Poll: So has an advert ever actually put you off spending money on the product advertised?

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Thats my question to you and if your answer is yes, what was the advert and what was it about the ad that made your blood boil?

Recently for me it was the new Samsung Galaxy advert, the one that opens with the stupid little whistling noise and David Beckham smirking. I was in the market for a new phone and i was torn between the Samsung and the more classic Nokia, this advert made my mind up very fast. It was so irritating and was on tv so often I actually started muting the tv during ad breaks so i wouldnt have to listen to it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yah, another chance to complain about the ad that set gaming culture back a few years!

Dead Space 2

I liked Dead Space. I didn't love it but I was interested enough in it to purchase the sequel.

Then...

Yes, the "Your mom is going to hate this game" ad is every reason I have for not getting Dead Space 2. That commercial is so utterly insulting to everything it should mean to be a mature gamer that I absolutely refuse to give that game any type of support.

EDIT: See below for I have decided to give the game a go. However, removing this post seems like it would create a weird gap so I'm keeping it here!

EDIT 2: See post 7, 10, 15, and 62 before you decide that I'm an idiot for this :)

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Post from Raven's Nest

TallanKhan:
Thats my question to you and if your answer is yes, what was the advert and what was it about the ad that made your blood boil?

Recently for me it was the new Samsung Galaxy advert, the one that opens with the stupid little whistling noise and David Beckham smirking. I was in the market for a new phone and i was torn between the Samsung and the more classic Nokia, this advert made my mind up very fast. It was so irritating and was on tv so often I actually started muting the tv during ad breaks so i wouldnt have to listen to it.

YESS, I have bitched about this advert to my friends before. I don't know why it affects me so much??

And I thought, crap I already have a galaxy :(

In general though, If I find an advert obnoxious I'll go out of my way not to purchase it.

OK, this is ridiculous. The nintendo ad at the bottom of the screen has covered up my captcha some how and now I can't even post this damned reply. If you would be so kind as to post this for me?

Nintendo can fuck right off now if they think I'm buying a wii u.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Yes, the "Your mom is going to hate this game" ad is every reason I have for not getting Dead Space 2. That commercial is so utterly insulting to everything it should mean to be a mature gamer that I absolutely refuse to give that game any type of support.
I think the dev behined Dead Space are actually good and deserve our suport....

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Vault101 said:
I think the dev behined Dead Space are actually good and deserve our support....
And I greatly enjoyed Dead Space 1 so I'm just as sad that I couldn't get Dead Space 2. However, that commercial is such an insult to gamers everywhere that I just can't get past it. I wish I could but I can't :(

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
At least they tried to change their definition of "manly" when that wasn't working! Unfortunately they changed it to "Manly = Total Douche"
Too true, and it seems to be a definition more and more advertisers are subscribing to, if i wasnt such a manly man myself i might get upset about it, unfortunatley between applying Old Spice and eating Yorkies there just isnt enough time in the day...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
And I greatly enjoyed Dead Space 1 so I'm just as sad that I couldn't get Dead Space 2. However, that commercial is such an insult to gamers everywhere that I just can't get past it. I wish I could but I can't :(
thats...kinda weird..but ok

seriosuly though...it was ageis ago and everyone has forgotten about it..I didnt even watch the thing

Dead Space 2 is a good game, your only hurting yourself in not getting it (its cheap by now anyway)

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Vault101 said:
thats...kinda weird..but ok

seriosuly though...it was ageis ago and everyone has forgotten about it..I didnt even watch the thing

Dead Space 2 is a good game, your only hurting yourself in not getting it (its cheap by now anyway)
Yeah, I realize it's weird :). I have a very strange "moral" (I don't think moral is the correct word but I can't think of a better one) code that I feel I have to stand-by.

I've rallied on this board time and time again that the best way to get companies to realize you are unhappy is to not purchase their stuff. People complain that Diablo 3 has draconian DRM but they buy it anyway; while it probably made no difference I like to think that I stood my ground and made a difference.

Although now, maybe they have learned. EA has not come out with their insulting ads (see also Dante's Inferno for further reference) so maybe I will let myself count this as a win and pick it up once DS3 comes rolling around...

