Poll: So pc gamers . Do you still buy your pc games at retail stores?

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Unless it's a Steam-only game, or Steam's got some crazy-awesome deal going on for it, I prefer to buy the hard copy of the game.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
I can't get PC games here in retail, so no. I have no option other than importing (and waiting for two weeks to a month to get it) or Steam. Guess what wins.

MNRA

Jun 8, 2009
Yes oh-god yes I do.

As much as I do own steam I still (in a very Shamus Young-ian way) consider it to be the least evil of the DRM plague that is engulfing every kind of computerized gaming. I know it is the way of the future and I doubt that retail stands a snowballs chance in hell of surviving in 20 years, but I'll stick with my boxes until they turn into the vinyl records of the future :p

Uzi-Bazooka

Jul 6, 2011
I don't know if Amazon.com counts as a retail store, but most of the games I buy come from there and I buy them as physical copies. Sure, they usually connect to Steam anyway, but when I show off my collection of video games, I like to show off a stack of boxes, not a file folder. Plus, I'm the kind of loser who often still needs manuals.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
for games I want to buy, I usually go to EBGames, but for games I didnt know I wanted to buy (Thanks steam!) I go online... So many damn games I didnt know I'd play until I look on steam sales...

henkalv

Oct 31, 2011
mostly get my games through GG, but if that won´t work then I buy them in the locale retail shop.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Think about it this way. When Skyrim comes out at midnight, some people will be standing in lines at the stores, then buying the game, then driving home, then downloading it, then playing it. I will be clicking "Play", after already pre downloading it on steam.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I prefer physical copies over digital every time. The only times I buy off of steam are during sales of cheap games that require too much effort to find a physical copy for. I just prefer to have a sense of ownership over my purchased product, thus why I will always opt for physical copy first.

Luckily the EBs in my city are really good when it comes to PC games. They have a healthily stocked shelf of PC games, and since I'm one of their more loyal and well respected customers, I can ask em to order in a specific game if I want.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
chaosbedlam said:
the last game i bought from a retailer was batman arkham asylum collectors edition. i got it cos of the batarang inside, but was disappointed when i learnt that it was just a cheep plastic model. don't get me wrong i wasn't expecting a fully functional batarang but dam a nicely carved model made from pewter would have been nice! look at the CoD boys they got some dam night vision goggles! so any way now days i will strictly only purchass games online you know exactly what you are getting.

woops kinda went into a we rant there, sorry.
My friend got those goggles. They are plastic too.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
No, and not by choice. My EB Games stores do have a PC games wall but is miniscule at best, the PSP section is bigger.. Figure that one out. There might be 40ish games there but one full rack is World of Warcraft and it's expansions.

So Steam, Origin, GFWL, are pretty much the only places I buy PC games now.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Yes, because I like having the physical disc with me, in case I find myself without a connection due to moving around a lot. Doesn't mean I don't do digital download and all, but I prefer to buy from retail.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
rayen020 said:
"we are going to monitor everything your computer does even when our program is 'closed' and use it for whatever we want" clause.
Have you ever read Steam's TOS? I suggest you do. Then laugh about how sensationalist gaming journalism is.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
No, buying everything from Steam is way more efficient for me. I used to buy expansions to World of Warcraft as hard copies mainly to have a nice Warcraft collection my shelf but I've quit playing that game some time ago, so there's literlly no PC games I buy as hard copies anymore. Besides, I'd rather give my money to developers and a share to Valve than give the share to Gamestop.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Nope. I don't use digital distribution either, its shit. I get my games shipped from the U.K for $50 limited collectors edition with free shipping. Thankyou my British friends, you are truly wonderful :D

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Usually only older games for a bargain... new games tend to be pre-ordered online.

I do still require a physical copy whenever it's feasible, though.