Poll: "Show a little sympathy; all death is tragic !"

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
I've read this many times on forums. What do you think of it? Do you agree? Disagree?
I have to say, no.
If someone who I don't know dies, why does it have to be tragic to ME? If some celebrities death occurs, why should I have to have be personally affected? The fact is I don't know 99% of the Earth population, and death happens every day. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day. I don't enter into a day by day depression over it. Something being horrible is one person's opinion.
EDIT: Its in gaming discussion? I put it in off-topic. Weird. It says off-topic to me.
EDIT de EDIT:Its not about Winehouse though her death contributed to the timing. Think recent deaths of HORRIBLE people.
EDIT de EDIT de EDIT: Okay, I've said it multiple times so I'll just put it here. Someone dies with no regrets. Is it tragic? Should I show sympathy for THE PERSON WHO DIED. I thought that was clear, but I mean sympathy for the one who has died. Also please don't play the "Holocaust card" if saying ALL life is worth it. In saying "NO", you're saying some death doesn't need sympathy from you, and some don't deserve sympathy.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I can't exactly hold it against people for thinking so, but I don't agree with that statement.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
TheScientificIssole said:
I've read this many times on forums. What do you think of it? Do you agree? Disagree?
I have to say, no.
If someone who I don't know dies, why does it have to be tragic to ME? If some celebrities death occurs, why should I have to have be personally affected? The fact is I don't know 99% of the Earth population, and death happens every day. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day. I don't enter into a day by day depression over it. Something being horrible is one person's opinion.
Yes.

Death is always tragic.

Sometimes it is necessary. Sometimes it is a good thing. Executing a murderer is right and just - but it is still tragic.

Too many people seem to think it has to be one or the other.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
A) Off topic exists for a reason.

B) All death is tragic. Of course, spending a whole day moping about Amy Winehouse dying is a little ridiculous if you're not a massive fan, but at least show some respect.

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
It's not about entering depression or sobbing about a tragedy when we consider the dead. Don't correlate it too closely to tragedy; it's about giving them respect, being thankful that they could live, and acknowledging that a human's lifetime - the struggles, the emotions and all the events it entailed - have come to an end.

That is the very least we can do for everyone who faces death.

Anthan

Apr 3, 2010
"Tragic" is a term relevant to different people.
To someone who knew and liked someone who passed away, their death would be tragic.
To someone who didn't know someone who passed away, their death would be less so if at all.

All death is tragic to someone. But no death tragic to everyone.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

TheRightToArmBears said:
B) All death is tragic. Of course, spending a whole day moping about Amy Winehouse dying is a little ridiculous if you're not a massive fan, but at least show some respect.
And this I suppose. I'm really not going to get depressed and weepy over the death of someone I've never heard of before today.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
When Keith Richards tells you to ease up on the drug use, you should probably take his advice.
Amy's death is tragic but not exactly a surprise.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I don't believe all deaths are tragic. Some, yes, but death is also a natural part of life and must be accepted.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
You may not know the person, but someone else did. They were probably important to someone else. I'm not saying you need to cry a river for them, but still show some sympathy.

So in a way, I do agree.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
There's sympathy and then there's respect. You don't have to feel personally affected, but show the necessary decorum, i.e. offer condolences, don't say anything rude about the departed.

It is also perfectly natural to feel some degree of sadness at the death of anyone who isn't an incorrigible shit. I assume this is all about Amy Winehouse, so I'll use her as an example. She may have been a shambling junkie, but she was a person, with hopes, dreams, fears, loves, quirks and all else that makes up a human. The loss of almost anyone is sad, even speaking objectively. I'm not going to break down and cry about it, or even feel that bad, but it is sad.

I suppose, my view is that just because something isn't tragic to you, that doesn't mean it isn't tragic.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Ordinaryundone said:
.....where is the gaming in this gaming discussion? Color me confused.
Well don't you think it's tragic when the characters in the games you play get killed? I'm not just talking the good guys either, don't you ever stop to feel sorry for the hundreds of thousands if not millions of enemies you've killed over your gaming career?

OT: No, I don't really feel the need to flip out the way some people do when someone I didn't know dies. I don't really feel that it's all that tragic when a convicted murderer is executed, we didn't need him anyway.

I was kind of sad for a little while when I found out a guy I went to school with was killed in Iraq when his vehicle overturned, but I didn't really go on about it.

gammazuma

Feb 17, 2009
All life is important and precious. Even the death of the worst person ever is a loss because that person could have been redeemed.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
To me it is if its a relative or friend. Yet all death is tragic because of the factor that the deceased person was related to some one or had a good relationship with some one and for them that is tragic. If some one has no one than that is also tragic because they died alone.. see where I am going with this? Yes OP you have a point because we don't know 99% of the worlds population. With every death though there is some one who is devastated by it. Keep that in mind.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
If i don't know the guy/girl then its not my problem and its not something that i should be concerned about.