Poll: So, Is the new MMORPG Star Wars: The old Republic wroth playing?

Jarrod Broadus

Dec 25, 2011
I have heard about this game from many friends of mine. They keep telling me to play it, however I don't want to be sucked into another crack addicting video game like World of Warcraft. What do you guys think?

GeneralSeasick

Feb 3, 2011
This game has the potential to kill WoW, same with GW2. So yes, it is. Great story, though graphics and gameplay can be clunky, also, if you're into Roleplaying from what i've seen this game has an awesome Roleplaying community.

Hisher

Sep 2, 2011
A lot of people including your friends are probably going to keep saying yes you should play and their reasoning may be the story is awesome which is true considering it is an MMO but when you are repeating the same instance/flashpoint to get better gear for the next instance the story is more of an annoyance than anything. So overall it is a solid MMO but if you don't want to get sucked into that sort of game then my answer is no.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I think its quite possibly the best MMORPG Ive played for pure gameplay and enjoyment purposes. The PVP is generally balanced with a few things standing out as possibly OP but only in certain circumstnaces. I cant speak of operations (TOR's version of raiding) so I cant say if its the best raiding MMO out there or not (for me the original everquest is still the best raiding MMO).

If you have no interest in hot key based MMOs then I would say avoid it because you will not enjoy it no matter how hard you try. However if you like them and you like star wars then definately give the game a look.

Then again if you dont want to get sucked into a new MMO it might be est not to play it because for everyone Ive talked to it did suck them in like no other MMO to date.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
Is it a good game? Yes.

Is it worth more than the price of a triple A game + the price of the monthly subscription? Fuck. No.

Rynozeros

I'm on a boat
May 13, 2009
It's a BioWare single player RPG with standard MMO elements (parties, raids, trade market, PVP etc) if that's a good or bad thing that's up-to you and your preferences.

Personally, I love it so far. Been bro-oping with a friend and we are having fun (inb4 fun is a buzzword).

I would recommend it if you have the cash to spare, a decent computer and the time.

mschreutelkamp

Sep 6, 2011
Oh, man, I would say it's surely worth the monthly fee, for what we know so far. we have not seen any of the Bioware updates/patches with content so time will tell on that. Just imagine, you get 8 classes with a kewl starting storyline to suck you in. The story just keeps coming as you level. That, for me, has made all the difference to WoW. The game is grind-tastic, as any MMO, but I notice much less as the story is good. Also, the companion system works well. You can solo a lot easier then in WoW.

Go on, mate, enjoy it!

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
It's held back by its trying too hard to emulate World of Warcraft, as well as by its stock Bioware influence. The "morality" system still boils down "be a blind paragon of justice, or a total asshole, or get penalized", for example; as usual from them, it's not about "What would I/this character do in this situation?", it's "Which decision gives me alignment points in whichever direction I'm going?". As such, even the few times light choices can be seen as the moral low ground, and the dark choices a necessary evil, you don't want to go against your alignment because it just slows the benefits being fully one or the other gives. It's been outdated since Knights of the Old Republic. The difficulty is also ridiculously inconsistent; one moment you're doing content that requires four people and slaughtering all in your path, and another you're getting absolutely destroyed by guys five levels lower than you.

It sounds like nitpicking, but all of the effort that's been made to make the game immersive just exaggerates what takes you out of it. For me it just became a pile of easily avoided annoyances that took me out of the experience. It has potential to be refined, and in its favor, it has just launched, but I've never been a Bioware fan, and all of the things I don't like about them pester me as much as ever here; I feel like they don't try as hard as they could because people will worship it anyway, and just rest on their laurels. It shows; this game could easily be mistaken for previous ones from them (the dialogue trees are lifted right from Mass Effect, for crying out loud), but now with length padding.

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
ReinWeisserRitter said:
It's held back by its trying too hard to emulate World of Warcraft, as well as by its stock Bioware influence. The "morality" system still boils down "be a blind paragon of justice, or a total asshole, or get penalized", for example; as usual from them, it's not about "What would I/this character do in this situation?", it's "Which decision gives me alignment points in whichever direction I'm going?". As such, even the few times light choices can be seen as the moral low ground, and the dark choices a necessary evil, you don't want to go against your alignment because it just slows the benefits being fully one or the other gives. It's been outdated since Knights of the Old Republic. The difficulty is also ridiculously inconsistent; one moment you're doing content that requires four people and slaughtering all in your path, and another you're getting absolutely destroyed by guys five levels lower than you.

It sounds like nitpicking, but all of the effort that's been made to make the game immersive just exaggerates what takes you out of it. For me it just became a pile of easily avoided annoyances that took me out of the experience. It has potential to be refined, and in its favor, it has just launched, but I've never been a Bioware fan, and all of the things I don't like about them pester me as much as ever here; I feel like they don't try as hard as they could because people will worship it anyway, and just rest on their laurels. It shows; this game could easily be mistaken for previous ones from them (the dialogue trees are lifted right from Mass Effect, for crying out loud), but now with length padding.
The ONLY benefit to being fully light/dark is access to the light/dark endgame gear. Otherwise, it's just to keep track of your character. Personally, I've been picking the option that suits me best and I'm still easily achieving light side points.

