Poll: So... did Skyrim meet your personal expectations?

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
Best game I've ever played. I wasn't even hyped for it (or even paying attention to it for that matter) until a week ago so unlike most people I didn't even have to suck up a long waiting period!

RetardedKitty

May 17, 2011
So After playing this game from Thursday (lucky me) I can actually decide what do i thing about the game.
I reached level 30 of the character, 95 max of one skill (archery), I United the Skyrim, Killed the big bad boss, become leader of Mage and Warriors Guild, Visited more than 70 dungeons and 140 locations.

In short
+Dragons are amazing, random and fun.
+Even with fast travel and other ways of moving around i still walked 90% of the time
+Battle is very good and makes you feel like a warrior/archer you want to be (dont know abut magic much)
+None of the 150 dungeons repeated it self yet, so that is impressive.
-Guilds quests are just too short, the main stories that is, i know there is plenty after the main story but still...
-There is still many bugs that sometimes can annoy the hell out of me
-Morrownd (even Oblivion)world felt bigger than Skyrim
-After playing game for 30hours i feel like completed 80% of the game already, where in Morrowind you felt like there is still dozens of unknown to explore.
-The '150' Dungeons are not only dungeons but every small cave/ship/tower you see on the way what is disappointing a little.

Dont get me wrong, game is amazing and i will still play it, its very addictive. But i think i was over hyped for the game because of all the trailers i watched for last year... also the nostalgia wants me to install Morrowind afterwards and remind my self how big and wast was the world there.. ( i know my eyes will cry)

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
DRes82 said:
Protected Riverwood from a frost dragon...brought it down on the street, crowd gathered around to look at the carcass and cheered for me. Best moment in a game ever...except for the final assault on the arch demon in DA:0 possibly.

Now if someone would just tell me how to fix this damned memory leak so that i don't have to restart the game every 30 minutes.
yeah, so many little touches in skyrim that just make everything so much more satisfying. from the little animations for forging weapons/armor and improving them, making leather, mining, general conversation, people meeting each-other in the streets, and even chopping wood for crying out loud!

gotta love skyrim, and i haven't even bought it yet! (a friend of mine did, and he let me play it for a bit. ima buy it sometime in the coming weeks, waiting for christmas be damned).

as for the final part of Dragon age, it was pretty awesome true, but that little part where you had to attack the little courtyard full of darkspawn right before the final building atop which you fought the dragon, it took me a billion tries to beat that, so that kinda ruined the feeling for a bit. (i still don't know why it was so hard, i just couldn't get past it)

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Loved Morrowind

Loved Oblivion

Skyrim is like a bridge between the two...

And its so....shiny... T.T

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
usmarine4160 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
usmarine4160 said:
So should I get this game? I feel like starting another Skyrim thread will get me hung from a tree
We're already hearing about a bunch of technical issues and it's only been out a day. With Bethesda games, the real problems don't start until it's properly broken in.
I'm sure it's an amazing game but I'm going to wait for them to patch it up.
I have a ps3 so I'm especially wary if it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The longer you play the more slowdown you get. So after 12 hours the game was getting pretty choppy on the PS3. Also, I don't care for the bland colors. Anyway, I throw Oblivion into the PS3 and am amazed at how pretty that game is in comparison to the bland, snowy areas in Skyrim. The greens are just so much brighter in Oblivion. The game also ran fast and smooth.

The most important thing is that Skyrim just wasn't holding my interest but I sat down with Oblivion for hours last night only stopping to go to bed at 5 AM. That's sad considering I have played the crap out of Oblivion and it is still more fun to play than Skyrim. Maybe Skyrim just needs to grow on me but something I loved in Oblivion is the speed that my khajiit character moves and how well he jumps. I really think not including athletics and acrobatics was a mistake. Those are skills that are easy to build and also have noticeable progression.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
usmarine4160 said:
I'm waiting till everything gets fixed then I might buy it for PS3 as I just use my PS3 for Blu ray (sorry panda :p)
It runs just fine on PS3, I've played for numerous hours as of yet no bugs or crashes and I don't consider the OP giants to be bugs/glitches. The NPC's work fine, the interface is easy to use and doesn't hamper gameplay. All in all the PS3 version works great. So if thats whats stopping you, then take this as testimony that PS3 Skyrim is working as intended.

