Poll: So... Assassin's Creed Female protagonist leaked. No Multiplayer. Now do you care?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Since 2007

Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed II
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Assassins Creed Revelations
Assassins Creed III
Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassins Creed Rogue
Assassins Creed Unity
Assassins Creed Syndicate

Just...finish it already and do something else! I have played Brotherhood and Black Flag only and they were great but it didn't hook me (and I heard they were the best ones). That is 1 game every year (and I am not mentioning the spin-off games or DLC). COD is exactly the same story. In the end they will just kill themselves by over-saturating the market just like Guitar Hero.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Metalmacher said:
Despite the problems of the franchise, I really respect AC because it tries to do very revolutionary stuff, complex simulation building and all that.
... At least, that's what I thought before Unity. Now they went too far. Ima sit in the sidelines for this one, unless it's proven to be good.
Explain, please.

RJ 17 said:
Captain Marvelous said:
I'll buy it new only if the game actually moves the present day story forward
Hasn't Ubisoft already come out and said specifically "We have no idea where this story is going" and as such "We just intend to keep making AC games until they're no longer economically sound"? Pretty sure I recall a couple articles along those lines. So yeah, if you're looking for closure on the present day front, I wouldn't hold your breath. :p

Ninjafire72 said:
"Assassin's Creed at this point is not a series of games. Assassin's Creed is now a line graph."
- Ben 'Yatzhee' Croshaw

That being said, I'm one of the few people interested in the Future-framework story; I'm a sucker for conspiracy / espionage stories. So I may, MAYBE, play the new one once it's down to about 20 ~ 30 dollars, just to see how the modern story plays out.
I think they also came out and said that they're trying to tie Watch_Dogs into the storyline, too. So, at some point, they'll probably decide that Ded Sec is the modern day version of the Assassins.

Also, I totally agree with Yahtzee there.

The truth is, Assassin's Creed suffers from poor decisions.

1) The decision leading to oversaturation due to yearly releases.
2) The decision to make up excuses for why they won't do certain things (which they're apparently backtracking on now).
3) The "overstayed" poor writing. This is one of the reasons why TV writers argue for limiting the length of time a TV series is on the air. After a while, people just lose interest, and the show goes out with a whimper rather than a bang. Assassin's Creed is past that point now. Many people just aren't interested anymore. This trend will continue over time until it reaches critical mass.

All of that said, I'd play games with female protagonists. It doesn't bother me at all. Will I play a new Assassin's Creed if there's a female protagonist? Probably not. I've only played the first one, and I found it boring before I was even halfway through it (and I tend to love parkour and stealth games). I'll be curious to see if this one receives the same fanfare that previous installments have received.

emissary666

May 6, 2009
Seeing as I do not plan to upgrade to a next-gen console any time soon, I likely won't be playing Syndicate, at least for a while. I have always wanted a Victorian London AC game, but after the (admittedly awesome) Rogue, I feel like the Assassin's Creed franchise has begun to stagnate. Additionally, I feel like having a female deuteragonist feels more like pandering than if they made a full-on female protagonist. Finally, I wish they would just kill the modern day aspects and just make the games about the time period. I understand it is a convenient plot device, but it has never contributed to the game in any meaningful manner; I want to play as an Assassin/Templar, not as someone else playing as an Assassin/Templar.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I barely know anything about it; I'm certainly not going to make a decision when the game was only just now announced. I'll wait for some reviews, watch some more gameplay, then see about picking up at a discounted price. Same process I always use to buy new games, and it usually works.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I have yet to see a game that has me geeked enough to invest in a next gen console. And Assassin's Creed: Syndicate certainly doesn't seem to be it. So Rogue will probably be my last game in the series.

Ubisoft had an interesting and unique concept that seems to have devolved into Grand Theft Parkour: Historical Edition. While exploring the sandbox world is interesting, the fun part of actually planning and executing a stealth assassination seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Even though Rogue was basically Black Flag 2.0, it did seem get back to the game's roots.

But like most people, the franchise fatigue has set in. And unless they do something wildly innovative and different, I think I'm done with Templars and Assassins.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Foehunter82 said:
The truth is, Assassin's Creed suffers from poor decisions.

1) The decision leading to oversaturation due to yearly releases.
2) The decision to make up excuses for why they won't do certain things (which they're apparently backtracking on now).
3) The "overstayed" poor writing. This is one of the reasons why TV writers argue for limiting the length of time a TV series is on the air. After a while, people just lose interest, and the show goes out with a whimper rather than a bang. Assassin's Creed is past that point now. Many people just aren't interested anymore. This trend will continue over time until it reaches critical mass.
Pretty spot-on with those points. I'm pretty sure the only people that thought it was a good idea to have yearly releases were Ubi execs with dollar signs in their eyes at the prospect of getting paid every year for what (at least at the time of that decision) was their most popular franchise.

And indeed, it was a huge failing to decide to just crap out a new game and loosely connect it to the one before it. They could have done that if there wasn't the whole "present day storyline" as a backdrop to the series. Had they just made each game specifically about the assassin's fighting templars in a new location each time, it wouldn't be that big of an issue...but since they're trying to have some over-arching story, that's where they've stepped in it. Especially when they come out and say "Yeah, we don't really have an ending in mind for the series." Because then everyone knows they're just spinning your tires in the mud, milking a cash cow for all it's worth. So I feel sorry for all those people who said "I'm just want to see how the story ends" because not even the people writing it know how - or when - that will be.

