Poll: So I want to buy a Shooter...

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
I have found myself a little fortune of $500, and as the teenager that I am, I want to spend it. This is were the topic comes into play; I have always been an RPG fan, and now I'm branching out. After playing Halo 3 and Uncharted 3, I found the shooter genre to be enjoyable. I just never had the money to pay for other games, much less the online service (fuck you Xbox Live).

I've already decided to get Halo: Reach and the 2-in-1 deal for Uncharted 1 and 2, I just don't know what else I should get. The Kill Zone series looks good, but Battle Field 3 looks even better. I am thoroughly interested in the Modern Warfare series too, not to mention the Gears series.

The only problem with this is that I don't want to spend all of my money on games (shocking right?). So I am asking you, my fellow escapists, what shooter should I get and why?

Before I go, I will drop $50 for the Xbox Live thing and would prefer to find the games listed at bargin bins or Game Stop's.

Edit: So I have some bad news: my dad is using the $500 to open a checking account for me. So even though I won't be immediately buying games, I still would like to have some input into what would be the better game for me to get. Also, I'm not a part of the PC master race, at least until I graduate from laptop to desktop.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Can your PC handle Battlefield 3? If so, go for that. Why? Because this:

Seriously, that man's whole channel shows why exactly BF3 is bloody amazing.

For the console, I don't know, I haven't played a shooter on that since the unbalanced crap that was Modern Warfare 2. I'd like to try Killzone though, and I had my eye on Halo: Reach before my 360 died. You can safely ignore BF3 for the console, that's for sure.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Tribes: Ascend is an absolute blast. The weapons are fun to use, and jetpacking and skiing around is just so much fun. I have a hard time playing other shooters after picking this up.

Plus, it's free, so you really have nothing to lose.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Vanquish. Best shooter of this generation, IMO. Just keep in mind, if the stats say you're using cover for more than 5% of the game, you're doing it wrong.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Cowabungaa said:

For the console, I don't know, I haven't played a shooter on that since the unbalanced crap that was Modern Warfare 2. I'd like to try Killzone though, and I had my eye on Halo: Reach before my 360 died. You can safely ignore BF3 for the console, that's for sure.
Oh man, that almost made me install BF3 again.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If you can find it cheap enough then get COD4. If you can find a lobby that hasn't been hacked to shit then it's an absolute blast.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Vanquish, because cover based shooters are too slow.
hazabaza1 said:
Vanquish. Best shooter of this generation, IMO. Just keep in mind, if the stats say you're using cover for more than 5% of the game, you're doing it wrong.
This guy knows what he's talking about.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
You can't go wrong with Call of Duty 4. Aside from the absurd amount of hackers, it's still the best multiplayer shooter out there.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jynthor said:
Cowabungaa said:

I'm curious, what made you deïnstall it?

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I don't even have to tell you what I'm going to suggest just look at the avatar. MW3 isn't anywhere near the awesome level of COD4 it's a pitty all the lobbies are hacked. I'm really shit at Battlefield 3 so I couldn't recommend it I do like the campaign though. So I'd recommend Gears of War 3, I'd also recommend Metro 2033 the best £5 I ever spent on a game.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I'm biased, so Gears of War 3. Battlefield and MW do not have chainsaw bayonets, and are therefore inferior games.

On the other hand, Vanquish isn't that bad of an idea either!

TehCookie said:
hazabaza1 said:
So, /third'd. Well, Vanquish doesn't have a multiplayer, and it's story and voice acting are abysmal, but it's gameplay is pretty damn awesome.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
Jynthor said:
I'm curious, what made you deïnstall it?
Nothing special, just lost interest after a while. Also, I wasn't that good at it.

OT: If you have friends to play co-op with, all Gears of War games are a blast, however of what little I've played of Gears 3 online, it wasn't that much fun, matchmaking is broken and you'll end up fighting guys WAY above your skill level.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
TehCookie said:
hazabaza1 said:
Vanquish. Vanquish? Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish!

Vanquish, ok? Vanquish!

(It is the best current gen TPS)

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
skywolfblue said:
I'm biased, so Gears of War 3. Battlefield and MW do not have chainsaw bayonets, and are therefore inferior games.

On the other hand, Vanquish isn't that bad of an idea either!

TehCookie said:
hazabaza1 said:
So, /third'd. Well, Vanquish doesn't have a multiplayer, and it's story and voice acting are abysmal, but it's gameplay is pretty damn awesome.
I'll throw a fourth vote in for Vanquish. You can definitely find it in a bargain bin.

It's hard as hell, and I love that about it. The final boss took me about two hours (with some breaks in between deaths) on Hard. Then you unlock God Hard...

EDIT: Also, it allows you to pick between HD and SD text. I picked SD because HD text is almost always too small. I just think that was courteous of them to make that an option.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Painkiller. The best blend of modern graphics with old school shooter style. You can get it from either Steam or GOG. And you should be able to run it, It came out in 2004.

way2sl0w

Resident COD Fanboy
Jan 29, 2012
In terms of multiplayer:

1. MW3/Black Ops
2. BF3/BF2
3. TF2
4. Uncharted 3 or Gears of War 3
5. Red Orchestra 2

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cowabungaa said:

Makes me wish ea didn't fuck up the back end and make origin a requirement for it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Cowabungaa said:

oh, how people must HATE him.

i don't even like shooters and that was awesome.

edit:

:D i like that one better