Poll: Skyrim Spiders vs. Minecraft spiders

Stephen Phillips

Mar 4, 2010
There's something I've been wondering about. Whenever I play Skyrim I barely flinch as I mow down legions of beautifully graphically detailed Frostbite spiders of all sizes, yet in Minecraft if I get jumped by a spider, which looks like a lego model of a spider, I jump out of skin and a get a shiver down my spine. Now that's a good spider!#

What do other people think?

targren

May 13, 2009
Stephen Phillips said:
There's something I've been wondering about. Whenever I play Skyrim I barely flinch as I mow down legions of beautifully graphically detailed Frostbite spiders of all sizes, yet in Minecraft if I get jumped by a spider, which looks like a lego model of a spider, I jump out of skin and a get a shiver down my spine. Now that's a good spider!#

What do other people think?
Clearly, you have Legophobia. I suggest medication or a pre-frontal lobotomy.

Disclaimer: I'm not a psychiatrist nor a brain surgeon, but I did stay at a Holday Inn Express once...

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
Minecraft Spiders: "Lol, i want to make them with lego in real life!"

Skyrim Spiders: "Kill It! Burn It! Run the **** away! OMG theres a 20 ft tall one!" (cry under desk) Repeat until I finish the dungeon.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
While I do get pretty scared by spiders in Skyrim (They remind me of those in Dark Messiah), cause they're giant, hideous and hairy, they don't hold a *khm* torch *khm* to the ones in Minecraft. I guess it's because Minecraft's spiders are more pitch black with red eyes, and their animations seem a bit more unnatural compared to Skyrim's. That and you know you'll lose all your shit if they kill you. In Skyrim, it's just a matter of quicksaving a lot.

Their hissing is disgusting as well, and because of their primitive animation you can't know whether they're trying to hit you or are just having a seizure.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
I recommend the mods that modify the texture of the Skyrim spiders.

They'll seem more terrifying than the Minecraft ones.

As for me, I think they're cute.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I respond to both varieties by mashing left-click and yawning.

However, the Minecraft ones win by dint of being able to climb up walls.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
The GIANT skyrim spiders do bother me slightly, such as yesterday I went into a cave and shit myself when 3 BIG ones just came down from the ceiling behind me!

As for minecraft. not really bothered unless I'm caught unaware.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
acer840 said:
Minecraft Spiders: "Kill It! Burn It! Run the **** away! OMG theres another one!" (cry under desk) Repeat until I make it home.

Skyrim Spiders: "Lol, one arrow -> Spider meat anyone?"
I fixed it for you.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
The minecraft ones easily. They just end up being scarier, the hissing, the unatural movement and look they have. Also they can climb walls.

Necroid_Neko

Nov 24, 2011
Some of the Miecraft ones are poisonous, they win hands down when I can't get my mouse on the milk quick enough.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Minecraft ones, on the basis that:
1. They can climb walls.
2. They're fucking creepy in dark rooms.
3. The hissing noise they make.
Skyrim's spiders don't hold a candle (I would have said torch, but someone already beat me to that rather obvious joke) to Minecraft's ones.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Spartan1362 said:
acer840 said:
Minecraft Spiders: "Kill It! Burn It! Run the **** away! OMG theres another one!" (cry under desk) Repeat until I make it home.

I fixed it for you.
Skyrim Spider? One arrow?
You've clearly never played master difficulty
Pretty much they one hit you, but after about 100 arrows you might be half way to killing one of them

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Random Fella said:
Spartan1362 said:
acer840 said:

I fixed it for you.
Skyrim Spider? One arrow?
You've clearly never played master difficulty
Pretty much they one hit you, but after about 100 arrows you might be half way to killing one of them
I played Skyrim on medium.

But clearly you've never been in a abandoned mineshaft on MC where those poisionous bastards litterally rain from the ceiling.
I just died and I was wearing full iron armor with a diamond sword.
And this is on medium.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Neither is scary at all...
Though the Minecraft ones are more dangerous to my minecraft character than the Skyrim ones are to my Skyrim character (Those are no threat at all. Never were.).
Unless I'm using modded content in Minecraft. Like that armour from industrialcraft that makes you invulnerable to damage as long as it has power.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Skyrim Spider: Weak. No threat. Can't even deal damage on master difficulty to an afk target.
Minecraft Spider: Fast, Strong. Sometimes possess instant kill poison and are small enough they can't be blocked by terrain. Tactically minded.

Dragonborn: Infinitely powerful.
Steve: Able to collect dirt at a respectable pace.

I think it's quite clear where real fear comes from.
Losing hard won diamonds and all of your gathered enchanting experience!
Fear does not come from auto killing inconsequential enemies or being so bad at Skyrim you need to load an auto save from 30 seconds prior.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Everything is scarrier in Minecraft, because it's combat system is fucking terrible. This is likely because combat is not the focus of the game, just a very small part of it.

Disclaimer: I have not played Minecraft for a while and, it being Minecraft, it may be a completely different game by now.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I don't find either scary. Skyrim Spiders are easy to beat, one or two arrows when you start the game, even when you aren't sneaking, can kill them with no difficulties.

Minecraft spiders, however, get in all sorts of places, can run almost as fast as you and can be poisonous and poison absolutely wrecks your shit, unlike Skyrim where poison only annoys a melee character.

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
Try a Skyrim spider with War in Skyrim mod. The poison nearly drains you straight down to hell. They one-shot my companion, and that is still while I'm at long to mid-range! They're only easy to kill if you can get close enough to one so instead of a one-hit poisoned death, you can at least scratch away at their health bar while only receiving non-poisoning melee attacks.

Though Minecraft spiders can cause you to lose all your shit, I always have a worse time with surprise zombies from the ceiling myself.

Stephen Phillips

Mar 4, 2010
Thanks for your replies all.

I guess the main thing here is that in Minecraft you spend most of your time looking for ore and building and I've jumped out of my skin when I've been jumped by a spider or skeleton while mining out a Iron ore vein.

Skyrim however. Combat is the focus and you have a lot of spells and weapons. Also you usually expect them a way off (webs etc.) They have their fangs and a web-spit thingy. You - double flame blast - which roasts a small spider in less than a second and 5-6 seconds for bigger ones once it's powered up with augmented flames (+50% dmg).

Nimhe never had a chance.