Poll: Silent or Talking Main Character?

ObnoxiousTwat

Sep 28, 2008
It seems a little pointless but I wondered the other day if gamers really cared if the main character talks (ex. Halo 3) or is silent (ex. Half-Life 2). Does it matter to anyone else?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
In games like Bioshock, Dead Space, Oblivion, Portal and possibly Half Life 2 it makes sense because YOU ARE the character and therefore the character should not speak as that ruins the immersion. However when they make it a character drama like in Dead Space the same can fail if the lead never expresses emotion. Therefore having a character who can keep his mouth SHUT during gameplay (Take notes on this Tommy) and only speak in cutscenes as a method of characterisation/immersion as a mix I find to be perfect.
To fix up the confusion of that statement.....

A character who never breaks immersion by not speaking during gameplay, but can still speak and have personality in cutscenes is the ideal choice. Therefore I say characters like the Chief got it right.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
You should have a fourth option along the lines of "It all depends on the game the character is in". That's the one that I would pick.

PauL o_O

Feb 15, 2009
I feel so much more BAMF if I'm a silent creepy character who can cause loads of damage.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
Talking will most likely result in annoying voice actor/actress, won't match up right or terrible lines that are quickly repetitive.
Silent = peaceful, mysterious, leave it to the imagination what they sound like.

Unless your going to get a spot on voice actor and give the character decent lines, you are better off with silence.

more is said through actions anyhow. let are main charcters be Boba Fett not Jar Jar, thx much

army-88

Sep 4, 2008
Being silent really works in a lot of games but sometimes the character just cant be silent or it would ruin the game.
I mean picture if you will, through the whole Metal Gear Solid series Snake doesnt say a word. It just wouldnt make any sense now would it?

Emptor

Mar 21, 2009
Vrex360 said:
In games like Bioshock, Dead Space, Oblivion, Portal and possibly Half Life 2 it makes sense because YOU ARE the character and therefore the character should not speak as that ruins the immersion. However when they make it a character drama like in Dead Space the same can fail if the lead never expresses emotion. Therefore having a character who can keep his mouth SHUT during gameplay (Take notes on this Tommy) and only speak in cutscenes as a method of characterisation/immersion as a mix I find to be perfect.
To fix up the confusion of that statement.....

A character who never breaks immersion by not speaking during gameplay, but can still speak and have personality in cutscenes is the ideal choice. Therefore I say characters like the Chief got it right.
I second the above statement

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
A voice to connect to the pixels definitely helps you relate or connect to the character. Mass Effect wouldn't be half the game it is if it didn't have the thousands upon thousands of lines of spoken dialogue in it. The voice helps you connect to the character, and for me at least, makes the game more immersive.

Good examples of voice acting improving a game: Duke Nukem, Mass Effect, Halo series

There are of course exceptions, annoying voices or ridiculous dialogue kind of ruin it.

SprodeMaster

Apr 21, 2009
I'm honestly glad Samus doesn't talk, at least we aren't risking having hamfisted grrl dialogue or god forbid an "Oh no he di'int" moment, and it adds to her character.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
Good to see you took the suggestion.
In the original Saint's Row, the protagonist's silence is more of a running joke, one abandoned when he breaks his silence to make a joke of his own. I appreciate that the main character speaks in the sequel, however. The game wouldn't be half as funny without the protagonist's lines in it. On the other hand, it just doesn't work for Fable 2. Drama and pantomime can work but not with the sound effects and animations provided in the game.
Conversely, a character can be too chatty. For example,Nick Kang from True Crimes: The Streets of L.A. seems to have a terminal case of verbal diarrhea.

Pscyon

Mar 9, 2009
Depends. In an RPG where you build your own character, silent ftw. Having someone else's potentially annoying voice depicting "me" just doesn't fit. I found it hilarious in Saints Row where other characters even did the odd remark on how you didn't speak too much. Then in no.2, you had an obnoxiously annoying voice who treated all his subordinates like shit (good move for a guy who was betrayed and BLOWN UP in the past, way to make more friends) When you play a spesific character though, like in most FPSes, having a talking character makes sense. One of the things that made me like Master Chief is that he had personality.

Pandazooka

Jun 12, 2009
I prefer having the character silent, because it enhances the immersion. It feels like more like I'm in the spot, rather than controlling a talking marionette.

I also believe whether or not the character talks depends on who the developers want the character to be.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
ObnoxiousTwat said:
It seems a little pointless but I wondered the other day if gamers really cared if the main character talks (ex. Halo 3) or is silent (ex. Half-Life 2). Does it matter to anyone else?
This is not really a topic which you can successfully debate over because there's endless arguments for both sides.

If it works for the game and context it's applied to, then it's good.
/thread.

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
For me, I'd go with a talking protaganist.

Contrary to what most people's opinions, I grow more attached to the player charecter if it's well... A CHARECTER! Than if it's just my avater screwing with the world.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
Talking. In any game. I just feel like an idiot, when another character spits all his/her life story at me, but I just stand there like a silent retard. I hate when the protagonist has a personality of a brick. It ruins the immersion and annoys me.
Gordon Freeman would be more interesting, if he said at least a couple of sentences everytime he meets someone. It would develop that thing with Alyx too.
Non-talking characters are not appealing and I have no reason to care about them. I can visualize myself in the game, even when the main character talks.
Voice helps you to relate to the protagonist.

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
for its better for the main charac to talk..i mean silent character ruins the immersion of the game such as NFS:Undercover etc...