Poll: Should the Fallout setting go European (or anywhere else)?

Rock Beefchest

Dec 20, 2008
Maybe I am just biased but Fallout seems to be deeply rooted in the art deco fifties futuristic styling and based heavily in American cold war culture. Transplanting that into a European setting might not make any sense.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Denamic said:
Fuck no.
Arroyo and all that mystic bullshit was the worst thing ever to happen to the Fallout universe.
Tribals, sure, but not magic, visions, mystery temples, etc.
That shit has no place in Fallout and should be forgotten.
Eh? Off the top've my head the mystic bullshit seems extremely limited. Temple of trials seemed like something they'd found rather than built, the visions could well happen without Mr. Shaman's influence as a result of the main characters guilt and fears, the only magical bit I can think of would be the shaman being alive at a critical stage but that hardly seems excessive, albeit it'd been more cool to see the ruined place.

If other locations are a must, don't use Europe, it'd be hell to research 1950s culture here, and the massive amount of anti-American sentiment would probably not ring well with the US target audience.

China seems like the best bet if you HAVE to move it somewhere, I'd just like to see an actual connection to the old games beyond the visual and a cameo by an old character whoose immidiate reaction to seeing the player is "I HAVE BECOME A HORRIBLE ABOMINATION, KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE D':" which I will admit seemed very apt for Fallout 3.

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
Fallout is heavily based on American culture so you couldnt really make a Fallout game set in another country. I am in favor of setting it in another country as long as it isnt actually called Fallout. If they make such a game it should be its own franchise.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sizzle Montyjing said:
I have no idea why, but fallout London just works for me.
It's non-exsistent, but i can get a really vivid image of a crumbled big ben standing tall over a ruined London.

Plus in my mind the soundtracks is already pretty sorted, and locations are good.

In a sentence:
London want's to be nuked!
If anyplace, I would say London too.
But (and I may be dead wrong about this) I always got the impression that the US and China were the only ones who got bombed to the stone age. I feel like the rest of the world is largely unaffected and is also perfectly happy to let US & China slowly dig themselves out and leave everyone else alone.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
5t3v0 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Fallout Europe exists. Its called Stalker.
No its not. Chernobyl actually happened, thats not to say that The Events in Stalker actually had much to do with the initial incident as "It was an undisturbed location for our group of misguided scientists to do science." And I could go on for longer if I had the time and patience about both games being almost infinitely different from each other. And I also don't get why STALKER is always labled "Post apocalyptic". I thought Post apoc. was the world, not just a small(ish) corner of Ukraine?

The thing is, fallout Lore (which should be followed more accordingly, I'm looking at you bethesda,) has Europe pretty much decimated before the United States even was nuked. It could work, but it Might not. Also, Fallout's social commentary was always poking at the US paranoia of communism. Europe is pretty chilled out in the paranoia regard IMO.
Correct me if I am wrong but wars(on the Middle East if I remember correctly) broke out over poor economy and lack of resources. It has been a while since I read up on any of the Fallout Lore.

Personally I think they should take a look at a Canadian(mostly because I am Canadian) location. Since a big chunk of story did take place there when the Americans annexed Canada, and it would make sense that they would build vaults as well. The mountain regions of British Columbia would be a new location.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Istvan said:
How about setting it 50 years after Fallout 2 in Arroyo, see how things have progressed, meet new people, see old faces, continue storylines, y'know, 'sequel to Fallout 2' type things.
I love your idea, good sir!

I suggest we should do what Istvan said.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
the 1950's America look is the real theme behind Fallout.
the neato 50's cars, the tranquil neighborhoods being reduced to rubble makes it seem like the world really ended, like the actual remains of a once great, but unreachable civilization.
It makes the viewer shocked to see that the characters know nothing of what is considered "average" life for people of that era.

HazelrahFiver

Oct 12, 2009
While I do feel that a Fallout game in nearly any country could be interesting, and worth playing, it's hard to argue what was stated at the beginning of the thread. Fallout is ultimately separated from other games like it (what games?) by it's unique 50's culture carrying to the future... that gets nuked. Take that away and suddenly it's not a Fallout game anymore. Would still be awesome if crafted by Bethesda, but that's not the point.

Addendum: I agree with the poster above me and Bethesda on not knowing for sure what is going on outside of your character's scope is a big part of what makes the post-apocalyptic genre so fascinating.

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
It's non-exsistent, but i can get a really vivid image of a crumbled big ben standing tall over a ruined London.

Plus in my mind the soundtracks is already pretty sorted, and locations are good.

In a sentence:
But (and I may be dead wrong about this) I always got the impression that the US and China were the only ones who got bombed to the stone age. I feel like the rest of the world is largely unaffected and is also perfectly happy to let US & China slowly dig themselves out and leave everyone else alone.
Actually, China and Europe got it even worse than America.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Fallout follows the Western Mythology canon:

1) Lone, unknown hero wanders into new region/society
2) Hero initially distrusted by society
3) Hero proves to have some amazing ability
4) Villains threaten society
5) Hero defeats villains, saves society
6) Hero joins society as success (and occasionally loses "Hero" status - now fully belongs)

This code is followed through in many "Wild" Western and American narratives, and Fallout essentially follows this same code. Removing America from the equation makes this narrative suddenly redundant and would make no sense. If it were to take place somewhere else, the core plot would need to change - no longer could a "lone wanderer" fit.

Besides, Fallout's design (menus, Vault-Tec mascot, etc) would need to be completely revamped.

...maybe as a spin-off series it could work.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Volan said:
Fallout follows the Western Mythology canon:

1) Lone, unknown hero wanders into new region/society
2) Hero initially distrusted by society
3) Hero proves to have some amazing ability
4) Villains threaten society
5) Hero defeats villains, saves society
6) Hero joins society as success (and occasionally loses "Hero" status - now fully belongs)

This code is followed through in many "Wild" Western and American narratives, and Fallout essentially follows this same code. Removing America from the equation makes this narrative suddenly redundant and would make no sense. If it were to take place somewhere else, the core plot would need to change - no longer could a "lone wanderer" fit.
It wouldn't? Seemed to work when Akira Kurosawa took the formula for 'westerns' and used samurai instead of cowboys... and I'm pretty sure he didn't set them in the US.

Corax_1990

May 21, 2010
It is an interesting idea, Id like to see the Fallout world extended beyond the USA. Fighting super mutants with Russians accents would be awesome.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
robert01 said:
Correct me if I am wrong but wars(on the Middle East if I remember correctly) broke out over poor economy and lack of resources. It has been a while since I read up on any of the Fallout Lore.
No you are correct, I am just stating that STALKER is nothing like Fallout other than the fact that it has radiation in it too. Hell, Stalker Doesn't even have nuclear weapons even mentioned ingame.

Its just a few years of trying to not be a fanboy over anything have caught up with me in burst of fanboyism over anything I like. I hate how its become.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I like the thought of a Fallout game set in London or Moscow (But then again we already have Metro 2033, Russian mole-rats will fuck you up!).
I doubt that there will be a Fallout game set outside of the U.S but a man can dream damn it!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'm going to say no.

Fallout is steeped in Americana and without that, I don't think it would work.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Daddy Go Bot said:
GonzoGamer said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:

In a sentence:
Actually, China and Europe got it even worse than America.
Thanks for clearing that up. Where in the canon do you find out what happened in EU?