Poll: So Borderlands 2 is going to the Vita

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea, apparently Borderlands 2 is coming to the Vita. While I would've loved to hear this news a year ago, now it seems a little lame...even if I am still playing Borderlands 2.
However, if the Vita can get more big console releases at the same time, it might be worth getting one. Imagine that new GTA Online thing on the Vita, that would be cool but probably not possible.
The psp had more spinoff type games like GTA Stories and I think I preferred that to a direct port a year late of launch. I have to admit, if they just announced a Borderlands spinoff coming to the Vita, I'd probably be on my way to the store to buy one now.

So what do you think, should the Vita get more direct ports like this or more spinoff type games.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I would like more original games... However if the port is good then it just another game to play.

Oh No A Wizard

Aug 20, 2013
It really depends. If the port is good then I can't really find any reason to complain but then again the Vita needs it's fair share of original titles to be able to justify buying it if you already own a PS3. So I guess spinoff games would benefit the Vita more.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sorry I should've added "cheaper memory" to the poll. That shits expensive.

Oh No A Wizard said:
It really depends. If the port is good then I can't really find any reason to complain but then again the Vita needs it's fair share of original titles to be able to justify buying it if you already own a PS3. So I guess spinoff games would benefit the Vita more.
I think you're right. Of all the vita titles out there, the only ones that sound vaguely appealing are Touch my Katamari (always wanted to play a touchscreen Katamari game) and Asscree Lib.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Whoa, that's incredible news. Thy've just solved all of my "what to do while traveling" issues for the next five or so years. Previously that was answered by Final Fantasy Tactics and Front Mission 3 on the psp.

But yeah, cheaper memory is the one thing holding it back. They just cut all their prices by $20 but that's not close to good enough. Their 8GB memory card costs as much as a normal Sony brand 32GB SD memory card. A 16GB mirco SDHC card costs $15.

Seriously, what kind of idiot bottlenecks the amount of $10-$60 software their customers can buy just for the hopes of getting an additional $50 one time? I didn't buy digital games on the PSP until last year and I bought my psp new. Why? Didn't have the space. They've probably lost several hundred dollars on my alone by not making the memory more affordable back when I bought a PSP in college.

so, good on them for reducing the prices, still bad on them for not cutting them to reasonable proportions when this bottlenecks the hell out of what we can buy and store on the system.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Sorry I should've added "cheaper memory" to the poll. That shits expensive.
You really should have. that's the main reason my library isn't like 500 titles.

I want more good games. If they're ports, they're ports. Ideally, I would like some of them to be original titles to better justify the purchase, but as long as I'm having fun, I don't care too much.

Lightknight said:
Whoa, that's incredible news. Thy've just solved all of my "what to do while traveling" issues for the next five or so years.
As long as it runs single-player, I imagine.

Seriously, what kind of idiot bottlenecks the amount of $10-$60 software their customers can buy just for the hopes of getting an additional $50 one time?
Thank you!

Let me give my money to Sandisk or whoever and I'll end up buying more games. I just dislike the constant shuffle of games I currently play because a reasonable card costs an arm, a leg, and a kidney.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I think it needs... A little of everything. I greatly prefer portable gaming to the sit down kind so I love any and all ports to the system. I don't really think portable games need to be pick-up-and-play or anything so I'd like to see more full blown games like Boarderlands 2 come to it. If it wasn't for the fact that Boarderlands is multiplayer focused and I already have it on Steam to play my friends, I would have bought this game

But obviously every console still needs more original IP's in order to attract a bigger audience. I was interested in ports of full blown console titles on the go but that's not enough for other people. Though I do think Sony sort of shot itself in the foot with the expensive, proprietary memory. I guess they didn't want it to get hacked easily but honestly that gave the psp some appeal

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haha, if it doesn't run in single player then that'd be worthless to me.

Thank you!

Let me give my money to Sandisk or whoever and I'll end up buying more games. I just dislike the constant shuffle of games I currently play because a reasonable card costs an arm, a leg, and a kidney.
I think they made the Vita card smaller just to prevent companys from being able to make an adapter like they did with the PSP.

What's funny is the second I got the adaptor and bought some high-capacity mini-memory cards, I bought something like 10 psp games including several of those ps1 classics for my system. That's only one person.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I love my Vita, it's a great device and I use it pretty often, but I only have a few games for it. I could still be playing Persona 4 Golden on it, but I gave that a rest for now and have been working through the PS+ freebies. I've only got a 4 GB card, so I'm constantly shuffling games on and off of it, which is a little annoying, but not a game breaker. I don't really have any games that feel like casual "pick-up, put-down" games when I need to kill a little time, so I can usually finish a game and uninstall it without worrying about losing a "go-to" game.

That being said, the Vita needs some good exclusive games if it wants to stay afloat. A lot of people don't just want a port of a game that they have on their console/PC, and I can understand that mentality. Side story original games of existing franchises, as the OP mentioned, would be good, as would some original IP. I really enjoyed Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which would be under the former. Other than the forced, tacked on touchscreen actions (like using the machete or rowing the canoe), it pretty much felt like one of the console releases, and I like that a lot. Gravity Rush was a nice new IP that had some interesting mechanics, and I could see a sequel to that doing well.

