Poll: So, what do you dislike Electronic Arts the MOST for?

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
Dislike what they did with Maxis, Pandemic and Bullfrog. They made some great games back in the day, but succumbed to suits obsessed with greed. I fear that DICE may have the same future.

Jan 13, 2012
They could be a little bit nicer to their customers and devs, just saying......

Also, they force multiplayer on every game under their belt.

May 28, 2009
All of the above. Just everything they have done lately has annoyed me, and to top it off they are getting away with it.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I don't hate them at all.

They continue to pump out some of the best games in the industry. Their worst offense on the list for me would be overpriced DLC. Of course I feel this is a problem with all developers/publishers and not restricted solely to EA.

- Day 1 DLC is good business and makes sense. People want access to additional content early or right away. Not weeks or months after release. DLC is a means for these companies to earn extra money without further raising the base cost of new games. I say bring it on but at a more reasonable rate. Paying 1/6th the total cost of 60 hr game for 1 hr of content is gouging IMO.

- Origin looks at your computer for marketing reasons. This also makes sense. Why wouldn't I want my game company to know what I like? It's not like Origin is a system or resource hog.

- I can't say I know the whole story when it comes to treatment of customers. I do know that they've banned people for breaching forum conduct on their website which is something I can totally get behind. There are a lot of jerks on forums who deserve more than just a slap on the wrist forum suspension that won't in any way modify their behavior.

- I also read about banning single player campaign cheaters. I don't agree or get this practice at all. I'm sure it's against the EULA and EA has every right to do this. But the practice itself is for the players enjoyment of the game. If you don't want PC gamers to cheat in the game externally, than you should enable a clear command console to give us the freedom to play around. Why should the company care if someone is using an infinite credits code to take some of the grind out of their single player games?

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
babinro said:

They continue to pump out some of the best games in the industry. Their worst offense on the list for me would be overpriced DLC. Of course I feel this is a problem with all developers/publishers and not restricted solely to EA.
Interesting.You don't consider taking talented studios, and burning them to the ground an offence?

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
The Origin Spyware thing.

Why yes, I am not over it yet and won't be for the next millenium or so.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Not sure about "hate" but I blame EA pushing the incomplete ME3 out on people. And for making countless sports games that are pretty much the same thing over and over. And yet, people will still rush out and buy them... *SIGH*

Jun 11, 2008
I really hate EA for making their better games good and then fucking them up somehow like battlelog. In fact, I want to talk about that for a minute. It is probably on of the most detailed and easy to use server browsers I have used ever but it is in my browser and not my game. That and I need to use it just to play singleplayer. I'm sorry but that doesn't fly with me and I won't be getting another BF game until the feature is removed from a browser like the wart it is.

Jun 11, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
SoMuchSpace said:
babinro said:

Interesting.You don't consider taking talented studios, and burning them to the ground an offence?
More than half of the companies on the list of "EA destroyed these guys" still exist.

They're just part of BioWare now. Around seven or eight individual companies that all report to BioWare Studios for RPG and MMO development.
That is kinda people's problem with them and their cannibalistic nature towards studios. They abuse the brand loyalty then absorb them into another studio.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Ehh, I don't actually dislike Electronic Arts so much. I have a lot more disdain for Activision and Microsoft Game Studios. Maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't get all this hate. I've played games from them and really enjoyed them. They have some very high standards for quality and detail and their games have been a joy to play. All of my favorite 007 games are from Electronic Arts and they have even brought FancyPants Adventures into the mainstream. But, I can say that Origin is simply awful.

I see that one of the options for Hate is "Day 1 DLC". If you have issues with that, then, clearly, you haven't got a clue as to how game production works. They don't still have people working on the game the day before it gets released. The game needs to be finished weeks, maybe even a month or two before it gets released. It has to go under final beta-testing, packaging, manufacturing, shipping, processing... All that real-world stuff. During which time the developers can still work on stuff that can be added later, but in which there isn't any time left to put it in the game.

So, again, if you throw hate for Day 1 DLC, you have no idea how videogame development even works. Even if the game is only distributed digitally, there's still the process of beta-testing and getting it all loaded up onto Steam, Origin, GoG or whatever.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
SoMuchSpace said:
babinro said:

Correct, otherwise I'd have pointed that out in my post. I consider that a reality of the world we live in.

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
babinro said:
SoMuchSpace said:
babinro said:

Correct, otherwise I'd have pointed that out in my post. I consider that a reality of the world we live in.
Okay.Guess everyone has a different take on it.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
There's nothing you can point at that EA does and say, "that's wrong". EA's a business. The problem with EA is that they're short term. They buy up a company or a francise and then they burn it out really fast, making a small profit but squandering that item. If they really wanted to make bank they would use all of their money and resources to make their games really, really good fucking great, a step beyond what other companies can do. They should (have) too. Because if they made fucking great games they wouldn't be making the immediate profit that they make right now but they would bring in a lot of long term fans, instead of losing them. In the long run they would get the loyalty that great game makers get and they'd be bringing in more $$$. But no, EA is content in nothing that isn't short term, so they rush games, abuse fans and ultimately fail (at good business).

Oh and they've been running my favorite companies into the ground for years but that's just a side effect of the above.

Pretty much everything they do "wrong" is linked to EA being a short term company.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Ranorak said:
Ugh, can we all please stop using the word Hate for Dislike.

It really devalues the word Hate.
I doubt anyone here really HATES EA, unless it took away their first born or something.
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate EA since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for EA at this micro-instant. For John Riccitiello. Hate. Hate.

Just had to. Curse them for squandering Pandemic. No more SW Battlefront 3...