Just on a side-note (that relates to what I was talking about regarding having each game just be purely a historical simulator and to drop the over-arching story from the present-day), there's nothing wrong with a long-running series, TV or videogame. But if you're going to do that - as I've said - you can't have it be a continuous story. Each episode or game must only be loosely attached to the ones before it, meaning that each episode or game tells a self-contained story of it's own. Then people get the closure they want regarding a story and they don't grow impatient as they get strung out over and over by a series of cliff-hangers that make them realize "Nothing ever actually happens in this series." If people like the style of the series, they'll keep coming back for more stories in that style. As an example, look to The Simpsons. That show has been around for decades...and people keep watching it. Why? Because they like the humor and writing and each episode is it's own story. If The Simpsons had been trying to tell a continuous, cohesive story then it would have died out years ago.

Apr 5, 2008
I thought the whole lore revolved around Desmond on the present (or his brain) and using the animus to relive his ancestors memories, patrilinearly.

Played 2, enjoyed it. Played brotherhood, got bored halfway thru, that was the extent of my time with the series. I have zero interest in anything with an annual release cycle.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
dirtysteve said:
I think Desmond's story is done, but I haven't kept up. I know it wasn't part of Black Flag.

It's ended up like X-Files or Smallville, dragged on for so long, the main plot becomes less mysterious than convoluted and boring.
Desmond died at the end of AC3, because he pressed the magic button that saves the world
The problem is that Ubisoft wanted to keep making games after the whole 2012 event, so they've had to find a new way to keep the future/present framing device for the animus. so they decided
to put Desmonds Brain in a Jar and relive his memories that way.
Which does beg the question why Abstergo didn't just do that in the first place and not bother with the whole Desmond plot in AC1-3. Now, with the 2012 plot done, they're trying to do the same thing with Juno and the Sage, but god are they taking their dear sweet time to do anything with that.

I don't hate Desmond, but it took a long time(3 games) for him to actually get to do anything other then hang out in the animus all the time and they don't actually tell you his back story until revelations(and you have to play through the platforming bits, which are unlocked by collecting data clusters to see it).

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
Defiantly gonna buy syndicate. Love the setting. Playing a female mc in the main series could be interesting. Also no multiplayer? God i hope that's true. Assassins creeds pvp multiplayer sucked so badly and unity was bogged down in too much online garbage.

Feb 26, 2014
Smilomaniac said:
Heh, funny enough the addition of another character making it GTA V'ish where you swap between them, might just be what gets me into the series, but not for the whiny reasons I've heard about AC not having female characters.

Question is, will even a single feminist buy the game now that Ubisoft included a playable female character? My guess is no.
Especially when this is what they're likely thinking. [http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/assassins-creed-syndicate-developers-nakedly-exploiting-feminism-cheap-pr-1501503]
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. No one will ever win this game. Oh well. Arkham Knight is also doing the character swapping thing, right? It seems Rockstar has begun something truly wonderful that will definitely be overused and hated in two years.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The more I think about it the more I feel like I'll enjoy this game like I did Black Flag. It seems it takes Ubisoft two tries to get the game right. The first time they create something new and the second time they improve upon it. I can't help but hope that they manage to get it right. I really like Assassin's Creed. I played I,II, and Brotherhood back to back when I found out about the series.

Maybe one day they'll be able to get it right on the first try consistently or, if we're really lucky, Ubisoft will skip 2016, and maybe even 2017, to really work on the best AC game ever. I care if they choose a linear, chapter based story or an open world. I want the present day story to move a lot faster. I really hope to get some more good news.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Maybe. Assassin's Creed has just become...tedious. The last one I played was 3. I haven't even played Black Flag or Rogue (Though I do kinda want to fix that one day). The series is just too freaking oversaturated.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I gave the first Ass Creed game a try a year or so ago. I really liked the hide-in-plain-sight mechanics (even though Altair's outfit is stupidly conspicuous), but I hated the modern-day interludes. I wish someone would make an overhaul mod that cuts out all the crap involving Desmond's time, as well as the stupid monologues that Altair's victims recite even though their throats have been slashed.

And I haven't been interested in any of the sequels because of how they stopped being about stealthy assassination and more about real-estate management. Plus they didn't kill Desmond until Ass Creed 3 (which wasn't the third game either), and even after that, they maintained the modern side of the plot. So no, I really don't give a damn about this new one.

Metalmacher

Jan 24, 2015
Foehunter82 said:
Metalmacher said:
Despite the problems of the franchise, I really respect AC because it tries to do very revolutionary stuff, complex simulation building and all that.
... At least, that's what I thought before Unity. Now they went too far. Ima sit in the sidelines for this one, unless it's proven to be good.
Explain, please.
All of the assassins games rebuild historical cities and locales with breathtaking authenticity which is absent from pretty much every historical game ever made, The animation complexity of the games is evolving constantly, citizens' AI is increasingly immersive and the way you can interact with them is ever growing... In those departments, I'd say there is no equal to AC. I HAVE to respect the developers of Ubisoft for the attempt to improve with every game. It's those folks at the top you should all be hating, because of their yearly release demands, and stuffing their microtransactions sensibilities inside the franchise. Unity might be broken, but honestly, it was inevitable. A new engine, with new animations and mechanics, plus Co-op, plus creating all of paris, multiplatforms optimizations... couple that with the yearly-release nature of the franchise, and you cannot expect anything else... It happened before TWICE in the franchise: 1) The original Assassin's Creed and 2) Assassin's Creed 3. Both used new engines for their time and the result was apparent...

That doesn't mean I'm not weary of the franchise, as I've said before... But I believe respect should be given where respect is due, and folks on the internet have a tendency to forget that sometimes.