So, more stuff like this could give the Vita the shot in the arm it needs, especially after the announced price drop and drop in the cost of memory cards.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lightknight said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haha, if it doesn't run in single player then that'd be worthless to me.

Thank you!

I think they made the Vita card smaller just to prevent companys from being able to make an adapter like they did with the PSP.

What's funny is the second I got the adaptor and bought some high-capacity mini-memory cards, I bought something like 10 psp games including several of those ps1 classics for my system. That's only one person.
Yeah, I look at the games coming out and think that either I'd need a new memory card and pass or that I'd need to delete stuff I play regularly and pass.

When they had a Squeenix sale, I bought several FF games I either hadn't played or hadn't played in years. Some of them I still haven't touched because of the memory card shuffle.

If I could plop in a cheap 32 GB microSD--which I already have an extra--or swap between 2-3 of them if need be, I'd probably have more games for my Vita than my PS3.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
GZGoten said:
is this real or is this like Bioshock for VITA?
It's real. Gearbox announced it yesterday or the day before I believe. It was a part of Sony's GDC conference I believe, but I didn't watch it.

Zachary Amaranth said:
If I could plop in a cheap 32 GB microSD--which I already have an extra--or swap between 2-3 of them if need be, I'd probably have more games for my Vita than my PS3.
I'd probably do the same thing if I could. Heck one thing I've always wondered is why isn't Birth by Sleep available under the PSP titles for the Vita, because I know for a fact that it wouldn't take up a whole 8GBs of space on one of their memory cards.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I went for "The Vita needs to stop tweeting pics of it's penis" because it tried to show off its huge wang (how powerful it is etc) but the trouble is it has no idea how to actually get the most of its huge schlong, anyone hooking up with it can often feel a bit disappointed by that.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, I look at the games coming out and think that either I'd need a new memory card and pass or that I'd need to delete stuff I play regularly and pass.

When they had a Squeenix sale, I bought several FF games I either hadn't played or hadn't played in years. Some of them I still haven't touched because of the memory card shuffle.

Exactly.

But a step in the right direction is certainly a good thing. It looks like they're actually planning on bundling memory cards large enough to allow people to download actual games for once. None of this uninstall all old games before downloading a new one nonsense.

If they do really pull off borderlands 2, then I'll be very happy. If they can do that then there's not a lot they can't. More titles like this would certainly sell the system as long as people are able to actually store them on it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lightknight said:
Exactly.

But a step in the right direction is certainly a good thing. It looks like they're actually planning on bundling memory cards large enough to allow people to download actual games for once. None of this uninstall all old games before downloading a new one nonsense.

If they do really pull off borderlands 2, then I'll be very happy. If they can do that then there's not a lot they can't. More titles like this would certainly sell the system as long as people are able to actually store them on it.
Agreed on both points. Something is definitely better than nothing, and maybe we'll see cheap Vita cards down the line. And, additionally, I'd really like a good BL2 port, because it's a game I could play for...Well, basically forever.

...Unless I need to uninstall it to put other games on. ;)

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Agreed on both points. Something is definitely better than nothing, and maybe we'll see cheap Vita cards down the line. And, additionally, I'd really like a good BL2 port, because it's a game I could play for...Well, basically forever.
you mean until Borderlands 3 comes out right ;)

I do hope this game does indeed come out and doesn't do like Bioshock, which was confirmed by Ken Levine and a logo was shown and that was it,. The game turned to vaporware :(

Borderlands has better chances since it's a port, so fingers crossed

Juste Goose

Aug 1, 2013
Spinoffs would be nice in general, but I would do just about anything for a portable version of Fallout 3/NV.

I don't know why, I've always just thought RPGs work better on handhelds.

NitehawkFury

Apr 8, 2011
Oie Justes said:
Spinoffs would be nice in general, but I would do just about anything for a portable version of Fallout 3/NV.

I completely agree with you. If Fallout 3 was released for Vita, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Being able to take the Wasteland with you would be amazing. If Borderlands 2 can fit their game on the system, then surely the world of Fallout is comparable?

I'll continue to hold out hope.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
NitehawkFury said:
Oie Justes said:

I completely agree with you. If Fallout 3 was released for Vita, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Being able to take the Wasteland with you would be amazing. If Borderlands 2 can fit their game on the system, then surely the world of Fallout is comparable?

I'll continue to hold out hope.
There's a slight problem with Bethesda games (including New Vegas which they only published). They have significant asset bloating issues that slowly gobble up more resources as the game goes on. That makes them particularly difficult to downscale. I would love it as well, though. So don't get me wrong there.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Agreed on both points. Something is definitely better than nothing, and maybe we'll see cheap Vita cards down the line.
I'm not going to hold my breath. The PSP 8GB is still over $10 despite $11 getting you both a duo card adapter and a 16GB miro memory card (a combination you actually CAN use on the psp). Our only hope is someone actually figuring out an adaptor for the device of if this miniscule price drop actually sells games to existing customers and Sony attributes it partially to make storing the games more affordable.

GZGoten said:
I do hope this game does indeed come out and doesn't do like Bioshock, which was confirmed by Ken Levine and a logo was shown and that was it,. The game turned to vaporware :(

Borderlands has better chances since it's a port, so fingers crossed
I imagine that was because of the poor performance of the system rather than anything else. Gearbox would be going into this knowing the number of sales on the system. That, more than anything, makes this more likely to happen.