Poll: Should the Fallout setting go European (or anywhere else)?

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
Ultramatic said:
I always though Fallout was about the 'American way of life' and the 'American dream.' Not sure if it would fit in with a European version.

But bring on a post-apocalyptic Melbourne/Sydney!
Fallout is very tied to American sensibilities, so if they did move to another setting they would have to make it very different. It could certainly be good, but it would be a tough act to pull off.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I think a DLC at least with China might be interesting. I say DLC to test the waters first and see if there's a market or not. A full game might not sell as well.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
No. You see a lot of rpg games are set in a European style setting. So when one is set in an American setting I think it should stay there. This is the one RPG set in America and I would like it to stay that way. There are too many in Europe or European style setting.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
This question comes up all the fucking time and I always answer it the same way: the rest of the world does not matter in the Fallout franchise.

Why? Because parody of the aesthetic and ideals of the American "golden age" are integral parts of the franchise. Furthermore, everything people associate with Fallout are exclusive to the American setting. Things like Vault-Tec, the Enclave, NCR, Super Mutants, etc. You strip all of this out and what do you end up with? A game that really isn't much like Fallout at all. So there's no point to it. You might as well make a completley different franchise becuase at that point it basically is one.

The only place outside of America I can see a Fallout game working is Canada, and that is becuase Canda was had been annexed by the US. So there would be an excuse to incorporate the things we associate with the Fallout brand.

So as interesting as it might be to see apocalypse London, why make it a Fallout game? Make a new franchise and go from there.

Volan said:
Otherwise, considering the war, it wouldn't make much sense to switch to another region - but perhaps the war affected other regions, and Vault-Tec branched out to surrounding allied countries, such as Europe or Australia and New Zealand.
Vault-Tec never branched outside of Canada and the US. In the Fallout setting the US stopped giving a fuck about those countries long ago.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Fallout Europe exists. Its called Stalker.
Yeah, pretty much this.

Destro160 said:
i feel what makes a fallout game is the time line with 50's culture but 22nd century technology. Being set in another country might mix it up but they would need to craft like 50 new enemy types to show how each are of the world was affected differently by the radiation. my vote would be to go to japan in maybe a pseudo feudal/advanced age feel.
I would be quite interested in seeing Japan ravaged by nuclear bombs but they would throw a huge fit. There's something of a large taboo about nuclear weapons there cuz...you know...

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Going to Europe makes no sense in the scope of the whole America vs China war.

I can't actually think of any other countries that are mentioned in the series (although I'm certain they are).

Fallout: Europe would just be different for the sake of being different.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I'd love to see one in Asia. Maybe Japan, that would be interesting to have coasts and that shit, with big cities and awesome looking traditional buildings.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Mexican border, just like RDR.

You can go between the countries at your leizure. Mexico will have all the beautiful and unique locations.

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
Fallout taking place in another country would COMPLETELY rob it from its character and charm. If you'd do that you'd just have a generic post-apocalyptic game ala Metro 2033 or STALKER. Really, it's not even debatable.

The only way it could work is if the game took place during the resource war.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
The American setting seems almost essential to Fallout.

Still, there are plenty of places in America that they don't seem to have touched upon.

I want to see a full standing city, but with the Fallout Radiation Bath. And the New Vegas Strip doesn't count. That is barely a block in your standard US city.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I have no idea why, but fallout London just works for me.
It's non-exsistent, but i can get a really vivid image of a crumbled big ben standing tall over a ruined London.

Plus in my mind the soundtracks is already pretty sorted, and locations are good.

In a sentence:
London want's to be nuked!

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
If the series is gonna move somewhere else, I say next time set it in Canada.
Canada was annexed by the United States in Fallout lore, so technically it's still set in America.

I think it might be interesting to see the melding of Canadian culture (of that time anyway) with that of the American culture at the time.

Plus I really want to punch a mutant moose to death.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I get why it's supposed to be set in America, and that most of the established lore and world wouldn't be able to translate overseas...

But fuck if I wouldn't want to see Fallout: London, or Fallout: Paris, or something like that.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I don't see why not. One set in Russia or China[footnote]Yes, I am aware that China is not part of Europe. The point still stands.[/footnote] would be pretty damn cool settings.
YET!

(Also fallout lore is not real life lore, so China COULD be part of Europe there >_>)

Necromancer Jim said:
The American setting seems almost essential to Fallout.

Still, there are plenty of places in America that they don't seem to have touched upon.

I want to see a full standing city, but with the Fallout Radiation Bath. And the New Vegas Strip doesn't count. That is barely a block in your standard US city.
Yeah the US is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE, they've only really touched like...part of 3 ish states.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
As several people have said, Fallout is all about America. Besides, I don't think there are many people left anywhere else. Europe had already been reduced to "bickering nation states" before the bombs fell, and a lot of people had most likely died in fighting. China probably did a number on Asia. The US is more isolated, thus there was little ground-fighting, meaning more people alive when the bombs came down. Then you have the Vaults, which is a large part of why there are people in Fallout at all. I don't remember mention of any kinds of Vaults anywhere else.

Africa and Australia however... don't remember it mentioned. So there might be life there, but considering how dangerous some of the animals there are already, I don't think the mutated animals would leave many humans.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
As others have said, why keep the Fallout universe? Start another one!

AND THEN WE CAN HAVE FUN LULZY DEBATES ABOUT WHICH FALLOUT-STYLE GAME IS BETTRER.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
In the Fallout universe, there was a large-scale nuclear war between China and the United States/Annexed Canada, but I've never actually been sure what happened to the rest of the world. Were the European countries even hit by the bombs, or are they just struggling with the fear of prevailing winds carrying radioactive isotopes to their shores?

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
Varitel said:
In the Fallout universe, there was a large-scale nuclear war between China and the United States/Annexed Canada, but I've never actually been sure what happened to the rest of the world. Were the European countries even hit by the bombs, or are they just struggling with the fear of prevailing winds carrying radioactive isotopes to their shores?
Europe was also bombed to hell in the great war.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Northern America.....Maine....Michigan...Wisconsin....

Something where they can set a DLC in annex'd Canada

Fallout....feels like it should be American