Poll: So...Spunkgargleweewee. Does it need broader terming?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Souplex said:
If "Spunkgargleweewee" is a thing, then we also need a term for horribly dated shooters that refuse to take any ideas from the past 10 years for fear of alienating their elderly audience.
I propose we call them "TurdWaffles".
An example of each:
FPS: Halo.
SpunkGargleWeeWee: Call Of Duty.
TurdWaffles: Serious Sam
But Halo 4 doesn't have iron sights! Clearly it is a TurdWaffle!

...Or so I hear.
Hell, I vote we call Halo and its descedents (which includes CoD in its current form) turdwaffles, and call games like Serious Sam and other old style shooters "Fucking Awesome." Because they are.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
It should not be used at all because it is a stupid and insulting term that does nothing but play into people's ridiculous notion of superiority based on what video games they play.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
poiumty said:
Forced meme, stop using it.

Yahtzee should pull more decent-sounding names out of his ass if he wants them to be taken seriously.
I imagine the guy getting paid to talk probably has a better understanding of what he needs to do to get taken seriously.

Not that I think everyone should act like him, I just mean he's someone everyone knows, so he's obviously doing something correct.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
GunsmithKitten said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I like this . You guys say to not take Yahtzee seriously , but the when something happens it's his fault . Poor guy. Blame the fans , not the source. Especially of the source was not serious to begin with.
If it's any consolation, I view Jim "give up your religion, I am God" Sterling in an even worse light. Just that Croshaw seems to be more successful than Jimmy at the cult thing.
I'm not sure how, but you quoted the wrong person. Weird.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Is this really a thing that needs clarification? It's just some dumb toilet humor in a review.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
krazykidd said:
poiumty said:

Yahtzee should pull more decent-sounding names out of his ass if he wants them to be taken seriously.
Do you really think he planed for anyone to start using the term? Seriously? It's more than likely He made something up with a stupid name so that people don't start using it . Sure it backfired but it's not HIS fault .Kinda like spectacle fighter for games like bayonetta and DMC .
May I ask what issue you take with the term spectacle fighter? It is obvious that spunk gargle wee wee was a joke and a shot at modern military shooters, but I actually find spectacle fighter to be a descriptive, nonoffensive, and useful term. Some games are all about the spectacle of the combat just as some movies are, and I actually find his term for them to be useful.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Winthrop said:
krazykidd said:
poiumty said:

Do you really think he planed for anyone to start using the term? Seriously? It's more than likely He made something up with a stupid name so that people don't start using it . Sure it backfired but it's not HIS fault .Kinda like spectacle fighter for games like bayonetta and DMC .
May I ask what issue you take with the term spectacle fighter? It is obvious that spunk gargle wee wee was a joke and a shot at modern military shooters, but I actually find spectacle fighter to be a descriptive, nonoffensive, and useful term. Some games are all about the spectacle of the combat just as some movies are, and I actually find his term for them to be useful.
No issue , just using it as an example . Spectacle fighter is no a real genre , just something that Yahtzee made up ( like spunkgargleweewee). Sure it makes more sense than SGWW, but it's not a thing .

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
I'm certain it's going to blow over eventually. Sort of like "Spectacle Fighters". Never heard that catch on and be used today, Yahtzee will forget about it, and so will the parrots.

Though I think it's stupid, It would be nice if it was broadened a bit until the term can go die in a ditch and never be looked at again goes away. Remembering correctly it was for "Realistic Shooters" so COD, GOW, all those things (as far as I'm concerned Halo belongs too but whatever) are classified as it.

Note: Even IF he DID mean it seriously, It was only because people kept saying he doesn't like shooters.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
I don't think it's quite fair to call Halo a spunkgargleweewee: it uses the full color spectrum, has open arenas for combat, doesn't REQUIRE the use of cover, and has varied enemies.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
King Billi said:
This term does not need further definition it was a joke in a video.

I saw it, I laughed at the time but I seriously hope this doesn't catch on... I mean do you really?
Well, his term Spectacle Fighter kinda stuck... though that was less of a joke, it fit much better with the type of games he attributed it to. (Bayonetta, Bulletstorm, Madworld...)

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
HeWhoFightsBosses said:
King Billi said:
This term does not need further definition it was a joke in a video.

I saw it, I laughed at the time but I seriously hope this doesn't catch on... I mean do you really?
Well, his term Spectacle Fighter kinda stuck... though that was less of a joke, it fit much better with the type of games he attributed it to. (Bayonetta, Bulletstorm, Madworld...)
Well that's the crucial difference isn't it. "Spectacle Fighter" is at least somewhat descriptive of the kind of games it's referring to and is not just a stupid insult designed to denigrate something one dosen't like.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Well, thus far it has been used to describe games that copy the Call of Duty model of corridor shooter with pretensions towards realism. I see no conflict in definition that implies the need for a rewrite.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Winthrop said:
[May I ask what issue you take with the term spectacle fighter? It is obvious that spunk gargle wee wee was a joke and a shot at modern military shooters, but I actually find spectacle fighter to be a descriptive, nonoffensive, and useful term. Some games are all about the spectacle of the combat just as some movies are, and I actually find his term for them to be useful.
I have to assume that when you refer to the spectacle shooter you mean call of duty and those that emulate it. Of course, there is a fundamental problem with this franchise. For starters, it doesn't really seem like it wants me to actually participate. Huge sequences of Call of Duty are scripted and many that are not require no interaction from the player. Indeed, the most the franchise has ever asked is that I move to the next star on the map though modern iterations replace that star and map system with a cursor over a head.

Beyond that, the problem is that the participation the game does allow me is cursory at best. No maneuver is necessary. No clever plan. Just left-trigger, right-trigger, right stick forward until victory is assured. Thus my problem with the "spectacle shooter" is clear - the game everything in it's power to make my participation cursory.