Poll: So you're trick-or-treating and...morality!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
SonOfMethuselah said:
Also, what are you talking about, heated SUV? In my day, we walked to trick-or-treat! And, generally, by the end of October, it's getting pretty chilly up here, so layers under our costumes were a must.

As for your bonus, I don't recall what I was dressed as at ten. I think I had a bleeding skull mask and a black robe, but don't quote me on that. That was a decade ago, and the details are fuzzy.
Our trick-or-treating was a bit of a logistics exercise to hit up as many uppity neighborhoods as possible on the way to my grand aunt's house. We trick-or-treated with our after school program until around six, then got picked up and continued trick-or-treating in neighborhoods known for being generous with candy.

My alien mask was one of those bleeding ones (except green, obviously) that you pump by hand.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Dags90 said:
SonOfMethuselah said:
Also, what are you talking about, heated SUV? In my day, we walked to trick-or-treat! And, generally, by the end of October, it's getting pretty chilly up here, so layers under our costumes were a must.

As for your bonus, I don't recall what I was dressed as at ten. I think I had a bleeding skull mask and a black robe, but don't quote me on that. That was a decade ago, and the details are fuzzy.
Our trick-or-treating was a bit of a logistics exercise to hit up as many uppity neighborhoods as possible on the way to my grand aunt's house. We trick-or-treated with our after school program until around six, then got picked up and continued trick-or-treating in neighborhoods known for being generous with candy.

My alien mask was one of those bleeding ones (except green, obviously) that you pump by hand.
Ahh, I see. That's infinitely more acceptable than just getting driven around for the sake of being driven around. It would also lead to a huge amount of candy. Slightly jealous.

And yeah, that was my skull mask! The pump looked like a heart, and I had it sort of half-hidden in my sleeve. Made one poor old lady up the street jump about a foot in the air when I squeezed it and the blood started to flow. Probably helped that I turned the word 'treat' into a scream of pain when I did it. I got scolded for it later, but I for the life of me, I couldn't understand why: that was my 'trick.'

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
I wouldn't take an entire handful, but I would take more that one. Cause I'm not a part of this system. Then I would throw the rest of the bowl on the ground.

My favorite costume was the ninja that I was one year.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
SonOfMethuselah said:
And yeah, that was my skull mask! The pump looked like a heart, and I had it sort of half-hidden in my sleeve. Made one poor old lady up the street jump about a foot in the air when I squeezed it and the blood started to flow. Probably helped that I turned the word 'treat' into a scream of pain when I did it. I got scolded for it later, but I for the life of me, I couldn't understand why: that was my 'trick.'
I think my brother actually had the red skull version that year, so I probably know exactly what you're talking about. I think they first came out around the new millennium.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
NightmareWarden said:
Take a small handful. I've seen people leave a bowel of candy on a chair on the lawn on the lap of a costume. Someone tries to grab the whole bowel? SURPRISE, the costume was really an adult who just scared the crap out of you. May come with squirt guns. If I were to do this, I'd use silly string.
Is it even possible to grab someones entire bowel? That's messed up dude.

Dr.A

Jun 3, 2010
I sucked as a kid no matter how much I tried to hide it, so I'd take a handful or two, trying to cherry-pick all the good stuff.

And I'm pretty sure I was a ghost for a few years in a row, so odds are I as a ghost.

Or maybe I was a ghost when I was like, 12, and I was that weird looking butterfly when I was 10. They had butterflies back then, right?

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
At 10 I think I might have been wearing a Starfleet uniform and I would have taken 2 or 3. I answered fistful but I wouldn't make it a lot. Just like one more than one more than I was supposed to right?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I didn't go trick-or-treating on Halloween. ;_;

If I had, I would have dressed as a dinosaur, and taken two pieces of candy.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Where's the poll option for none? I was a pretty good kid at 10, but beyond that I had also heard a lot of ghost stories and was the nervous type. I'd have left the bowl with its suspicious looking note and got the beejesus out of there.

I seem to remember being dressed as a cat the last time I went trick or treating, which would've been around that age.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Stasisesque said:
Where's the poll option for none? I was a pretty good kid at 10, but beyond that I had also heard a lot of ghost stories and was the nervous type. I'd have left the bowl with its suspicious looking note and got the beejesus out of there.

I seem to remember being dressed as a cat the last time I went trick or treating, which would've been around that age.
Added. There's nothing really suspicious about bowls with notes though, they're relatively common place. People know they'll be out, possibly with their child trick-or-treating, and leave a bowl out for others.
lacktheknack said:
What kind of dinosaur?

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Well, over here we have something else than trick or treating.. and its usually money, I used to be awesome at it, nettet around 100bucks a year.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dags90 said:
lacktheknack said:
What kind of dinosaur?
A purple one!

I remember seeing a purple "generic bipedal dinosaur" costume in a clothes store and managed to beg Mom into buying it. Didn't go trick-or-treating with it, though. I think it was a sort of T-Rex crossed with a box of crayons.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
lacktheknack said:
A purple one!

I remember seeing a purple "generic bipedal dinosaur" costume in a clothes store and managed to beg Mom into buying it. Didn't go trick-or-treating with it, though. I think it was a sort of T-Rex crossed with a box of crayons.
I'm guessing Barney never crossed the border to the north? Is this the dinosaur you saw?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dags90 said:
lacktheknack said:
A purple one!

I'm guessing Barney never crossed the border to the north? Is this the dinosaur you saw?
Oh, we have Barney. The annoying twerp gets everywhere.

But no, my costume was more generic and less fat. :p

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
None really.

I lived out in the country all my childhood, so I never did any trick or treating. My parents usually took my brother and I to the store and said to get a couple of assorted bags of candy that we wanted, and that was what we got for Halloween.

I only remember one actual time I went trick or treating. We went down to visit my grandpa at the time, and we went out there because he actually live near lots of people. Though, I don't ever remember getting a choice; the people at the doors usually doled out the candy in the right amounts they saw fit.

Being 27, I'd feel kind of weird trick or treating now.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Dags90 said:
Stasisesque said:

Added. There's nothing really suspicious about bowls with notes though, they're relatively common place. People know they'll be out, possibly with their child trick-or-treating, and leave a bowl out for others.
Yeah I've seen it happen in movies. I think if it were the case here though, most kids would treat it suspiciously. Or some teenagers would've come along and stolen the entire bowl (and then probably the owner's car) first.

London is a happy place full of wonder. :(

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
Well, there's two kinds of handfuls. Do you mean take a couple extra, as in four or five instead of one? Or do you mean as much as I can damn fit in my hand (I have large hands, long fingers). I might do the former, but the latter seems excessive.