Poll: Sony Pulls Out of the Console Race

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
If Sony drops out and the rumors about no more used games for Microsoft turn out to be true...............

Well, it's been a good, long ride videogames...but it might be time for me to call it quits.

P1112Aigaion

Feb 5, 2012
I have both systems and i can tell you it whouldnt change a god damn thing if one dropped out or the other because EVERYTHING IS MULTIPLATFORM NOW!

pwned123456

Feb 4, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
eyepatchdreams said:
Nintendo and Microsoft did not invent half the things you give them credit for.... just saying.
While I don't doubt that motion controls existed somewhere before Nintendo, they took it to a new level and put on something that could appeal to the mass market. Obviously they didn't invent the idea, but they brought it to a level never seen before. Sony, on the other hand, basically just took what Nintendo did, changed it enough to not infringe on copyright, then sold their own version of it. Heck, at least when Microsoft jumped on that bandwagon, they did it with a completely different take on the idea of motion controls.

And while I'm aware that many games had their own built-in achievement system before the 360, Microsoft brought it to another level and made it into a system where achievements from across multiple games could be pooled into a single whole. Granted that some developers have better ideas of what to do with this system than others do (I've seen games where, literally, all 1000 points can be earned by just beating the game), but it's an interesting new system, and I don't doubt that they're working on how to expand upon it for the next console. Sony, meanwhile, basically just took the achievement system, changed it to trophies, and called it a day.

In other words, there's a difference between innovation and invention. Likewise, there's a fine line between innovating on something, and just plain copying it. Microsoft and Nintendo have both been innovating ideas in ways that expand the gaming medium, Sony mostly just copies them to try and keep up. This needs to change if Sony plans to stay in the race.
am i seriously the only one who remembers the motion controls on the ps2 sony created it for consoles (basing this off that from my experiance it was the first working motion cotrol system) nintendo altered the system to have a controller and to be more refined nintendo did create motion control it just didnt work till the wii
source: my own experiance and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EyeToy

pwned123456

Feb 4, 2011
TehCookie said:
I'm curious if there is a way to tell how many unique customers sales each got. The 360 sold a lot more but I seem to find a lot of comments like this.
Wayneguard said:
I swore, after my 3rd rrod xbox, that I would never again buy another piece of microsoft hardware.
I wonder if you didn't include people replacing consoles if the 360 would still beat the PS3.

If Sony pulled out it would be terrible. Sony may fail at trends, but that weakness is also it's greatest strength. Since they don't rely on what's popular their consoles have a long lifetime. For people who aren't interested in what's popular they have a much more diverse library, even if it does take time to build it up. I think the companies we have now are a great balance and if any dropped out it would be bad.
if you could take out the multiple purchases playstation would win hands(currently they have similar amounts sold) down because based off what ive heard (which to be fair isnt that much) most people who prefer xbox have had more than 1 360 wich just goes to show faulty hardware means more proffit

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
jboking said:
There has been a lot of rumors circulating about one of the big three console companies dropping out of the console race next generation. Nintendo has already announced that it will be making the Wii U, and MS has been slowly leaking information about their next console. This leaves sony as the one who is, at this point, most likely to pull out. I could personally see this happening because, as far as lifetime sales go, Sony is in third.

This leaves just Nintendo and Microsoft in the race. Concerning that we all known Nintendo is in a secluded little league of their own, that leaves Microsoft to handle the hardcore video game market next generation.

So...How bad do you think that could turn out? I've heard this sort of thing referred to as the "one console future" before. You may ask, how could this possibly be bad? Its easy, with just Microsoft holding onto the hardcore market, they can begin to charge whatever they want for their products. In this situation, their is no major alternative for console gamers but to pay whatever price Microsoft sets. Essentially, without competition, Microsoft would be able to do whatever they want.

I would like to think that MS wouldn't do something bad with its power once it had the monopoly, but history would tell me otherwise.

Edit: Probably worth saying at this point that I understand it is unlikely that Sony would pull out. think of this as a thought exercise. What would you do if it were to come true?
Sony is BARELY in third place and for most of the time it has been in third place it has also been selling huge numbers of both Playstation 2 consoles and Playstation 2 games.

I don't think Nintendo and Microsoft are REALLY competing with each other by the games that come out on each they are targeting very different demographics. Even with the same games, Wii is more an improved extension of the 6th gen era Gamecube at similarly low price + cost of motion-sensing controls. Just like new Playstation 2 consoles and games continue to sell.

I'd also consider the role of PC in a Microsoft-dominant, Sony-absent generation. Valve is monumentally profitable, EA is moving into PC with force using Origin, also OnLive, this is a lucrative market ripe for exploitation in hundreds of millions rather than just tens of millions.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
atleast it would settle the "which is better" argument

RJ 17 said:
If Sony drops out and the rumors about no more used games for Microsoft turn out to be true...............

