Poll: So I am thinking of learning a fighting style...

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
ZeLunarian said:
Tae kwon do is one I would say not to do...
Learning off and practicing tai chi sets is a good way to subsidize any martial arts. Or so I believe :p If you just wanna kick ass go for Krav maga. wushu would REALLY push you to your limits.
But personally, I'm a fan of Muay thai, and not kick boxing ;)
Haha, I notice everytime someone says DONT do one it is never Muay Thai.

There has been dont do judo, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, I even think one person said dont do Krav Maga unless you want to potentially die. :D

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Kinguendo said:
ZeLunarian said:
Tae kwon do is one I would say not to do...
Learning off and practicing tai chi sets is a good way to subsidize any martial arts. Or so I believe :p If you just wanna kick ass go for Krav maga. wushu would REALLY push you to your limits.
But personally, I'm a fan of Muay thai, and not kick boxing ;)
Haha, I notice everytime someone says DONT do one it is never Muay Thai.

There has been dont do judo, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, I even think one person said dont do Krav Maga unless you want to potentially die. :D
Muay thai isn't too hard to pick up. And has some of the FASTEST manuevers out there. With the fact that from most muay thai stances you generally have solid defence and manymany attack options.
Fastest knock-outs ive ever seen are from muay thai's elbow and knee strikes.. You dont get that in kickboxing ;)

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
ZeLunarian said:
Muay thai isn't too hard to pick up. And has some of the FASTEST manuevers out there. With the fact that from most muay thai stances you generally have solid defence and manymany attack options.
Fastest knock-outs ive ever seen are from muay thai's elbow and knee strikes.. You dont get that in kickboxing ;)
Yeah, I have started learning the basics of Muay Thai. I have the roundhouse kick down and the defensive foot jab as well as the elbow strikes but the standard knee strike is a pain to co-ordinate because you have to thrust with your hips at the same time as you strike with the knee to give it that unexpected range and power.

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Kinguendo said:
ZeLunarian said:
Yeah, I have started learning the basics of Muay Thai. I have the roundhouse kick down and the defensive foot jab as well as the elbow strikes but the standard knee strike is a pain to co-ordinate because you have to thrust with your hips at the same time as you strike with the knee to give it that unexpected range and power.
Growing up with a wresteling\taekwondo really makes me the WRONG build for thai.
But i have gotten the knee strick down enough to justify actually using it in a fight ^.^
When learning it. dont be afraid to break stance with your arms untill you're used to the shifting weight. In fact a kapo style swinging of the arms helped me.
Imagine it like throwing a heavy straight punch. How you start off with one shoulder away and thrust forward... Now replace shoulder with hip :p
Im pretty tall\heavy so i dont know if that's applicable to you.
Im more sagat than adon ;)

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
Gxas said:
Capoera, in my opinion.

It just looks like a blast.
Extremely hard to do right, though. Given the acrobatics.

OT: Dude, just pick the one you think you'd like to try the most. Piece of advice, though- don't go into it expecting to fight like someone out of a movie. Jumping around with high kicks would get your ass kicked in a real fight.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
ZeLunarian said:
Growing up with a wresteling\taekwondo really makes me the WRONG build for thai.
But i have gotten the knee strick down enough to justify actually using it in a fight ^.^
Imagine it like throwing a full power straight punch. How you start off with one shoulder away and thrust forward...
Im pretty tall\heavy so i dont know if that's applicable to you.
More sagat than adon ;)
Ah, I am more Adon than Sagat... tall with an athletic build.
Its harder than punching though becaue you only have to put one shoulder into that and you arent balancing on one foot at the time. :D

Thrusting out and back in at the end of the knee extension has to be perfecly timed or you throw the knee down and then it comes up when you pull back so you may end up hitting their hip... and with it heading down directionally I dont want somones hip to hit just under my knee cap. :O

But one thing I would never have thought of without Muay Thai training was stepping diagonally into but also past your opponent to strike with the elbow... I was thinking "WOAH! That is a hell of a lot more powerful than I had planned on it being.". :D

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Over the years I've trained in Krav Maga, Hap Ki Do, Jiu Jitsu, Kali and Escrima as well as Jeet Kune Do techniques, (There is no such thing as a Jeet Kune Do martial art, anyone who says so is either lying or trying to sell you something.) all of which are very effective both offensively and defensively. I think out of those that I mentioned, you might consider Hap Ki Do. HKD is a Korean martial art based on joint locks, strikes and pressure points, and there's some weapons training as you get more advanced, but as far as self defense goes, it's an excellent place to start.

In my opinion you're wasting your time learning Taekwon do, the movements are too big and it relys too much on kicking which is useless in a street fight, as they almost always end up on the ground. The choice however, is all yours ;)

Well my friend you seem to have the right attitude to be a martial/combat artist, as long as you aren't talking out of your ass to sound cool and you just want to learn to fight so you can beat people up. You aren't, are you?

