Poll: Should the Fallout setting go European (or anywhere else)?

Ritter315

Jan 10, 2010
Actually there were a few games set in the Midwest so pretty much the whole of America has been somewhat taken into account, east, midwest and west. I think that the European angel could only work if it was in the pre-war era (Although that might be where MW3 is heading heh) Or it would have to be in England, possibily with a bunch of American tourists with more of a survival maybe Dead Money sort of feel. I really would like to see an apocolypse game FEEL like an apocolypse game and not one that makes you feel safe because you have a suit of power armor and a gun that shoots metal death. And Asia could only work in China mabye as a US soldiers right after the Great War or a little after working with a number of other American survivors, Shi Empire style from Fallout 1 (or mabye it was 2 I dont remember0

Sep 14, 2009
sure, just so as long as it shuts people up about EVERYTHING being set in america

if a game is interesting, i don't care where the fuck it is set, just let me play the damn game.

although there could be some interesting european based places in falloutesque styling.

TheFloBros

Aug 18, 2010
Fallout is about AMERICA. To me that's like saying "Should they make a Team America movie about Europeans?"

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
I wouldn't like the whole game set in another country but if they did like they did with Operation Anchorage and allowed you to enter "training simulators" whenever you wanted based in a few other countries which grants you a one off skill then I'd be all for it.

...so long as it wasn't DLC.

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
sure, just so as long as it shuts people up about EVERYTHING being set in america

if a game is interesting, i don't care where the fuck it is set, just let me play the damn game.

although there could be some interesting european based places in falloutesque styling.
You do realize people don't say it should be set in America just for the sake of it, right?

Sep 14, 2009
Daddy Go Bot said:
gmaverick019 said:

You do realize people don't say it should be set in America just for the sake of it, right?
oh i do realize it, there are plenty of solid reasons from game to game, but if you go check out the numerous homefront/war game/(basically all game companies based in america) threads, people get super peeved and do the "*sigh* another game in america? do they even LISTEN to the audience?!?!?!" and it ends up turning into an america hate thread.

fallout is the ONE exception almost, based on its WHOLE history of being set around america/cold war era style fear, where people agree it should be in america, but any other instance it immediately jumps into a frown of something being set in america.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
There are still many areas of America that haven't been explored, or even talked about.

So no, especially if Bethesda are the ones making it.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Fallout Europe exists. Its called Stalker.
Damn it, I knew this answer was gonna be taken. Oh well, I guess I'll throw Metro 2033 into the mix... unless someone took that too.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Fallout's done pretty good with parodying the 1950's era America and anarchism as a whole.

Could they stay in America and continue the steady quality? Yes. Would it be difficult? Yes. They've done a lot of what they could have done post apocolyptic. Deserts, cityscapes etc. The only way I can see Fallout continuing and not being all rehashy is if they try something more original.

ChupathingyX said:
especially if Bethesda are the ones making it.
Who else would?

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
ChupathingyX said:
There are still many areas of America that haven't been explored, or even talked about.

So no, especially if Bethesda are the ones making it.
I wouldn't even trust Bethesda with America. Instead of coming up with something new and original they just took a lot of the stuff from the old games (F.E.V., super mutants, the Enclave) and just shoved it into D.C. That just pisses all over the lore.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Fallout it overflowing with Americana, poking fun at much of it. Without that, the game loses a ton of it's base and appeal. If anything they could possibly do an offshoot game with some similar ideals, but the name Fallout should not be used. Perhaps Bethesda could contract an outside developer to make a game with the same engine and some of the Fallout IP, but with a different name. Of course it's Bethesda, and they are not fans of sharing their IP.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
LordRoyal said:
Who else would?
Obsidian, they're the only current developer capable of making a good Fallout game. Although, I still want Fallout to be set in America and not Europe, even if Obsidian were making it, I would rather they make it set in America.

AmaterasuGrim

Jul 16, 2011
Fallout is america 50's and should really stay in that mindset but should include virtual traveled like in fallout3 if remember right you go to some place in one mission that's covered in snow, this is a perfect method for including outside us countries.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Yes, but it shouldn't be obvious like London. It could be set in England, but in another city. Perhaps Manchester. Imagine that!

