Poll:So the new spider man is half black, half hispanic ,what do you think escapist.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Forgive the second posting but I wanted to extend my opinion. I read the article on IGN along with some of the comments. A popular topic within the topic is that this new spiderman was created simply for the sake of diversity and for that alone. If that is true then I have to agree that that is a weak move for the creators.

There are many ethnic characters in the Marvel Universe. They just don't make them relevant enough. For example, I thought it was pretty cool that Luke Cage was prominent and was caught up in the initial events of Civil War and Secret Invasion. I thought, "Hey this pretty cool because I haven't seen him for a while." That's the problem; Cage hasn't been used that much before those events. The same goes for Falcon and Ororo/Storm.

I know Falcon appeared a few times with Captain America in Civil War but where the heck was Storm? Even the X-Men who tried to stay out of the Civil War events made prominent appearances that impacted the plot. Yet, Storm was in Africa being wooed by the Panther. She was basically sidelined, just like Luke and Falcon pre-Civil War. I know Falcon is an Avenger but he's hardly around.

Marvel, and I guess Disney now, should start using the benched characters more, regardless of race. Where is Ghost Rider? Where is Firestar? Where is Gambit (he's ethnic)? Where is X-23? Where is my all-time favorite Psylocke? (A British telepath possessing the body of a Chinese assassin, that is what you call a diverse character) Also, if they want to diversify the cast, they should be properly creative and create new characters. Start them off as a supporting character and a major character's story then spin them off. Television does this and movies do this as well. Jump on the band wagon.

Here's another idea: Retire Peter Parker or some other major character instead of killing them. Don't get rid of him but keep him around as the old guy who gives advice to a new and upcoming character. Peter can come out every now and again to punch someone to let people know he's still capable but let him have the quiet life with Mary Jane that they always wanted and let his responsibility fall onto someone else's shoulders.

Get rid of Norman Osbourne too. Tired of seeing that guy. He's practically the Lex Luther of the Marvel universe.

*sigh* gotta stop typing these long posts. Short and concise is the name of the game.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I'm fine with it, Its the Ultimate universe, they are allowed to do what they want with it and get a little weird. Peter is still alive in regular continuity, they can replace him however they want in ultimate.

Rorigon

Apr 14, 2011
Psychotic-ishSOB said:
This is why I don't read comics: they kill off the main character and KEEP GOING. The series should die as well.
This. They remind me of soap operas.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
It's probably all ready been said but if there is a good storyline for it then that's fine. If it's just to be more "PC" then it's stupid.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
My question is, beside if this whole reboot is nothing but a bet to see how many ethnicities the can Jam into this new-aged Politically correct spider-man( I get the casting whoever if they're a good actor and it fits but this just feels like its trying to hard). Is why are the rebooting the franchise anyways? Can we give it a few years?

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I think it is a good thing, and I think Spider-Man should have been black for a while now. But it seems like transparent pandering, and especially weird since Gwen and Aunt May will still be around to give advice... Because everyone knows if you're a teenage minority you need an old white person to teach you what to do.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
rockavitch said:
It's probably all ready been said but if there is a good storyline for it then that's fine. If it's just to be more "PC" then it's stupid.
Based on the comments by Axel Alonso, it's almost entirely the latter.

Anyway, I find the whole idea of superheroes having multiple identities to be quite silly, really. Either kill off the character or don't. Spiderman is Peter Parker, and nobody else. Anyone else is a merely a fake spiderman, an imitation.

willingdruid

Nov 18, 2009
I have never understood the fascination with comic books and superheroes, especially with people over the age of 10. One must be very desperate for complete and utter escapism if they fantasize about being some flying übermensch that sports homoerotic tights

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I don't take issue with anything racial, but i honestly don't really like that Spiderman is ever anyone other than Peter Parker (and yeah, i know it has been done before). There are some Superheroes i see working as a "Title" (Batman, Flash, Captain America, Green Lantern of course, Superman if the explanation is good enough) and others as "Person" (Hulk, every X-Men Character) and Spiderman is one of the latter for me. I admit it's really just a personal taste thing.
So Miles Morales fails for me mostly by not being Peter Parker.

If it would've been a "title" hero that used to be a white guy and gets replaced by someone of a different "race", i'd probably be okay, but from what i read here, with the Chinese Jew-Girlfriend and all, it really sounds like they are just playing a massive "Look how diverse and tolerant we are" card....

AwesomeSuperMelon

May 12, 2010
It really doesn't matter as long as he doesn't become a stereotype. Neither good or bad. What will make it good or bad is how they decide to characterize him.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Granted, I know nothing about the Ultimate universe, but why come up with this new character when you could instead adapt Miguel O'Hara into a more modern setting? Now THAT would be more interesting than this apparent hodgepodge of all things diverse.

What, is Irish+Mexican descent not "diverse" enough?

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
In addition to what i said above: Why are the big companies so reluctant to create new heroes nowadays?

True, big names and big money are in play, and i'm aware that both DC and Marvel have a whole, awkward backlog of failed heroes.

But honestly, wouldn't it be much greater if a dead Spiderman would've been replaced by a entirely new hero who has to proof himself as a worthy successor. One that, in universe, would've been compared to Spidey, but at least IRL, would be seen as an entirely original character? And one where you don't have to come up with a convoluted reason why "the new guy"-Spidey has similar powers and (probably) personality traits?

I really liked the first volumes of "Runaways" for that reason. They could be tied to other Marvel Characters, but they could also be thier own, and entirely original when it comes to character, powers and even outside circumstances.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
He could do with a neck that doesn't resemble a toothpick, but otherwise I don't really care.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
When I read the thread title I was all like "Peter Parker is BLACK?????" but after reading it, it is literally a "new" spiderman, so i can't really judge yet. I'm indifferent.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I don't think it is the ethnicity what bothers people. I think it was the fact that they killed off the last guy in the first place. Or the gimmicky way the character was introduced.