Poll: Should There be Gay Characters in Kid's Shows/Films?

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
this has been bothering me for a while, we have a community that is in a largely public agreement that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, and yet, in kid's shows you'll often see male and female characters who are attracted to one another but never those of the same sex? and you can say "kids wont understand that" but i know for a fact that when i have kids, i certainly won't let them grow up under the delusion that only people of opposite genders can fall in love and get married!

so what are your opinions?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Of course? I'm more worried about the kids shows that show kids without parents throughout the entire show, and the only adults the creepy old men who run the deli. OTherwise you get kids that grow up like Elliot Reid of Scrubs.

Seriously though, sure. For the longest time, I always thought Pee Wee Herman was homosexual (and creepy), and that Bert and Ernie had something going on behind the scenes.

I wnna break of and make this something of a conspiracy Theory, but I firmly believe that shows dont do it because they dont want people to be influenced while they're young and then thus show the "homosexuality is a choice" argument could have some backing.

Optional Opinion

Dec 29, 2008
I'm torn between opinions.

On one hand I think that 'outing' spongebob and shaggy may lead to greater acceptance when they grow older and less homophobia in the teenage years.

On the other hand I think things should be kept simple and the prince should stay in the closet and keep going after that princess.

I'm struggling to come up with a decision.

Maybe it's my own prejudice and mentality but I would find it awkward and embarrassing talking about homosexuality. Well more awkward anyway, let' face it when kids and sex come together it's nothing but embarrassing.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Of course? I'm more worried about the kids shows that show kids without parents throughout the entire show, and the only adults the creepy old men who run the deli. OTherwise you get kids that grow up like Elliot Reid of Scrubs.

Seriously though, sure. For the longest time, I always thought Pee Wee Herman was homosexual (and creepy), and that Bert and Ernie had something going on behind the scenes.

I wnna break of and make this something of a conspiracy Theory, but I firmly believe that shows dont do it because they dont want people to be influenced while they're young and then thus show the "homosexuality is a choice" argument could have some backing.
Bert and Ernie are brothers. It doesn't make sense that they are six years old and live on their own, but they're siblings.

Sep 19, 2008
Am I the only one thinking that at the age you could be referred to as a kid most people honestly did not want to know about any form of sexuality it was "icky" and instead just wanted to mess about and be annoying.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
interspark said:
this has been bothering me for a while, we have a community that is in a largely public agreement that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, and yet, in kid's shows you'll often see male and female characters who are attracted to one another but never those of the same sex? and you can say "kids wont understand that" but i know for a fact that when i have kids, i certainly won't let them grow up under the delusion that only people of opposite genders can fall in love and get married!

so what are your opinions?
This. Well said.

When I was growing up, I had no idea that being gay was even an option. No one told me it was even possible. Which really screwed up things for a while when it turned out I was bisexual - imagine how confusing that was when I had no idea that gay people existed?

Of course, I grew up in the 80s, before the Internet. Oh, how having the internet would have helped me not spend years wondering what was wrong with me before I found out that liking other girls wasn't strange at all.

The sad thing is, my parents aren't even homophobes - they have no problem with gay people, and are generally okay with my personal gay-ness. But they didn't think it was an appropriate topic for children. See? This is why children need to know about all human relationships (not how they work, but that they exist) when they're still children.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Cursed Frogurt said:
emeraldrafael said:

Bert and Ernie are brothers. It doesn't make sense that they are six years old and live on their own, but they're siblings.
I was always told they were adults. well, maybe not adults, but like adults.

oh well, my opinion still stands. EDIT: maybe not so much about Bert and Ernie, but about the other stuff.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
I vote yay!

I mean a lot of people defend Alexandra Wallace and say things like: yeah! That's freedom of speech at its MAX!

So... If that exists... And it's defended, we could perfectly bring across good open gay characters in Kid Shows and not use them like jokes... (Don't think too much about the co-relation there)

That will prepare lil' Johnny to the world and how to deal with Freddie when he kisses him one day by surprise.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
There is a big difference between "should there be?" and "is it okay if there are?". Should there be, as in, is it imperative that there are? No. Is it okay if there are? Sure.

It shouldn't be imperative that we represent every culture and subculture in any sort of medium, but it shouldn't be regarded as a negative thing if we do.

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
While a kids show isn't going to have any sexual themes or anything in it it is impossible to say that they don't delve into relationships at all. It's not necessary but it would be nice to see acknowledgment since it does indeed exist.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
SilentCom said:
I don't think kid's shows should have any type of sexual connotations.
Who said anything about sexual?

Introduce two gay men who love each other. How is that different than a man and a woman who love each other? Kids shows don't go into details about what happens between the man and the woman, so why would they with the two men?

Being gay isn't ONLY about sex. It's about relationships. And kids learn about relationships at a very young age (from their parents, guardians, or whatever).

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
As much of an open mind as I have towards sexuality, I don't really understand the point of it in a children's show.

Besides, it wouldn't happen until the generations that have no tolerance towards homosexuality are gone. We all know that if the next Power Rangers has one of the male characters hitting on another one of the male characters you'd have a bunch of angry old people picketing the creators of the show.

blackflare

Jul 25, 2010
well honestly i wouldnt care less. But i feel as long as humans exists on this planet that there will always be someone who will be disagreeable who will always get face time or will be on a radio station or an article in a magazine rallying people against it. As long as they dont get too into it on screen or make it completely obvious.

This world might change someday but i dont think that will be anytime soon.

My personal opinion is its ok to an extent

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
SilentCom said:

Introduce two gay men who love each other. How is that different than a man and a woman who love each other? Kids shows don't go into details about what happens between the man and the woman, so why would they with the two men?

Being gay isn't ONLY about sex. It's about relationships. And kids learn about relationships at a very young age (from their parents, guardians, or whatever).
Good point. It would be really cool to see something like that on a kids' show. And then not as a big thing, but just treated like every other relationship on the show.

But I don't think it's that necessary, I'd love to see more gay characters on teen shows though because that's the time most people 'find' their sexuality so to speak. Or at least start to think about it. One show is doing amazing at this at the moment (Pretty Little Liars, show on ABC Family even).

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
SilentCom said:

I'm not saying that illustrations of relationships are bad however relationships of homosexual or heterosexual illustrate an intimate or romantic relationship. When I hear kid's shows, I think of stuff like Sesame Street or Dora the Explorer or whatever. The kids who watch these are usually grade school or younger and would not understand intimate or romantic relationships. Most kids this age think kissing is gross. Even if kissing was not shown, the kids would not understand homosexual relationships unless it was explained to them. This also goes for heterosexual relationships. Kids will likely view homosexual relationships as friendships and completely mistaken the characters. Shows catering to young viewers should not blatantly illustrate any type of sexual or intimate relationship even if sex was not shown. I think the earliest that a thing could be shown should be toward adolescence when kids are becoming more open to such behaviors.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
"Why not?" is a better question. Seriously, what is the big deal?
^Exactly what this guy said. Somebody chuck him a biscuit for being right.