Well, it's been a good, long ride videogames...but it might be time for me to call it quits.
oh man i forgot about that, if those do turn out to be true... well i guess i could go into table top wargamming

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
People planning to buy the next gen Xbox should consider buying a more powerful device better suited for the hardcore gamer, like an iPad perhaps.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Zelcor said:
Point is don't let the PS3 sales fool you it's doing QUITE WELL in fact IMO the console leader right now
Not to mention that probably more than half of those 66 million 360s sold are probably people's 3rd or 4th time buying one, lol.

I know my little brother bought 3, all of which died, before turning to the Playstation master race.

DISCLAIMER: PS Master Race is not to be confused with the PC master race, and only applies to the console crowd.

MrGseff

Jun 10, 2009
Even though I have moved from consoles to PC I find having one primary console format would be great. No more would people have to fork out a large sum of money on a console and then realise they picked the losing side with inferior hardware or lack of exclusives. If there was one platform then most games would simply be released on that platform, the idea of 'console wars' would be gone as Nintendo would focus on casual markets whilst 'gamers' could have the simple choice of buying a new console or having a PC.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
You need competition. It encourages innovation and it stops extortionate prices, so no Sony leaving the console race would be a bad idea. It needs to be more than a two horse race.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
To everyone thinking it will be the end of console gaming. Please stop overacting. It will not be the end of anything. Sooner or later another console would take Sony place. Hell it happens all the time. A console dies, it gets replace. That is how xbox came to be anyways.

Hell it was Nintendo and Sony for a while and it seem to be just fine back then. So please, it won't be the end. Besides it just means most of the developers would be with xbox for a while. If sony pulls out it will be due to how poorly they handle everything. If you can't keep up with the customers then perhaps you should go out.

Anyways that my take on it. Hate me if you want but nothing will change at all. Some brand new console will jump in after sony hits the dust (Though not sure if this is true or not but from the way Sony is going it seem like it.) Will it suck? Perhaps but I don't think it will be Microsoft to be blame here. It will be the dev for making pretty lame games.

strangemoose

Aug 29, 2009
although i am a devout 360/occasional pc gamer (mostly just SC2 and TF2) i still would be upset if the PS3 dropped out of the market, the market needs the diversity of at least 2 hardcore systems, with only the 360 i feel like the xbox market would just become massively over saturated with shity games

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
omicron1 said:
Microsoft has earned my eternal enmity.
I love people like you. Because you make me look up these words unknown to me, therefore expanding my vocabulary. *Hugs* Today I learned what "enmity" means.

OT: Well, not much of an opinion here. I have an XBox and a Wii. My brother has a PS3, but it stopped working (something about some metal pins in it melting).

Yeah...I personally don't look at the system. I look at whether or not it'll entertain me.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I doubt that Sony would pull out. They make so many products, that why would they not keep a console, especially one that is stronger and hardware wise more reliable usually, when they can use it to sell their other types of products

If Sony dropped out, MS would be total dicks, and would probably have lots of gamers going to PC since they hate used games and wouldn't be willing to buy out Sony's franchises or technology

Azure9

Sep 19, 2010
I have mixed feelings about this one. On one hand I always wanted to see Sony die a violent death because of the fact they were the main culprit for Dreamcast's murder and the Japanese were A- holes during the 90s and early 2000s as far as releaseing games over here. On the over hand having just one hardcore console with no competition would mean they can perform as many unethical practices as they please such as overpricing certain things.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Azure9 said:
I have mixed feelings about this one. On one hand I always wanted to see Sony die a violent death because of the fact they were the main culprit for Dreamcast's murder and the Japanese were A- holes during the 90s and early 2000s as far as releaseing games over here. On the over hand having just one hardcore console with no competition would mean they can perform as many unethical practices as they please such as overpricing certain things.
Though haven't we all learn by now that there probably a company waiting to get on the console market. I mean hell how many consoles have died and new one replace it? MS will be stupid to overprice stuff when they still got nintendo and possible anyone new wanting to get on the action if Sony kicks the bucket. Which is why I view everyone saying "OMG DEATH OF CONSOLE IF SNOY DIES!" pretty stupid. Though just my opinion lol.

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
If Sony pulls out of the console race you can expect a gaming crash a few years after. People will start to lose interest in video games with all these motion control and tablet gimmicks. In the end it may come down to a few good games, CoD clones, and kiddy games. In addition Microsoft is an American company so they will continue to treat all their costumers terribly.

Thank God for PC.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Only if it allowes to release Killzone on the 360, otherwise i would be indiffirent about it.