Poll: So, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Stavros Dimou said:
# Not so good graphics.
Oh I don't know about that. The character models are pretty stiff and the facial animation is shit, but the environments are still pretty damn good looking today especially modded up and the games got some crazy good lighting effects even compared to most new stuff coming out today. I'd say overall the STALKER games are still pretty good looking really. Maybe not 'next gen' but for an engine that came out in 2007 it holds up well.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
The Madman said:
Stavros Dimou said:
# Not so good graphics.
Oh I don't know about that. The character models are pretty stiff and the facial animation is shit, but the environments are still pretty damn good looking today especially modded up and the games got some crazy good lighting effects even compared to most new stuff coming out today. I'd say overall the STALKER games are still pretty good looking really. Maybe not 'next gen' but for an engine that came out in 2007 it holds up well.
Sure,in comparison to let's say games from xbox360 or ps3 its graphics are good,but when it came out,people compared it with Crysis that came on the same time.
It's lighting is indeed quite good actually.
The games where of the first to use dx10 (clear sky) and dx11(call of pripyat) when they came out.
But the models and textures are kinda not so good in this day and age.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I would indeed recommend the STALKER series. The STALKER experience remains one of my favourite in gaming and nothing since has been able to match it. Be prepared for some bugs and glitching as well as some general awkwardness with the controls, though I feel the awkward controls improve it just like how some people liked the awful camera and controls in resident evil.

Call of Pripyat is probably the best but the others can be good too. Clear sky is said to be the weakest and I Would agree but I still play it the most due to a mod overhaul that turns it into a total sandbox. I'd recommend starting with either Call of Pripyat or Shadow of Chernobyl and downloading the STALKER complete mod, it doesn't change the core game or narrative, it's pretty much the vanilla game but cleaned up with less bugs and some minor improvements to animations and models.

If you enjoy the games then you can try some of the other mods though be warned that some increase an already difficult game to incredibly difficult like the most recent Pripyat mod I have been playing which is aptly named "Misery".

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Get the first and third, skip the second. Install Stalker Complete for Shadow Of Chernobyl and Misery 2.0 for Pripyat. SOC will be your lesson and Call of Pripyat+Misery 2.0 will be the test.

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
I've played SoC and CS and I liked them both. Liked the addition of upgrading and repairing in CS but money also seemed much more scarce, perhaps because you now had things to spend it on. As they say vanilla they are both very buggy but it usually doesn't do much harm. But for some reason CS seems to be really taxing on my graphics card. Pushes it past 100°c in minutes. So I have stopped playing it until I get that sorted out.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013
I've only played the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and that was way back in 2008. But I still remember it was a tremendously awesome experience. I've always meant to play the two sequels, so I'm glad this thread has revealed that GOG now has them. I love me some GOG, I love me some S.T.A.L.K.E.R., so it looks like it's time to spend some money...

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
A 90%+ yay rate pretty much speaks for itself. Whatever problems and issues there are with the STALKER game series (most of which can be mod-fixed) there is no doubt that you should play them.

I would honestly say that they give you a unique playing experience that cannot be paralleled with any other - and that in and of itself makes it powerful. The atmosphere it creates though is the keystone of the game. You can complain about various things with it but the atmosphere of perpetual fear and dread and so well done that I cannot compare it with anything else.

In short. PLAY IT. PLAY IT NAOOOOO!

The only negative I have to say is about the endings of the games - after everything that went before I must admit to being disappointed with the way the games ended. Maybe that's just me though - I tend to think that the ending part of any game should be the most awesome and enjoyable and atmospheric to play through. It's possible that I was just desensitised by then though and wasn't in quite the right frame of mind.

Ml33tninja

Sep 27, 2013
If you do buy them add a graphics mod for each before playing to get the most out of your vanilla experience. After one playthrough branch(for each game) out to see what the game changing mods have to offer. For SoC STALKER SOUP and ZOA are very ambitious. As for CoP I would say MISERY 1.0 (2.0 has some issues TBH) for a very tougher experience.
What else can I say? If you are looking for series that has a great modding community and plenty of people to ask questions(plus the game themselves can be an engrossing time) look no further.