Poll: Solve a simple math problem

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Lukeje said:
You've made the assumption that infinity-infinity = 0...
A number minus itself is 0. The point of the equation was to show that treating infinity as a number yeilds invalid results.

Apr 14, 2011
Sikratua said:
GoodGodItsAnOxymoron said:
Redingold said:
If you meant for that divide sign to be a multiplication, it's sixteen. Otherwise, it's undefined.

EDIT: Wait a second, you snuck a minus sign in there, making it fourteen.
The * sign means multiply, plus why would it be 14?? anything multiplied by 0 equals 0
Basic math rule. Unless there are parentheses, all multiplication and division is done BEFORE any addition or subtraction. The absence of parentheses meas that the last part, being 1*0, is done before the rest of the problem. So, the end of the problem is now +0.
Haha, Fair Play!

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
jamesmax said:
madwarper said:
jamesmax said:
madwarper said:
jamesmax said:
its 1 i dont know how so many got it rong
No, it's not. And, I'm not sure how you got it, and spelled the word, Wrong.
dam claim down
Ummm... What?
also ya i forgot BEDMAS so nvm on the 1 thing I think its 15 now
That answer is still wrong. The correct answer is 14.
how so?

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1*0=?

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 10

10-1 = 9

9+1+1+1+1+1=14

1*0 = 1

14+1 = 15
WHAT?!?!?!

1*0=0....

ANYTHING*0 equals zero!

On a side note, the answer is 14 people, and everyone that answered 0 needs to be taken out back and beat with a rust axe!

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
well if you use the proper mathematics of bidmas (Brackets, Indices, division, multiplication, addition and subtraction) it would answer 4.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
the.gill123 said:
well if you use the proper mathematics of bidmas (Brackets, Indices, division, multiplication, addition and subtraction) it would answer 4.
No, if you did it incorrectly, one the of answers you may get is 4.

The one correct answer, which you would arrive at IF you actually did it properly, is 14.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
Lukeje said:
You've made the assumption that infinity-infinity = 0...
A number minus itself is 0. The point of the equation was to show that treating infinity as a number yeilds invalid results.
Only if you define it as such. The set could be equally well defined with
infinity - infinity = infinity.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
ok here goes:
the - in the middle splits the sum up, the * at the end splits it up again so what this sium looks like, if you knew how to do maths, is (1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)-(1+1+1+1+1+1)+(1*0)=4

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
the.gill123 said:
ok here goes:
the - in the middle splits the sum up, the * at the end splits it up again so what this sium looks like, if you knew how to do maths, is (1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)-(1+1+1+1+1+1)+(1*0)=4
Wrong.
THERE. ARE. NO. BRACKETS.

If you MUST add brackets, then it's (1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(-1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)*0
The equation is NOT (1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)*0

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Lukeje said:
Only if you define it as such. The field could be equally well defined with
infinity - infinity = infinity.
A number minus itself not being 0 is inconsistent with basic arithmetic. You could just as easily define 3 - 3 = 3, but it simply doesn?t make sense within the system of math that we use.

?infinity ? infinity = infinity? only works if you accept that you?re not going to treat infinity as a number.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
the.gill123 said:
What most people don't understand is it is:
brackets
indices
division/multiplication
addition/subtraction

If they weren't paired up like that then you could have the same sums equalling different things depending on how you arranged them.

Is this killing any maths students a little inside seeing people misunderstanding basic addition? :(

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
madwarper said:
the.gill123 said:
ok here goes:
Wrong.
THERE. ARE. NO. BRACKETS.

If you MUST add brackets, then it's (1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(-1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)*0
The equation is NOT (1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)+(-1)*0
I KNOW THERE AREN'T! but thats how simple mathematics works, i have spent 3 years doing shitty overly complicated sums at uni, if it is to add up to 14, the sum needs rearanging so that it ends 1-1+1*0. this is because things are added before subtracted, and multiplied before added, so you work out the multiplication, then add up the first 10 1's then the 6 1's so simplified it looks like this 10-6+0 its not hard!

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
the.gill123 said:
but thats how simple mathematics works,
No, it's not.
i have spent 3 years doing shitty overly complicated sums at uni,
Which just proves that modern universities are just overly expansive daycare.
if it is to add up to 14, the sum needs rearanging so that it ends 1-1+1*0. this is because things are added before subtracted, and multiplied before added, so you work out the multiplication, then add up the first 10 1's then the 6 1's so simplified it looks like this 10-6+0 its not hard!
Your understanding of math if wrong; Read the Order of Operations [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations].

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
Midgeamoo said:
the.gill123 said:
What most people don't understand is it is:
brackets
indices
division/multiplication
addition/subtraction

If they weren't paired up like that then you could have the same sums equalling different things depending on how you arranged them.

Is this killing any maths students a little inside seeing people misunderstanding basic addition? :(
thats my point, you DO have diffrent answers depending on how a sum is written, i was taught it in primary school, again its basic mathematic principles

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
the.gill123 said:
Midgeamoo said:
thats my point, you DO have diffrent answers depending on how a sum is written, i was taught it in primary school, again its basic mathematic principles
a) You completely missed Midgeamoo's point.
b) The point you are making is wrong.

[4 + 2 - 3] is the SAME as [4 - 3 + 2]. Shifting around the -3 and +2 does NOT offer different results.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Like I said in the last thread that did this, it doesn't prove anything about intelligence. It's designed to trick you.

It's all about attention to detail.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
madwarper said:
the.gill123 said:
Midgeamoo said:
a) You completely missed Midgeamoo's point.
b) The point you are making is wrong.

[4 + 2 - 3] is the SAME as [4 - 3 + 2]. Shifting around the -3 and +2 does NOT offer different results.
not on short answers, but 8+4-2+3 will give a diffrent answer to 8+4+3-2 because you work out the addition, 8+4 and 2+3 and subtract them, thats how it works, you block groups of numbers together that have not been broken up by a diffrent mathematical symbol. thats why typing 8+4-2+3 into a simple calculator will give a diffrent answer to a proper scientific one.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Tdc2182 said:
Like I said in the last thread that did this, it doesn't prove anything about intelligence. It's designed to trick you.

It's all about attention to detail.
That would be true if people were just getting it wrong because they missed the -1.

The order of operations, however, is not a trick. It's basic math. People are getting it wrong because they flat-out do not know basic arithmetic, and are arguing about it because self-esteem based education has left them thinking that any answer they give is right as long as *they* feel that it's right.