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
John the Gamer said:
4. The weight limit seems awfully low, but I guess that's what cheats are for :)
Really? I thought it was much higher than oblivion. But then again, I run around in mage robes so i guess the lack of armor helps that.

Sinathor

Mar 16, 2011
Skyrim is an RPG for people who don't like RPGs. That's my bottomline after around 20 hours of play. Unfocused and mostly just completely random, accompanied with the worst quest design ever.

Also, about immersion.... Immersion =/= Graphics. I was unable to get immersed in the game because nothing makes sense. The NPCs are completely thick and none of them knows they're living in the very northenmost parts of the world. They wear t-shirts in a snow storm and not a single NPC says that it's cold here. Ever.

That all on top of the fact that after 15 hours of play my mainquest broke down and there was nothing I could do, even if I loaded an earlier save. And the only other interesting questchain I had found was with the stormcloaks, and guess what, the questchain broke down too. Yay.

GG Bethesda. You made a piece of shit game. Again.

And don't even get me started on the dragons.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
I've sunk in about 20 hours in about 2 days, and I am loving it, I have barely scratched the surface of the ammount of content in this game, and the fact that so much of it is high quality is astounding. Also can someone help me out with the dark brotherhood in a non-spoiler way, because I've killed several innocent people (in game), and they haven't contacted me yet.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Sinathor said:
Skyrim is an RPG for people who don't like RPGs. That's my bottomline after around 20 hours of play. Unfocused and mostly just completely random, accompanied with the worst quest design ever.

Also, about immersion.... Immersion =/= Graphics. I was unable to get immersed in the game because nothing makes sense. The NPCs are completely thick and none of them knows they're living in the very northenmost parts of the world. They wear t-shirts in a snow storm and not a single NPC says that it's cold here. Ever.

That all on top of the fact that after 15 hours of play my mainquest broke down and there was nothing I could do, even if I loaded an earlier save. And the only other interesting questchain I had found was with the stormcloaks, and guess what, the questchain broke down too. Yay.

GG Bethesda. You made a piece of shit game. Again.

And don't even get me started on the dragons.
I like RPGs and I love skyrim, so yeh

Dec 27, 2010
It was better than I guessed, but not in a "OMG this is teh beast gaem eva!" way. I expected it to be decent, but made a point not to buy into all the hype surrounding it, but it actually turned out to be really very good. It turns out I was also pretty spot-on when I said that half the over-excited twats who were practically trolling this site with hype threads would be the ones bitching about the tiniest flaws and looking wistfully back at previous installments in the series.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Perhaps my tale of the most badass moment ever will show you how much I love Skyrim.

I was running in snowy mountains,relatively low level and went down to a stream,because I saw a shack of some kind down there.Going down,I met a frost troll.At my level,this was about as close to an impossible fight as it gets,but after downing potions like shots at happy hour,I beat the damn thing.Meanwhile,my companion is still lost somewhere.

I continue on to the shack,promising myself I would quick travel back to town afterwards,and I met a snow bear.FUCK! I start running away,but a dragon swoops in and starts fighting the bear.
The dragon is clearly winning,so I take out my bow and start using the dragon as an oversized pin-cushion.
Alas,after the bear died,the dragon turned it's attention towards me.Now,I'm running very,very low on potions and I'm out of mana and stamina,but I manage to get the dragon to land.Unfortunately,by the time that happens,I have no more hp,no more potions,no NOTHING.It all comes down to just a few blows.
At the precise fucking moment where I'm about to die,my companion swooshes in and power attacks the dragon with a huge two-handed sword with fire enchantements on it.I'm pretty sure it got a critical hit,because the dragon lost quite a lot of health in a single hit,but more importantly,it staggers,allowing me to get a last hit with my sword,and finish off the beast.
I absorbed his soul,spent it in the most fun sounding shout I had laying around and got the hell out.

Such is teh nature of the game,unpredictable and fun as hell.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
SpaceBat said:
King of the Sandbox said:
A good roleplaying game gives you these "distractions" as tools for helping you craft your own tale. Y'know... role-playing.
I know that, but I also believe that these distractions should be done in a way that doesn't harm the main story? And isn't the quality of these "distractions" important as well?

