Poll: So Who's Backed Star Citizen?

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
I'm just curious about how many people here have backed Star Citizen. I love the space sim genre, and had to jump at this since I loved playing Wing Commander and Freelancer. If you haven't heard of it, well here you go as opposed to me trying to explain things poorly. http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Also, thoughts on it?

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Goals do seem quite lofty, but honestly if it's just an updated Freelancer and Wing Commander without hitting any of those I'm still in. When reading through what he plans I tend to see them more as "nice if that happens." If he actually delivers on all of those, well I'll be beyond impressed. I'm really interested at the Oculus Rift support though.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
I ran across the kickstarter in it's last 14 hours or so.

I'm happy with it's success and I patiently await for the Hangar to come out over the summer.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I supported the Kickstarter campaign about halfway through its run. I'm really looking forward to this but am also cautiously optimistic as it is a very ambitious project. If they can pull this off and keep true to their vision, then I will forever be glad that they did their part to revitalize the space sim genre.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I was so tempted to give money, but the release date was like late 2014, and I thought I'd just wait and buy it then when it explodes onto the scene, rather than spend 2 years in annoyed impatient anticipation.

It looks freaking amazing though!

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Being an EVE fan and seeing this game as a different but yet still inferior version of it I am not interested in donating. I'll probably never play it. I remember at first i was excited but than i read about the game and i realized "meh, not for me".

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
generals3 said:
Being an EVE fan and seeing this game as a different but yet still inferior version of it I am not interested in donating. I'll probably never play it. I remember at first i was excited but than i read about the game and i realized "meh, not for me".
Not really like EVE. They're two different play styles and have two different focuses. EVE is all about the business end and does not use actual twitch combat, while this has the single player mission aspects of Wing Commander and having a large multiplayer persistent universe on top of it with all twitch combat. Just because they're both in space doesn't make them similar. I understand the "not for me" as many games just aren't for certain people, but I just wanted to clarify that they are quite different :)

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Xangba said:
Not really like EVE. They're two different play styles and have two different focuses. EVE is all about the business end and does not use actual twitch combat, while this has the single player mission aspects of Wing Commander and having a large multiplayer persistent universe on top of it with all twitch combat. Just because they're both in space doesn't make them similar. I understand the "not for me" as many games just aren't for certain people, but I just wanted to clarify that they are quite different :)
Oh but i'm fully aware it is different. But the way i see it Star Citizen will be a spaceship MMO with a Single Player gimmick. Not being at all interested in SP gimmicks in MMO's I think that as a Spaceship MMO EVE will be better.

I would also like to add that from a marketing point of view Star Citizen will be a flop. When i read the game description in the FAQ i fail to properly identify the game. Is it an MMO? Is it not? Which may lead to many potential costumers not properly judging the game by putting it in the wrong category. There is nothing wrong with hybrid game play but even hybrids have a primary and secondary focus and in Star Citizen i fail to see what is the primary game play and secondary (is it an SP game with an MMO gimmick or vice versa? How is it supposed to be played?). I decided to judge it as an MMO, but maybe i'm wrong... hard to tell.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I'm not a fan of the whole Kickstarter thing. I've been against Pre-orders for years now, and KickStarter for games is like Pre-Orders dialed to 11. Not only do you not know if the game will be any good, you don't even know if it will be made.

That said, when/if Star Citizen does come out, I'll probably buy it.

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Krantos said:
I'm not a fan of the whole Kickstarter thing. I've been against Pre-orders for years now, and KickStarter for games is like Pre-Orders dialed to 11. Not only do you not know if the game will be any good, you don't even know if it will be made.

That said, when/if Star Citizen does come out, I'll probably buy it.
Yeah I usually am pretty wary of it from people without a real history, but this is the guy who has already made several good space games which is enough to convince me. If it turns out to not be good I'll definitely be disappointed, but anything can happen, good or bad. As the Mythbusters say, failure is always an option.