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
maybe back when the original creators were in charge of it....but i dunno if id feel comfortable with bethesda declaring what happened to the rest of the world.

obsidian may have a little more canonical authority. but the idea makes me feel uneasy.

Although if they did it, they could do it as not a whole game world but as maybe a little outing. Maybe you use a teleporter for some reason and have a little fight over there.

How mad would it be though came over on boats and attacked again?

luclin92

Apr 22, 2009
i agree that it could have a new setting but im happy as long as the area i a little more varied and hopefully actually have more green areas. i think that the annexed Canada i possible the best place to put the next game in since its not to far away from its original setting, but there better not be any super mutants there.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I really don't see how it could fit in with the Mythos. The core of the story is Nuclear War as it was perceived in the 50s and that doesn't really involve Europe in any way.

At best, European pop culture and Nuclear Fallout can only mix and match if you consider a Nuclear plant failing, like Chernobil. But that is NOT the theme of the series. The theme is that "war never changes".

Then again, you also have a lot of "backwater Americana" references in the story line that can simply not be replicated outside the US.

It's a nice idea. It's an original idea. But not a good or functional idea.

Maybe London would work, but it would be a totally different beast of a Fallout.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
This question comes up all the fucking time and I always answer it the same way: the rest of the world does not matter in the Fallout franchise.

Why? Because parody of the aesthetic and ideals of the American "golden age" are integral parts of the franchise. Furthermore, everything people associate with Fallout are exclusive to the American setting. Things like Vault-Tec, the Enclave, NCR, Super Mutants, etc. You strip all of this out and what do you end up with? A game that really isn't much like Fallout at all. So there's no point to it. You might as well make a completley different franchise becuase at that point it basically is one.

The only place outside of America I can see a Fallout game working is Canada, and that is becuase Canda was had been annexed by the US. So there would be an excuse to incorporate the things we associate with the Fallout brand.

So as interesting as it might be to see apocalypse London, why make it a Fallout game? Make a new franchise and go from there.

Volan said:
Otherwise, considering the war, it wouldn't make much sense to switch to another region - but perhaps the war affected other regions, and Vault-Tec branched out to surrounding allied countries, such as Europe or Australia and New Zealand.
Vault-Tec never branched outside of Canada and the US. In the Fallout setting the US stopped giving a fuck about those countries long ago.
Pretty much everything you've said in this post. The Fallout universe is so intrinsically dependent on American culture and ideology that an entire game taking place anywhere else might as well be it's own franchise. You would have to build everything from the ground up: mythology, history, factions, weapons, monsters, etc.

Saying that, I'll grant that it's not unlikely that humanity may have survived in other parts of the world. In Fallout 3 alone it's clearly hinted at that Dukov and Moriarty are of foreign origin, giving credence to the theory that intercontinental transportation or communication MAY still be possible. So, while there's potential for a future DLC or something that's a smaller part of a larger story that could dwell on the possibility of travel between the former world powers, I doubt that an entirely new game would be made to fixate on that premise (unless Bethesda would entertain the idea of reviving "Fallout Extreme"). I actually find it more likely that any nod toward the continued existence of the other world powers would probably remain text/dialogue based.

A new Fallout game taking place around the northern border states and Canada, though, now THAT is more likely. If it takes place an appropriate length of time away from New Vegas, you could probably work in the NCR into the game too during a period of northward expansion. It'd be easy to work in a story line lampooning cold war U.S.-Canadian border relations as well as the westward expansion/manifest destiny sentiments from the 1840's, with the NCR trying to "reclaim" Canada from the "savage native Canadians" (i.e. wastelanders descended from the vault dwellers of the Canadian territories). If it's played right, a DLC taking place in the eastern Canadian territories might be able to introduce a scouting party from the former European Commonwealth sent to investigate postwar North America, which would be a more appropriate hypothetical jumping off point for a Fallout game taking place in a foreign country.