Poll: Sound of Silence...Which Version is Better?

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
The original has a wonderful subtletly to it that the cover lacks. There's a feeling to it that really suits the lyrics, the softness of their voices at the start and a nice strength to it at just the right moments. Like he starts quiet *volume-wise* in the cover but his voice lacks a sort of quiet quality that their voices did at the start. And the escalation felt far too quick to me. The angry tone while not bad also lacked a cool sort of subtlet that their tone has. Also prefer the duet over a singular voice.

So didn't dislike it, but it lacks points about the original that make it amazing to me

Edit: also didn't realize how much I liked this song to comment on this. Usually don't comment on music stuff

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
While I like both, I prefer the original. When it comes to a cover that I prefer over the original though, I think this one is the best example:

Dio can't hit the high notes but that's the only nit I have to pick about this version of the song.

Teshi

May 8, 2010
The cover is fine for what it is, but it doesn't hold a candle to the S&G versions. The lyrics ask for a more subdued arrangement with a touch of irony. Also, I think the song-long crescendo in the cover suffers in comparison to one of Simon and Garfunkle's other famous songs, Bridge Over Troubled Water, which did the same thing much more adroitly.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
I'm gonna let you in on a secret, most of the douchey macho white trash dudes I know listen to FFDP and Disturbed and not Lamb of God. They're just a metal band, and their shows always draw in a diverse crowd of people. I've (sadly) had to see FFDP and Disturbed in concert and their crowds were filled with the macho douchey dudes.
I mean, if we are just gonna throw anecdotes back and forth I have seen Disturbed twice and the crowds were great. I haven't seen LoG live because I don't enjoy walking the thin line between mosh pit and brawl that dominates death metal shows, but my experience with LoG fans (or LoG-ers as I call them) has been that if you say the name of a band they don't like three times they appear from nowhere and call you a f***** like some kind of astoundingly nonthreatening version of candyman.