Poll: Should sniper rifles be able to kill people in one bodyshot.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
If the gun is of a high enough caliber, then yes, one bodyshot should be enough. Smaller calibers should take two at most. It's a sniper rifle. It's meant to kill you quickly.

reCaptcha: lairmat geographic

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
mechman123 said:
As games stand today, No for any number of reasons.
2.its unrealistic(if the game is "aiming" for "realism")
And so on. While sniper rifles are indeed powerful(irl), however this insta-killing aspect disregards the power of guns in general within games. A bullet to the heart for just about any gun (hell even zip guns) can kill a person (especially at point blank range) while a shot to something like the shoulder is not.
I don't think you understand how powerful sniper rifles are in real life. If you get shot in the shoulder by one, it'd blow CHUNKS out of you. Short of getting your fingers or toes grazed, they'd kill you immediatly if you didn't have a tourniquite[sp] on you.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
until they have wounds that actualy imobilize then a body shot should be a 1 hit kill. head and chest should be an instant kill with no revive. stomach or legs and you cant move anymore until a medic heals you or just able to crawl to cover, legs and you can still use primary weapon, arm should be sidearm or knife only or a whole lot of sway and increased recoil with primary.

*edit
Also multiple body shots make snipers practicly useless, usualy they need to be in cover so they have a limited view and a limited opurtunity to get a kill. multiple shots makes them more or less just wounding someone who can still run and get to cover before the sniper can get the next round into them. with automatic healing this makes them completly useless unless they get nothing but headshots.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
I think that if they got a one-shot kill when hitting the heart, neck, or head, that would be fine. But it's bullshit getting killed by a shot in the hand.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
depends if you want ultra realism. for a heart shot, yes, for a stomach shot, no but after a minute or so you die

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Should depend on the rifle. Different calibers should do different damage, naturally.

A peashooter type sniper rifle still has mobility, but it shouldn't be a 1 hit kill on the body.

Big sniper rifles however... should be 1 hit kills. But they should also be balanced to where they can't be fired unless in a stable firing position (prone, or with a bipod). Sorry but a high power rifle has enough kick to put you on your ass, you shouldn't be able to fire it from the hip or standing up.

So yea. Light sniper rifles, maintain mobility, reduced dmg.
Heavy sniper rifles, 0 mobility but 1 shot 1 kill.

Fair, and realistic.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
imo, yes, if games want to harp on realism so bad, then make the Sniper Rifles one-hit kills like they are in real-life.

But, by that same logic, MAKE THE SNIPER RIFLES ONLY EFFECTIVE AT FAR RANGE. Stuff like quick-scoping, no-scoping, and whatnot takes skill, I'm sure, but it defeats the entire purpose OF a sniper rifle. If you're going to make a realistic sniper rifle, MAKE a realistic sniper rifle, where the thing is hard to carry, takes a while to set up, and you sure as hell can't immediately point it at something charging at you from the side and reliably hit it.

If they refuse to do that, then yes, do not make the body-shot a one-hit-kill. I respect no-scoping and quick-scoping and all that stuff, but at the same time, I find it stupid to do all this stuff to the sniper rifle that makes it far less effective to use it as its actual purpose (you know, sniping).

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Separate chest and stomach hitboxes, but I won't say chest shot should be instant death, maybe just sends them into critical health.

Bear in mind this only applies to the less realistic shooters but not arcade shooters like TF2(in which it shouldn't) nor the realism shooters like ARMA(in which it should).

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
Nah, unless we're being realistic, for all the things Halo has done wrong, weapon balance has always been spot on in those games. One for the head, two for the body. If melee wasn't so overpowered in Halo, we'd be set.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
I wish that sniper rifles would be a one hit kill with a body shot unless the opponent has a body-armor perk of some sort. What you have to understand is that a truly effective sniper does not go running around the map quickscoping, he has to be laying in wait for their target and line up the shot just right so he can get the kill. As far as I am concerned the Bad Company 2 sniping got it right because the sniper rifle usually killed in one shot to the chest and you had to compensate for bullet drop at distance, if you make the maps big enough that sniping is actually a suitable tactic that is the solution.

Besides it is just frustrating to get a hit-marker with a .50 caliber sniper rifle when that should have left a big gaping hole in his chest or have blown his arm off.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Yes. IRL even if a sniper round to the torso doesn't kill you it would probably break several ribs, perhaps puncture a lung or whatever. You would be in no state to fight anyone.

From a gaming perspective this seems reasonably balanced 'cos snipers tend to be slow to run with and kinda clunky to aim.

Dunkerloop

Aug 8, 2011
Well, it really depends on how often it gets used and charge times and stuff like that. Whenever me and my friends play as a sniper, we often forget that you can even bodyshot, and we always aim for the head if possible.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Teddy Roosevelt said:
007 Goldeneye had head shots... and they've stuck around since.
Heh, I forgot about Goldeneye, which came out the year before the original Unreal.
Actually, I forgot that game even had headshots...having so many games with Grenades and Mines.

Good times.

No, I think snipers need to be powerful to be one or two shots to the body. I don't mean the game should pick between the two, I mean it should be mostly one shot to the body, as modern ballistic armor used in the field will not stop a 7.62mm round or indeed a 12.7mm round (yes, let's throw in the 8.6mm .338 Lapua Magnum too, for kicks) from a high powered rifle unless at very long range. Much of the area of your body will yield a kill or be more than enough to knock you out of the fight.
Any sniper round starting from 30.06 onward would incapacitate the target if it directly struck most of their torso or head (assuming an armored helmet). Collapsed lungs, concussions...yeah, you'd out for a bit at the very least.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
It depends on where the game lies on the realism vs fun scale. It's not fun to be one-shotted, so if that is the game's aim (pun not intended...) then no. If it leans toward the realistic, then yes.