Poll: Spiderman 2099 v. Batman Beyond

BuddyLeaf

Dec 2, 2013
Both are really interesting takes on the future. The new setting, the new themes, the new main characters and the new villains are all awesome!
My initial question was going to be which would you rather be a game but I soon remembered shattered dimensions kind of counts. While I would REALLY love a batman beyond game like the arkham series, I changed my question:

Which series would you like you see make a transition to the big screen? (As a bonus, who would you want to see casted :)?)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Are you kidding? There are people who want Kevin Conroy to play Old Bruce LIVE.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Really?!

He's got the best Batman voice for sure, but the dude is rather emaciated in real life.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Seeing how Spider-man 2099 has only appear via games and in comicbook, definitely Batman Beyond/ of hte Future! That series was awesome! (Yes I know they did a couple of Batman Beyong comics but seeing how Spider-man 2099 appear on the screen, I have no idea if he is any good or not.)

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Batman Beyond. I did read quite a few of the 2099 books but they haven't really aged well. I enjoyed X-Men 2099 more, probably due to more new characters and the eventual team leader starts out weak and timid but gradually becomes badass.

It was an interesting reversal how Miguel O'Hara was a wiseass while out of costume and the strong silent type behind the mask, but aside from that it was just Spider-Man again in a more oppressively grimdark setting where Alchemax controls everything (in fact I recall as early as book 11, Miguel joked about how someone getting weird powers from an Alchemax experiment gone wrong had become cliched). I preferred Bruce and Terry's dynamic, and even that version of Gotham didn't seem too dark compared to New York in 2099, no worse off than original Gotham really.

Nowadays the main thing people seem to remember about Spidey 2099 as evidenced by the game Edge of Time is the use of 'Shock' as a profanity substitute. Guess that's why they never had an updated version of the Shocker for 2099...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
FalloutJack said:
Really?!

He's got the best Batman voice for sure, but the dude is rather emaciated in real life.

What's your point? Old Bruce isn't looking too good himself.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Casual Shinji said:
FalloutJack said:
Really?!

What's your point? Old Bruce isn't looking too good himself.
I think his point is that "old batman" in the cartoon, still looks like a retired linebacker, who can toss thugs around if need be, which he does once or twice. Kevin Conroy is a very thin guy, who doesn't look like he's ever done weights (do you even lift bro?) in his life. Of course, if the show goes the angle of just having him look that thin and frail, ok fine, but knowing how entertainment industry works, they will probably want to have some scene where he shows "Yeah, I've still got it", and kicks a little ass. Which I doubt would be very believable for Kevin. Also, I'm not sure if he's actually anything other than a voice actor? The fact that he's got a good voice, doesn't mean he could sell the other aspects of acting (physical acting, mannerisms, etc) that would be required in a live action show.

As for my personal choice, I would probably have to go with Spiderman 2099, simply because I like Spidey more than Batman personally.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Oh give me Batman, hands down. I'll even pre-order tickets if it's a live action Return of the Joker.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Happyninja42 said:
I have no idea if he does more than voice-acting. You make some points, but I stand by my decision.
That's fine, but I would point to the fact that the image of "old Batman" you linked to show him being in bad shape, still looks like a pretty tough old badass xD Now I've seen footage of Kevin, and he just doesn't convey the appearance of "retired badass". Now granted, special effects can do wonderful things these days.

Now, discounting Kevin as live old Batman, who else would you people like to see play him? I would say like Sean Connery or maybe Anthony Hopkins, but they've got very distinct accents, which might seem odd for a Gothamite like Bruce. What actors do you think could pull off the job and carry the gravitas needed for the role?

Mar 26, 2008
Spiderman 2099. Batman has never really grabbed me as a character and I'd like to see more of Miguel O'Hara outside of the short-run of comics and video games that hardly anyone played.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
While it would be interesting to see Spider-Man 2099, I think the premise of a corporate-run dystopia is a bit played out...that didn't really stop zombies continuing to happen of course...but yeah, another vote for Batman Beyond with a no-name as Terry MacGinnis...or however his name is spelled.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
As much as I like Batman beyond, it's a story mold I'm rather played out on right now. I'd get very bored at yet another old master / young apprentice storyline.

Spider-Man 2099, while it has great potential to be preachy, I always liked the character arc he went through: spoiled kid given everything literally falls from figurative ivory tower, sees how shitty the lower half lives because of people like him, and vows to take the fight to those making it shitty. The original comics derailed badly into soap opera antics and a desperate attempt to boost sales with his own version of venom (not to mention getting dragged into all the shit in Doom 2009), but brought to its core, has a good story to tell.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
I was always big fan of the marvel 2099 imprint. Yes, all of it. I'm a nineties kid, I grew up on back issues of 2099 and Spawn as I got older. So close to completing my collection.

Don't look at me like that...

A few years ago, after Spider-Man 3 came out, I thought about the possibility of Spider-Man 2099 being brought to film. So much so I actually started working on a script for the kind of Spider-Man 2099 film I would want to see. I think I still have it somewhere.