TO get right down to it, if you don't like BioWare, I wouldn't have expected you to like this anyway.

To the OP, I'll say to you this, that I said to all of my friends who were interested in this but had never played an MMO: Yes, it is a BioWare game, yes it is a Star Wars game, and yes it is well made. But if you do not like MMO's, you will not like this game. This is, first and foremost, an MMO and it should be played as one. Expecting KOTOR 3 going into this will net you a very disappointing game experience.

NordicWarrior

Aug 30, 2009
I've been playing since before the Dec. 20th launch and I am not very impressed. I don't understand how everyone says the story is so good. I am playing the Sith Inquisitor story and it is insanely boring.
I play on a PvE server, but it has some options for PVP. Those options aren't very good. One of the PvP games you can play is pretty much American Football. You get a ball and have to make it to the other teams base with it.
Other than that it is EXACTLY like other MMOs. Go kill x of y. Go fetch me a data pad.

One of the things that drives me crazy is that the Empire can't do ANYTHING for itself. Every quest starts with, "It's a good thing you came along. We need your help. We can't do this." It doesn't feel like a powerful empire that can rule the galaxy.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
It's a singleplayer game with other people wandering through it on occasion. Which is to say, yes.

As a singleplayer gamer, I find it infinitely more interesting than (say) the bland questing areas of WoW. So take that as you will.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I say maybe because I did pay for about a month of World of Warcraft and taking the same type of game but giving it a Knights overhaul sounds like a great idea. I just hate the idea of paying a monthly fee to play a single player game. Yes, I know it's an MMO and I always have the option to be social but that's not why I play games. When I do play multiplayer games though I strongly prefer to do so through one console and TV.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
It's a competently made game and if you like WoW then you'll find it very similar in gameplay. Very similar.

If you're looking for a typical Bioware single player RPG then go for it - you'll enjoy it.

However if you don't like highly linear themepark MMOs then avoid avoid avoid, because TOR is the themeparkiest themepark you will ever see.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
IzisviAziria said:
The ONLY benefit to being fully light/dark is access to the light/dark endgame gear.
As long as there's any benefit that isn't present in any other option, it's a flaw and a limitation, in my opinion.

With that said, some content that gives you the points is repeatable, so it's possible to "farm" them if you need to if you haven't been a good little stereotype, but my point is, well, you shouldn't need to.

IzisviAziria said:
TO get right down to it, if you don't like BioWare, I wouldn't have expected you to like this anyway.
A good game is good no matter who made it, and I give every game an opportunity to impress me. If the developer becomes a liability, we have a problem.

This game isn't bad, but it's more annoying than it has to be, and it's more annoying than it has to be because Bioware is more interested in putting the same things they put into every freaking game into an online game mold than they are adapting those things, or chucking them out the window when they don't work. This doesn't feel like Star Wars so much as "World of Warcraft as presented by Bioware, guest starring Star Wars".

I consider it a missed opportunity, is all.

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
ReinWeisserRitter said:
BioWare is continuing to make the products that got them to where they are. They got popular doing exactly what they did with this and it would be bad business to throw away something that has earned you a favorable reputation in the games industry.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's completely opinionated. But what you consider to be not working, loads of other people feel work just fine.

As far as it being "World of Warcraft as presented by BioWare", I think people seem to forget that MMO's existed before WoW. WoW was NOT an original concept. The gameplay was not original, the raids were not original, the game was not an original game. It just took various things from the existing MMO pool, improved upon a few of them, set them in an enticing universe, and cashed in on a huge existing fanbase.

Every MMO since WoW's release that hasn't tried some horrible new idea (Darkfall, for example) has been called a WoW clone. They're not WoW clones, they're MMO's that happen to share a lot of the generic MMO qualities that WoW does. The same goes here.

NordicWarrior

Aug 30, 2009
This doesn't feel like Star Wars so much as "World of Warcraft as presented by Bioware, guest starring Star Wars".

I found this really funny and pretty accurate. I never really played WoW but I have played LoTRO since launch and it's pretty much the same thing with a less interesting backstory.

WinkyTheGreat

Sep 6, 2008
It depends. I played in a testing weekend and it was fun. However, it wasn't so fun that I would be willing to pay a subscription fee. If it goes free to play, I will most certainly buy the game. Until then, I will not. Really it boils down to if you can afford to/ if you want to pay for the game.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it most certainly is top of the MMO tree, which makes it bottom of the barrel game wise.

I was obsessing over MMOs for years so I got alot of time wasting experience, and a single hour of the beta got all my spidey senses off the scale, every bullshit MMO compulsion mechanic is in this and they will be keeping you around to milk for a long long time.
If you have a problem getting sucked into games like this I suggest you stay the hell away.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
It's as grind-tastic as you could expect, boring, and frankly when compared to WoW... lacking polish. And unless you like that sort of thing, I can't recommend it

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
It's decent. It's shiny. It's got that Star Wars brand of melodrama. It's honestly nothing new. The only thing keeping it afloat is that fact that it's Star Wars. Also, the story missions things are pretty alright. At least there IS a story so that's a plus.

I would say it's alright but nowhere near good enough to justify such an expensive subscription.

If you wipe your ass with Benjamins then give it a shot and decide for yourself. Otherwise, not worth it.