Poll: Single Player or Multiplayer

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
I get games for the single player. The multiplayer is just something extra to do when I'm done.

Marmal4de

Apr 4, 2010
Depends on the game really. When I feel like being immersed into a game and its world i'll go for single player, but when I just want to have mindless fun i'll usually plug my iPod into the 360 and play some COD or Reach.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Single player, because multiplayer games like CoD are just mind boggling to me. Which is to say that I don't understand or see any value at all in standing around on the same maps, for hours, every day, of every week, killing other players with the same tricks over and over and over and over again.

Sounds like the people who that stuff are easily amused folk, to me.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
100% single player. I want to be engrossed in a story and experience the characters and events within it.

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
There needs to be an option for both. I play all aspects of a game when I get it, even if it's only to test it out, but usually I end up liking the multi-player and it keeps the life-span of the game longer.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I go with Single Player. All my friends growing up lived just far enough away it was a hassle for them to come over every day. So I grew up playing single player. And Xbox Live just isn't worth the money for me, I don't play enough to get value out of it and I could use the 70 bucks a year on something else

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Originally, I would have just said single player and been done with it. But a couple weeks ago, I tried out multiplayer for the whole weekend to see what it was like.

As a result, I've changed my stance: If there's a good co-op mode, then I'll go to multiplayer. If it's competitive, then I'm not interested (with exceptions being Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Dead Rising 2).

Unfortunately, I only own a couple co-op enabled games (Splinter Cell: Conviction and Dead Rising 2... sort of).

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Hmmm...

Tough one, but in the end, single player.

While I love the multiplayer on some games (most notably BF:BC2 and Halo, and also Homeworld despite how crap I am at it), the reason I get most games is for their singleplayer. This is probably a holdover from my many years of not having access to online play.

That said, as good as all the trappings of singleplayer can be in a well-made game (see: Mass Effect, Homeworld, Halo)... nothing quite compares to the sheer amounts of fun you can have with a big group of friends online. Assuming you're not disturbing levels of antisocial (*cough* Yahtzee *cough*).

Singleplayer games can give you a memorable, fulfilling, sometimes artful experience. Multiplayer can give you one hell of a good time, over and over again. In the end, though, I usually plump for games because of the former. BF:BC2 was the first game I got because of the multiplayer (fittingly, the singleplayer was merely "decent", occasionally surfacing above into "quite good" and dipping alarmingly into the "terrible" zone for the entirety of the last level onwards).

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Definitely single player. I grew up playing single player games, they're the best. I love multiplayer; BFBC2 is fantastic and CoD is fun occasionally but nothing beats a good campaign. One game which is heavy on the multiplayer that I am looking forward to, however, is Bulletstorm. That's one game I plan on getting hooked on

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I much prefer single player. However, I really do like multiplayer, or rather, I want to like it. There aren't many multiplayers that I've played that are very good. Probably the best multiplayer I've played is the AC:B multiplayer. There's still a fair amount of stuff wrong with it and it's not very re-playable, but overall, the gameplay is great.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Single player easily wins my vote.. with MMORPGs being the exception. (but you can kind of solo in those too, so... take what you will from that).

Multiplayer FPS games just take too much time and effort. You have to make the game your life. You have to study the maps, study how other people play, study how all the weapons work, practice with all the weapons, practice on all the maps, IF you want to be good at the game. If you don't mind logging in, waiting through 5-10 minute lobbies and dying over and over, then I guess they don't take a lot of effort...

Back in the day when PC FPS were the norm, it didn't take a lot of practice to be competent, because a mouse = easy precision aiming. Getting a headshot while aiming with your thumb is like using your elbow if you aren't used to it... anyway, ya.

I have very fond memories of playing Team Fortress Classic (the Half-Life 1 mod). Counter-strike, quake 3 and Unreal Tournament (the first one). Those PC shooters were a BLAST multiplayer.

Halo, CoD, and Gears of War have never interested me at all. Their player base seem to be mainly hardcore people that play only their game of choice, and therefore they are just TOO good at it. Takes any reason for a casual player to play the game away, because you just won't stand a chance unless you dedicate yourself to the game as well. worth it? not to me!