Then Marvel Studios came and changed the super-hero movie forever with their unified movie-verse. Could the same thing be done with 2099? Depending on where the movie rights sit for Spider-Man and X-Men 2099, it's very possible. How awesome would a movie adaptation of the Fall of the Hammer be? Spider-Man teams up with Doom and the rest of the gang to take down fake Asgardians created by Alchemax on a flying city shaped like Thor's Hammer! Or maybe One Nation Under Doom? With some minor tweaks, the sky's the limit. Imagine a Blade Runner meets Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Hulk 2099 movie or Death Wish in the future for Punisher 2099. Admittedly, Ravage would need a lot of work before hitting theaters.

You could even create new characters while you're at it. I remember hearing Jackie Chan wanted to play Iron Man a while back? Let's make that happen.

On the other hand, a Batman Beyond trilogy with Blight as the main villain would be the easier task. An adaptation of several episodes rewritten together would probably be all you really need to make some really good movies. The episode with Mr. Freeze is a must. That Batman exo-suit too, maybe in the final movie at the climax.

Harrison Ford as Bruce Wayne?

BuddyLeaf

Dec 2, 2013
Tautology said:
I was always big fan of the marvel 2099 imprint. Yes, all of it. I'm a nineties kid, I grew up on back issues of 2099 and Spawn as I got older. So close to completing my collection.

Don't look at me like that...

A few years ago, after Spider-Man 3 came out, I thought about the possibility of Spider-Man 2099 being brought to film. So much so I actually started working on a script for the kind of Spider-Man 2099 film I would want to see. I think I still have it somewhere.

Then Marvel Studios came and changed the super-hero movie forever with their unified movie-verse. Could the same thing be done with 2099? Depending on where the movie rights sit for Spider-Man and X-Men 2099, it's very possible. How awesome would a movie adaptation of the Fall of the Hammer be? Spider-Man teams up with Doom and the rest of the gang to take down fake Asgardians created by Alchemax on a flying city shaped like Thor's Hammer! Or maybe One Nation Under Doom? With some minor tweaks, the sky's the limit. Imagine a Blade Runner meets Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Hulk 2099 movie or Death Wish in the future for Punisher 2099. Admittedly, Ravage would need a lot of work before hitting theaters.

You could even create new characters while you're at it. I remember hearing Jackie Chan wanted to play Iron Man a while back? Let's make that happen.

On the other hand, a Batman Beyond trilogy with Blight as the main villain would be the easier task. An adaptation of several episodes rewritten together would probably be all you really need to make some really good movies. The episode with Mr. Freeze is a must. That Batman exo-suit too, maybe in the final movie at the climax.

Harrison Ford as Bruce Wayne?
This. Everything about this sounds like GOLD. I almost forgot about the xmen 2099 damn!!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Here's the problem, Spider-Man 2099 is awesome in concept and design, but I know very little about him to really make me connect beyond that.

Batman Beyond is fucking AMAZING.

BUT

Spider-Man 2099 would inevitably be part of the MCU and handle magnificently by Marvel, turning him into yet another amazing character that I DO actually care about.

DC/WB is grossly incompetent when it comes to handling DC comics or movies. They're great at cartoons, TV shows, and video games, but I just KNOW they'd fuck it all up and piss me off if they made a Batman Beyond movie.

So I vote Spider-Man 2099.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
BuddyLeaf said:
Tautology said:
cut for length
This. Everything about this sounds like GOLD. I almost forgot about the xmen 2099 damn!!
If you think what little I've said about my idea is great, you'll probably geek out to the extreme if I detailed my comprehensive plans for just the Spider-Man portion of a 2099 film franchise. Let's just say that for one film I lifted a few characters from the Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time video games and came up with a pretty cool story about Alchemax applying Miguel O'Hara's work on gene-imprinting to finally create the ultimate "corporate raider."
Another idea is a very loose adaptation of Spider-Man 2099 issues 32 and 33, the debut of Strange 2099. Rather than fight zombies, the pair team up to battle two new villains you've never seen in the 2099 universe before! I should stop there. Can't be giving everything away!

While we're on the subject of Spider-Man, I have my own ideas on how Marvel can seamlessly work Peter Parker into the MCU. If you're a fan of the old Amazing Spider-Man comics like I am, it would get you excited. I'm sure Kevin Feige, the nerd I know he is, has his own plans for Spidey. But put me in a room with him to talk ideas, I'll bet I put his jaw firmly on ground.
I admit my plans might be too big though! One movie to introduce Spider-Man to the MCU. If that does well, maybe a prequel series starting with a new and improved origin story and culminating in a Sinister 6 movie! The new origin story was written to simply get the taste of The Amazing Spider-Man movie out of my figurative mouth. It is a bit convoluted to explain but it would make a lot of sense if you saw it on the big screen.

If only I had 5 minutes with the guys at Marvel Studios...

Going on to Batman Beyond and my trilogy idea. I'd gladly pitch that to Warner Bros. and write at least the first drafts for all 3 scripts. The bones are all there, just to need to assemble them.

Maybe I have too much spare time on my hands?