I'll try to explain with as little grammar errors as possible:
In Planescape Torment, for example, the sidequests allowed me to to, as you said, craft my own tale. It allowed me to create my own character, to roleplay, to immerse myself into the world. But most of these sidequests not only had a interesting tale of their own, they also added something to the backstory and/or depth of characters or to a district, city or world et cetera. These sidequests not only allowed me to craft my own tale, but also allowed me to immerse myself even more into the world and my character, but also got me more interested in the main quest. It boosted the main plot, while providing distractions. I never truly got derailed.

Oblivion on the other hand, at least the first 15-20 hours of my playtime, merely gave me (mostly) random fetch-quests for random items for random people for no interesting reason and that completely drained away my interest in the main plot. I mean sure, you can say I was role-playing, but it wasn't satisfying or interesting. I didn't feel as if I was actually developing within a world as a character, but just wasting time. I felt as if I was still the same person (unable to develop as a character and grow more attached to anything), still living within the same world, where my actions for the past 15 to 20 hours didn't matter whatsoever.

I hope I was able to explain it well enough. English isn't my first language.
To me the sidequests are perfect for what they are. they do fill out the background of the city/people around you. Without revealing too much spoilery content, there's some families who used to be best of friends who are driven apart due to allegiances in the looming civil war, which leads to some interesting sidequests. The Companions quests are amazing and have a really cool and unexpected turn. One of the main holds (cities) has fallen on hard times and needs you to help restore it to glory by re-discovering its history and artifacts.

Yes a lot of the quests lead to dungeon crawls and fetch quests, but they don't FEEL like fetch quests. To me they have enough appeal, and the dungeons are incredible enough, that I never feel like it's a hassle to do any of the sidequests.

And no, I don't think that the side-quests detract from the main quest, even though I've only done a handful of missions of the main quest they seem interesting enough, but they do make you really travel all over the place, and I wasn't ready yet to leave my home town yet as I still felt that that was a ton of stuff left to do.

Really, the highest praise I can give to Skyrim is this:

I have played the game for close to 30 hours already, and only in the last 3 or so hours did I visit the 2nd of 9 major cities, and I still feel like there's a ton of content and quests I left behind in my first city, and I felt sad to leave my hometown, which I had saved from the dragons. I haven't even joined the Dark brotherhood, or the thieves guild, and only just started the magic guild. I haven't finished the fighters guild or done hardly any of the main quest, but I'm still having an incredible time with this game and feel like what I'm doing matters in the world.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
Also for anyone going into Dwarven ruins, watch the **** out. Theres some crazy stuff in there.
I learned this the hard way. The groups of three or more enemeis are really tough to take out.
Overall the game has been abolutely outstanding, apart from some graphical problems that are leading to me having framerate issues on my less than two month old gaming PC.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
I can't remember the last game that held onto my soul as much as Skyrim.

Oh wait, yeah I can! Oblivion!

TheOddOneOut

Sep 17, 2011
John the Gamer said:
I forgot one major annoyance: unkillable characters.
those fucking little kids man. Its like, some people complained that you couldn't kill children in Fallout so Bethesda made the kids in Skyrim insufferable pricks.

Mar 26, 2008
I've got a love / hate relationship with Skyrim.
It's a lot like Oblivion, which I love but because it's a lot like Oblivion I'm also disappointed. I expected a significant leap forward given the amount of development time and all I got was moar Oblivion (which I'll again state is not a bad thing).
All the things I loved about Oblivion are there and improved upon (although the "streamlined" leveling system can take a flying leap), but the graphics are a real mixed bag. I don't know, it really divides me in some areas.

I think I'm probably harsher on it after playing Modern Warfare 2.5 recently and I'm starting to build a case toward developers just slapping a new coat of paint on older games and tweaking a few of the features before unleashing it on the public. At least Skyrim is different enough to not be seen as an expansion pack to Oblivion. I'm still looking forward to playing it again when I get home.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Nope it did not, im finding it quite boring to be honest.

Already made up my mind that im.trading it on Tuesday for AC: revelations, whether ive finished it or not.