Poll: Skyrim Kinect

KinectFAAST

Dec 4, 2011
Sigmar ov The Hammer said:
What about an Elder Scrolls game where your body controlled your character..... So, you walk on spot, and the character walks, control your weapons (and have your own technique), etc, etc.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think it'd be cool.
I think these are a couple of good ideas. I tried using a walk in place movement method, rather than the foot forward, but ran into some complications. I thought about keeping the foot forward method for moving forward, but then the person would have to run in place to sprint.

I would love to see an kinect RPG where you could just swing you arm fluidly, like the smooth movements seen Kinect Adventures Rally Ball, and then it would just know when contact was made and deal damage. That would be amazing.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Meh, I wouldn't want to have to actually move to play this game, since sessions tend to be pretty long. Also navigating the menu looks like a pain.

On the other hand using it for Dragon Shouts is pretty awesome. What'd make it better is if you didn't have to equip one to use it and just actively shout whatever you wanted.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
It'd get annoying in combat. I'd rather it were set up like the ME3 Kinect. "Fireball, Right," and now I have Fireball set to my right hand. "Unrelenting Force," (because FUS RO DAH seems like it'd be more complicated to get Kinect to work) and my guy Shouts.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
its a cool idea the main problem i saw from the video was that there seemed like a bit of a delay between the commands and the in game execution, would make playing on the harder difficulties rather frustrating. other than that looked like fun but not something that you could sustain for long amounts of time per session.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Looks fun. Skyrim doesn't call for fast reflexes and so the gameplay lends nicely to motion controls.

The verbal command options are far to slow and tedious to be used in a game like this. Well beyond calling spells in combat that is.

I'd say Kinect would enhance how the game plays so long as it's optional.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Shouting the Dragon Shouts would be nice, but it would have to tell you how to pronounce them before you use the shout.

Waving your arms about to cast spells and strike with weapons I don't see working, at least not without a controller to work with it.

Changing items would be a massive hassle with Kinect. Say you had to do a specific gesture to get a certain spell out. Kinect would almost certainly detect it wrong at at least 1 point in time. Same would go for blocking vs attacking. it would likely pick the wrong one when you really needed the right one, but pick the right one when you could recover from its bad detection. The same kind of goes for voice controls, which were demonstrated in the vid. I don't mind it too much, other than the fact that it took a while to get out the item he needed, even after he'd said the command the swap over didn't begin for what I count as a reasonable pause, and we could see the bad recognition when he tried to select flame atronach.
If you had a menu to scroll through to equip stuff, it would just be a lot harder than using a keyboard and mouse or a controller to equip stuff. Voice controls kind of work around this, but it would get tedious, and for those like me who have others in the house when I'm playing games, I would get told to keep it down 'cause they're trying to watch TV or something.

It is an interesting idea, but with current motion controls, no. Imma wait till they become perfectly accurate all the time, don't take that delay to process what you said, and put my arms and legs as my characters arms and legs, so rather than putting one foot forward and having that as walk, I'd actually walk to walk.

KinectFAAST

Dec 4, 2011
Joccaren said:
Shouting the Dragon Shouts would be nice, but it would have to tell you how to pronounce them before you use the shout.

Waving your arms about to cast spells and strike with weapons I don't see working, at least not without a controller to work with it.

Changing items would be a massive hassle with Kinect. Say you had to do a specific gesture to get a certain spell out. Kinect would almost certainly detect it wrong at at least 1 point in time. Same would go for blocking vs attacking. it would likely pick the wrong one when you really needed the right one, but pick the right one when you could recover from its bad detection. The same kind of goes for voice controls, which were demonstrated in the vid. I don't mind it too much, other than the fact that it took a while to get out the item he needed, even after he'd said the command the swap over didn't begin for what I count as a reasonable pause, and we could see the bad recognition when he tried to select flame atronach.
If you had a menu to scroll through to equip stuff, it would just be a lot harder than using a keyboard and mouse or a controller to equip stuff. Voice controls kind of work around this, but it would get tedious, and for those like me who have others in the house when I'm playing games, I would get told to keep it down 'cause they're trying to watch TV or something.

It is an interesting idea, but with current motion controls, no. Imma wait till they become perfectly accurate all the time, don't take that delay to process what you said, and put my arms and legs as my characters arms and legs, so rather than putting one foot forward and having that as walk, I'd actually walk to walk.
Hey, thanks for all the great feedback! You're certainly right that there are certain limitations with the Kinect as it stands nows. Even the big developers are struggling to release games that really use it to its full potential, even working within those limitations. In my situation being just one person, there are obviously even more obstacles to overcome.

That said, I would also like to see a more fluid gesture and voice based experiences. It would be great if we say the name of any item to use it. I think in a game of smaller scale than Skyrim this could be possible, especially if designed from the ground up for Kinect support.

You do point out one obvious flaw, that the voice isn't always recognized. Just to clarify, this is mostly do to the inexpensive bluetooth headset I was using ($20). I was actually surprised at how well it worked, but my expectations were low. Another issue, as you suggested is the lag between voice commands and the item coming out. I believe this may be due to the VAC program used to handle voice controls, but it may be a limitation of my underpowered computer.

Finally, i LOL'd because one of my roomates actually posted on my Youtube page, complaining that she has to try to fall asleep listening to dragon shouts coming from the room next to her!

Again, appreciate the feedback. Cheers!

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
*Slaps you in the face*
No, NO, NO!

... unless I could yell out FUS RO DAH! and use my dragonshout...

NOW I WANT TO REVOTE FOR THAT!

KinectFAAST

Dec 4, 2011
Of course you can shout Fus Ro Dah and use your dragon shout... Unfortunately, before I made this video I failed to realize the immense popularity of that particular shout. I honestly don't use Unrelenting Force very often, so it didn't make it into the video, but it certainly is programmed into the voice controls.