Poll: Should we boycott EA Products?

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010
I'm sure you all have heard of the stuff EA has been doing, mostly centered around their release for BF3, including this new Origin monitoring software and the EULA that goes along with it:
(The following is for those who havent seen it yet)

2. Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA's Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

I am hesitant to suggest this sort of action, because I have long supported EA and especially their battlefield series. I have really enjoyed them over the years and been a loyal customer of their shooters. But it sees lately EA has been getting a bit of a big head... and it seems like they no longer care about their PC gaming community. EA is seemingly wanting to pander to the less mature, teenage console gamer audience (and I don't mean all console gamers are immature, there just alot more of them that are underage.) And with this latest Origin monitoring software...it just seems like EA doesn't want PC gamers around anymore. Even though it was our dollars that helped them become the driving force they are today.

What do you guys think, should we boycott EA products?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sure, why not? Apparently, they don't make anything I really want, or not much of it. Basically, it's like playing a safe bet.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I haven't bought an EA game since the first Mass Effect. The only game from them that I've been interested in during the last few years has been Battlefield 3, which I'm not getting because of Origin, and there isn't a single game from them that I am interested in for the foreseeable future. Call that a boycott if you will I guess.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
I didnt say it with L4D2. Nor with MW2. . Or any game.

But this service is worth boycotting. Telling EA that this is not something users 'want' is fair.

midget_roxx

Feb 22, 2010
Looks like the same as the Apple EULA

Well OP you better get boycotting, I'm sure you can start your own site about it :)

Feb 13, 2008
I don't think that boycotts will do any difference. Truly. There's simply not enough of us to make a dent in the legions of fanboys that will buy it anyway.

What we can do is educate. Let people know that Origin is acting like a virus. Use words like "cracked", "hacked" and other scare words when describing it. Tell your mum and dad not to get you any EA products because they might wreck your computer, show them one of the threads and then let word of mouth spread to the legions.

Origins relies on good will - defeat it with word of mouth.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
If Origin bothers you so much, then don't buy EA's products, but I've never really understood the sentiment that boycotting somehow lends more credence to the fact that you didn't buy something. If enough people decide to not buy products tied into Origin, or if the company receives enough bad press, then they will probably change the policy, but you're not going to convince anyone to join you by shouting "boycott!" other than people who were already doing the same thing, anyways.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Uh, it's up to you. The TOA specifically says that if you dont want your stuff to be monitored, don't install Origin.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
You're sure we've heard of the stuff EA's been doing? Of course. Half of it probably started on this website and it probably is exclusive to this site. You yourself probably heard it first on this site... Sorry I had to get that out of the way.

OT: Boycott it if you want. Unless it fully explodes on the net, you aren't going to cause a revolution by making one thread of it on one website.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
I don't boycott shit games simply because they serve no interest in me. The only game that I am remotely interested in from EA right now is Mass Effect 3

Yvl9921 said:
Uh, it's up to you. The TOA specifically says that if you dont want your stuff to be monitored, don't install Origin.
You know that limits the consumer significantly. "Hmm should I install this program that is essentially Spyware, but I can my game that I legally purchased on it... Hmm"

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I will avoid Orgin as long as I can, however if pushed I might end up using it, although i will block it every time McAfee asks me about. They need to change this part of the software b4 they can really get it off the ground.

On a off topic, when i saw the interest in BF3 i thought it will bring down the sales of MW3 however now with all this i know it will potentially harm the sales of BF3 and in essence not harm MW3.

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
Imperius said:
I'm sure you all have heard of the stuff EA has been doing, mostly centered around their release for BF3, including this new Origin monitoring software and the EULA that goes along with it:
(The following is for those who havent seen it yet)

2. Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA's Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

I am hesitant to suggest this sort of action, because I have long supported EA and especially their battlefield series. I have really enjoyed them over the years and been a loyal customer of their shooters. But it sees lately EA has been getting a bit of a big head... and it seems like they no longer care about their PC gaming community. EA is seemingly wanting to pander to the less mature, teenage console gamer audience (and I don't mean all console gamers are immature, there just alot more of them that are underage.) And with this latest Origin monitoring software...it just seems like EA doesn't want PC gamers around anymore. Even though it was our dollars that helped them become the driving force they are today.

What do you guys think, should we boycott EA products?
If I may make an addendum : Boycott and raise awareness .

Dec 16, 2009
dont buy many EA products as it is
the same sports game rleased year after year isnt appealing to me.

i was hopeful when they signed Bioware, but I'm losing interest in them now.

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
yuval152 said:
Yes,EA has gone too far this time.ANGRY MOB TIME!!!!GET YOUR PITCHFORKS!!!!
You know...

If people can stand up to a protester-torturing/shooting regime and succeed...

Why can't we succeed against the EA bunch of executive ****-less office gerbils that haven't seen the world outside of their tinted-glass windowed limos.

Feb 9, 2011
I've been doing a personal boycott for a while now. I'm not exactly advertizing it, but I don't intend to buy anything from them for a long, long time. No worries, though, since I'm not really interested in most of their current games anyway.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
This belongs to "probably-should-probably-wont" but considering how publishers continue to mistreat their customers we need to do something, but I've got the feeling of "nerd boycott"..