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
michael87cn said:
Multiplayer FPS games just take too much time and effort. You have to make the game your life. You have to study the maps, study how other people play, study how all the weapons work, practice with all the weapons, practice on all the maps, IF you want to be good at the game. If you don't mind logging in, waiting through 5-10 minute lobbies and dying over and over, then I guess they don't take a lot of effort...
Patently false, I'm afraid. BF:BC2 and Halo required next-to-no practice for me (though to be fair, I am very much used to console controls for FPS games) for me to start finding them very fun. Also, your view of the playerbase of such games is a little skewed. Most people play it to have a good time. If they get better at it, it's because they play it lots, yes - but the reason they play it lots is because it's fun. I certainly don't view either as a hobby or anything, and I'm OK at both.

As for CoD, I don't play it, but the reason pretty much everyone at my school likes it is because they just find it fun to play with friends. It's not as if they take it seriously, it's a fun recreational activity. Maybe this is the difference between British and American mindsets...

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
michael87cn said:
Patently false, I'm afraid. BF:BC2 and Halo required next-to-no practice for me (though to be fair, I am very much used to console controls for FPS games) for me to start finding them very fun. Also, your view of the playerbase of such games is a little skewed. Most people play it to have a good time. If they get better at it, it's because they play it lots, yes - but the reason they play it lots is because it's fun. I certainly don't view either as a hobby or anything, and I'm OK at both.

As for CoD, I don't play it, but the reason pretty much everyone at my school likes it is because they just find it fun to play with friends. It's not as if they take it seriously, it's a fun recreational activity. Maybe this is the difference between British and American mindsets...
I wasn't denying that people that play just for fun don't play those games, I was saying they will never be very good at them. Personally, I don't like how those games work. You turn on your xbox and start the game, you select multiplayer and get put into a lobby. You wait for the game to start and you run around for a while, maybe you help someone kill someone or you get killed pretty fast, either way you're still sitting there with the controller in your hand watching other people play, when you started this whole process 15 minutes ago. Having fun yet? Nope! That's just my opinion though.

A lot of people voted single player in this thread, which really surprised me however.

chipfizz

Jul 15, 2009
I stopped playing online a while ago and now i have almost no time to play because off school. If the campain doesn't work for me then it goes to the back of the shelf end off.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
michael87cn said:
OhJohnNo said:
michael87cn said:

I wasn't denying that people that play just for fun don't play those games, I was saying they will never be very good at them. Personally, I don't like how those games work. You turn on your xbox and start the game, you select multiplayer and get put into a lobby. You wait for the game to start and you run around for a while, maybe you help someone kill someone or you get killed pretty fast, either way you're still sitting there with the controller in your hand watching other people play, when you started this whole process 15 minutes ago. Having fun yet? Nope! That's just my opinion though.

A lot of people voted single player in this thread, which really surprised me however.
For me, games generally go more like "start, run around, kill/get killed, kill/getkilled, kill kill getkilled killkillKILLCARNAGEBOOMDAKKADAKKADAKKA WAAAAAGH"

*surfaces 10-30 minutes later feeling very satisfied and with hilarious/awesome moments engraved forever in the memory*

And that's when I'm not accompanied by friends. When I am... the fun we've had...

FPS multiplayer isn't for everyone, though, I understand this. But I only play for fun, and the last time I got wholly owned and killed loads of times in a row by the same guy (by somebody who wasn't a f**king sniper-camper - which I'll admit is a problem in some maps in most multi FPSs) was years back. Maybe it's just because it's Reach and BC2 we're talking about, and they're very good multiplayer FPS games indeed (though as an aside, I believe Reach has a great singleplayer too, in keeping with Halo tradition).

Also, these forums are heavily singleplayer oriented, much like they are heavily PC oriented. This is probably due to Yahtzee.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
It really depends on the game, and how I feel at the time.

When I want to just enjoy an experience, I'll play a single player game. Story, gameplay, no annoying people abusing features in the game, etc.

When I want to interact with other people, or play with my friends, multiplayer is...well, you get the idea.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Only 4 Games I play for multiplayer.

TF2
COD MW2
Borderlands
L4D/L4D2 (WHICH I SERIOUSLY NEED SOMEONE TO GIFT ME ON STEAM BECAUSE MY XBOX BROKE AND SOLD ALL MY GAMES FOR IT!!!!!!!!!)

Paularius

May 25, 2010
I find a good single play campaign with optional co-op to be very good and satisfying.
Altho saying that i also enjoy multiplayer games aswell as single player games.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
Both, seriously, why restrict yourself? Nothing more satisfying than winning with skill and hard work in my opinion.