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Undercover said:
Over the years I've trained in Krav Maga, Hap Ki Do, Jiu Jitsu, Kali and Escrima as well as Jeet Kune Do techniques, (There is no such thing as a Jeet Kune Do martial art, anyone who says so is either lying or trying to sell you something.) all of which are very effective both offensively and defensively. I think out of those that I mentioned, you might consider Hap Ki Do. HKD is a Korean martial art based on joint locks, strikes and pressure points, and there's some weapons training as you get more advanced, but as far as self defense goes, it's an excellent place to start.

In my opinion you're wasting your time learning Taekwon do, the movements are too big and it relys too much on kicking which is useless in a street fight, as they almost always end up on the ground. The choice however, is all yours ;)

Well my friend you seem to have the right attitude to be a martial/combat artist, as long as you aren't talking out of your ass to sound cool and you just want to learn to fight so you can beat people up. You aren't, are you?
I am not learning Tae Kwon Do so thats okay, I am learning Muay Thai.

And I wasnt aware that trying to avoid violence was seen as "cool", it certainly isnt by the a lot of people in my country. And no, I am a pacifist. I have never started a fight in my life and I dont see why I would start one now.

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Kinguendo said:
Undercover said:
Snipped for space
I am not learning Tae Kwon Do so thats okay, I am learning Muay Thai.

And I wasnt aware that trying to avoid violence was seen as "cool", it certainly isnt by the a lot of people in my country. And no, I am a pacifist. I have never started a fight in my life and I dont see why I would start one now.
I re-read my post and it did sound like I thought you were taking TKD, I just meant that as a general statement on my opinion of that particular martial art. It's awesome for competition, but not very practical.

And sadly yes, a lot of guys cop the "pacifist" attitude to try and look cool, when the truth is they can't wait to get into a fight, whether they start it or not. From the sounds of it though, you don't seem to fall into that category.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Undercover said:
I re-read my post and it did sound like I thought you were taking TKD, I just meant that as a general statement on my opinion of that particular martial art. It's awesome for competition, but not very practical.

And sadly yes, a lot of guys cop the "pacifist" attitude to try and look cool, when the truth is they can't wait to get into a fight, whether they start it or not. From the sounds of it though, you don't seem to fall into that category.
I am most certainly not one of those people... its awfully irrational to want to be hit and in a fight chances are that is going to happen. :D

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
If you dont have the years to spend on learning a fighting style, you could always carry a gun. They are easy to become proficient with, and i doubt that your average street hood is going to stick aroun long when you pull it out.

Now before you reply and tell me that it is difficult to get a permit for one in many countries around the world, I already know this. I was just mentioning it because I plan on going that route as soon as I hit 21.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Malyc said:
If you dont have the years to spend on learning a fighting style, you could always carry a gun. They are easy to become proficient with, and i doubt that your average street hood is going to stick aroun long when you pull it out.

Now before you reply and tell me that it is difficult to get a permit for one in many countries around the world, I already know this. I was just mentioning it because I plan on going that route as soon as I hit 21.
I live in Britain, and guns offer no excercise.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It all depends on the sensei.

Find a good place to learn near you, that's the most important thing. So visit some.

Cyberius

May 11, 2008
Gxas said:
Capoera, in my opinion.

It just looks like a blast.
Gather said:
The samba
I just want to throw this out there. You two are my new favorite people. I've been practice Capoeira for about eight months now and it is indeed a blast. Many people would have you believe that the Brazilian martial art is ineffective in a real fight. I've seen it used in a real fight.. It's incredibly effective and it looks so gosh darn pretty at that! Anyways, we also do samba in capoeira. That's why I quoted you as well Gather :p

EDIT: Also, for whoever made the crack about capoeira being like tying your arms behind your back, i've seen someone without a leg fight someone using capoeira. They kicked the shit out of them.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Well I would normally suggest Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu to young fighters looking for a style. However your not a young fighter... your not looking or wanting to fight. Though if your wanting sound self defence, Muay Thai, BJJ, Boxing, F.C.K and Krav Maga are definitely the way to go and I would recommend them. Though I get the feeling your not looking for Self-defence neither so I would probably suggest Teakwondo or Kung Fu for tricking and personal fitness.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Sovvolf said:
Well I would normally suggest Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu to young fighters looking for a style. However your not a young fighter... your not looking or wanting to fight. Though if your wanting sound self defence, Muay Thai, BJJ, Boxing, F.C.K and Krav Maga are definitely the way to go and I would recommend them. Though I get the feeling your not looking for Self-defence neither so I would probably suggest Teakwondo or Kung Fu for tricking and personal fitness.
I... I'm young... O_O

Since when was 20 not young? I mean yeah, I am not 10 but I think I could take a 10 year old who has been practising Muay Thai for a few years.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Kinguendo said:
Sovvolf said:
I... I'm young... O_O

Since when was 20 not young? I mean yeah, I am not 10 but I think I could take a 10 year old who has been practising Muay Thai for a few years.
I didn't mean young literally. I meant like, people who are getting into MA. I guess I should have used the words novice instead.