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
If a game tries too hard to sell itself with titties I wont buy it.
Just out of a general sense of `OK, not for me`.

I also wont buy anything if the advert is gross or mean-spirited.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Yeah, I realize it's weird :). I have a very strange "moral" (I don't think moral is the correct word but I can't think of a better one) code that I feel I have to stand-by.

I've rallied on this board time and time again that the best way to get companies to realize you are unhappy is to not purchase their stuff. People complain that Diablo 3 has draconian DRM but they buy it anyway; while it probably made no difference I like to think that I stood my ground and made a difference.

Although now, maybe they have learned. EA has not come out with their insulting ads (see also Dante's Inferno for further reference) so maybe I will let myself count this as a win and pick it up once DS3 comes rolling around...
I disagre

if its some personal thing you just cant get over then thats one thing

if your doing it as some way of "sending a messgae" then I'd say forget about it

did you watch jim quisitions latest video? he pretty much says what Ive more or less thourght..not buying their stuff (when you would have otherwise) is actually NOT the best way to send a message at all, because it simply does not work...

not only does it not send a message, it sends the WRONG message, if less people bough ME3 because of origin then EA reads that as "Mass effect didnt sell for some reason...."...PUT MOAR COD IN IT

they dont care if you dont buy their stuff...beacuse plenty of other people will. boycotts are useless because theres simply not enough unity, and people will put up with shit because they want their game (I know I will)

but complaining and giving them bad PR is what gets them to take notice

I dont think its the people who DIDNT buy diablo 3 that affected blizzard the mopst..I suspect its the people who did buy it, got screwed by the DRM and then went "hey blizzard! what the FUCK IS THIS!?" D3 was going to sell like hotcakes no matter how bad the DRM was, to draw attention to the bad DRM was the more effective thing

the only person your affecting negativly is yourself and the devs...I buy games from EA even if I hate then because I LIKE vicseral games and Bioware and will suport their games..even if ti helps EA..so be it

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Vault101 said:
...well dang. Alright everyone, screen-cap this everyone cause you're going to want to use it against me in future situations.

You're right and I'm wrong :)

I just watched the Jimquisition episode that you mentioned and while I do feel that boycotts have a certain place in gaming, you (and Jim as well) are correct that it would be smacking the developer for something the ad company/publisher did.

While I will not purchase it right away (I got myself a big stack of games for my shiny new PS3), I will go ahead and pick it up. Well done Vault101...well done indeed (and since tone is not in text, I feel like I have to put here that I'm not being sarcastic here).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
...well dang. Alright everyone, screen-cap this everyone cause you're going to want to use it against me in future situations.

You're right and I'm wrong :)

I just watched the Jimquisition episode that you mentioned and while I do feel that boycotts have a certain place in gaming, you (and Jim as well) are correct that it would be smacking the developer for something the ad company/publisher did.

While I will not purchase it right away (I got myself a big stack of games for my shiny new PS3), I will go ahead and pick it up. Well done Vault101...well done indeed (and since tone is not in text, I feel like I have to put here that I'm not being sarcastic here).
ugggh...no your not getting my point.I mean-

wait what?..

oh

ummmm.......this has never happned before...on the internet...ever....0_0

seriously though..Dead Space 2 is a cool game

EDIT: I don't mean to say you have to buy all the games...I didn't buy Diablo 3 because of the DRM in that it would actually have broken the game for me...but I didnt have all that much interest in the first place, I just ment I figure its better to get a game you want and suport the devs rather than go without for a cause that doesnt seem like it will work

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I decided, over ten years ago, that I was never going to shop for clothes at Old Navy because of their annoying commercials. And whenever a movie trailer proclaims 'Based on a True Story' it almost guarantees that I will never watch it.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
I'm not buying black ops II because of the Oliver North thing. Also, because it will have unbalanced multiplayer and a short campaign and still cost $60.

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
The Koodo phone commercials when they made up works like Tabtastic and bigbillification... Those made me resent Koodo ever since. I actually enjoy (most) of their new commercials with the luchador guy, but it's not enough to make me forget the old ads.

I recently bought a new phone (The Samsung Galaxy S3 actually...) and while I don't know if Koodo caries it, I walked past their booth at the mall with no intention of even looking at their services.