what do you think? On the one hand, there would be much fewer cases of STDs in the world, as well as fewer accidental children (well, there would still be some obviously, but the parents would probably be in better standing to take care of them) But, intimacy is an extremely important factor of a long term relationship, and if something doesnt "work out," and you dont learn about it until you're married, that can ruin the whole thing.

Discuss. And dont hate on me for being religious, Im not trying to convert you or rub it in your face or anything, I just think this topic would make for a good discussion. You're free to believe what you want to believe.

SimpleChimp

Jun 11, 2009
My religion holds no stigma against it, but instead condones it. My pops always said that you need to go to the batting cages a few times before you try and play at the world series.

I mean, most religious rules where meant for silver age tribesmen instead of people from the 2000.

(as my friend said over my shoulder "My pops always said, two in the pink one in the stink.)

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Should people? When you get down to it, it all depends on customs,religion,etc. There is no right are wrong answer. Me, I'm an atheist, but I don't think the whole sex after marriage thing is such a bad idea. I suppose it makes it so you really know who your marrying. But, that's just me.

I don't see anything wrong with sex before marriage, I mean, its only natural. But I think its best that the two have some sort of relationship first.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
No, but that doesn't mean people should just go fucking everyone they see on the street, either.
Have sex when you're ready. If you think it is at __________ time in your life, then good for you.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I don't think people should do anything when it comes to sex. It's all personal choice. If you wanna wait until your married then that's up to you and people should respect that. I personally didn't wait until marriage but I did wait to find someone that I loved. If people wanna sleep around with someone new every weekend that's their choice too and I won't stop them but I probably wouldn't wanna be friends with them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Should" is a value call, implying you/we are in a position to judge what it is best for other people to do.

In our society, we must accept that the vast majority of the time, we have no excuse for taking that position, however much we might like to.

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
MajorTomServo said:
So what do you think? On the one hand, there would be much fewer cases of STDs in the world, as well as fewer accidental children (well, there would still be some obviously, but the parents would probably be in better standing to take care of them) But, intimacy is an extremely important factor of a long term relationship, and if something doesnt "work out," and you dont learn about it until you're married, that can ruin the whole thing.
Condoms?
Other birth control?
Vaccinations?

I believe its someone's choice to have sex or not with whomever they want to (consensually between adults obviously).

whether for ethical or religious reasons you can choose to abstain of not, I didn't, and that's my choice.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
People should wait until they're ready.

If they aren't ready til' they have the commitment implied in marriage, or various other reasons to wait for that event, then you should wait. If you're ready when you've got that itch that needs scratching (metaphorical itch, if there's a real itch, please see a physician), then hop to it. There's nothing wrong with either, or anywhere along the spectrum between them, just as long as all parties involved know what they're getting into beforehand, and where they stand on the issue.

Trouble is with young people (and some older people), is they don't know how to distinguish hormonal 'IWANTITNAOOOO' from 'I am emotionally and physically prepared for this, and I want it now', which leads to a lot of ickiness, one of the reasons to just hold off for a while to be sure its really what you want and not what your jacked up genitals are telling you.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Peoples lives are there business. Not everyone is ready for everything at the same time, so there really isn't any right answer to what you 'should' do. No personal choice is really 'wrong', unless of course it's rape. If it's your religious belief and custom to not have sex before marriage, then really, that is that. Though be careful around the Escapist, marriage is a fairly dirty word to some. They wont hesitate to shit all over it and your personal beliefs.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
-"What do you think about sex before marriage?"

-"Whatever, so long as it doesn't delay the ceremony."

Have sex whenever you feel you're ready, just know the risks and always use contraception. I've had sex before marriage and that suits me.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Nope. Life is to short to put it off. All though you need to do it when you know its a serious relationship.... I lost my virginity at 13, sure yeah its cool to brag about it for a little but we didn't know fully about the sex organs. She had a pregnancy scare over something that was very stupid and neither of us understood that there was nothing to worry about. A whole month of worry for nothing. Then she broke up with me. Yeah I say do it when ever but be smart and actually love the person.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
No, people should not wait for marriage just because some random religion says so. You can DECIDE to do so, on your own, but what the other people should do is not affected by it nor your religion.

It is way harder for a guy to get laid than a girl
Nah, that's nonsense.

Oct 12, 2011
"Should" still be a personal choice. I would feel very weirded out by anyone having that much control over my personal life choices.

That having been said, it is always a good idea to try and make those decisions with a clear head (or at least as clear a head as your hormones will allow)

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
Marriage is really a religious thing. The only thing not religious about it is the legal binding part. What exactly does sharing your bank account with someone change that makes it OK to have sex? Is this what religion is telling you to do? Pay for sex?

hmmmmm.....