Poll: Splitscreen versus online

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Struck21 said:
The PS3 can handle eight controllers and hardly any games coming out anymore even have splitscreen. I love playing games with friends in the room drinking a beer and shooting the shite, makes gaming more enjoyable.
I'd like to see a game that supports 8 controllers, that would be insane if done right. it's probably in case all 4 players have headsets.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
GeorgW said:
Splitscreen is always better, but online is more convenient. So if possible, split. You just can't beat beating someone after beating you. BEAT! Also, if I'm playing with my girlfriend, it's kinda hard to grab her boobs if we're playing online...
Exactly.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Online, hands down. My best friend is now quite a distance away so split-screen doesn't exactly work for us. Even when it did, we'd prefer to use multiple machines and televisions anyways.

ExplosivePerson

Dec 6, 2010
Splitscreen lets you play with friends and family for cheap, and online lets you play with your mates without needing a get together, as well as more than 4 people. Each has their niche.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Splitscreen or LAN. Multiplayer is always better when the people you are playing with are there with you, and the game doesn't rely on an unreliable series of connections. The competition always feels greater when we get together in the same room too.

LAN-ing NWN or Diablo 2 over laptops is a sure way to have an awesome evening in :p

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Local Multiplayer was so much more fun, though some games require a good PC and internet connection. Gotta love punching whoever just Blue Shelled you.

Tasachan

Jan 28, 2010
It depends, I usually like splitscreen because it costs less (and I usually play with my husband anyway), but I think I wouldn't mind online. However most of my friends don't have a PS3 (I don't have a lot of friends), or aren't online, or are playing different games when I come on.

Now that I've gotten into Steam/L4D2, I like playing with my online friends a lot, but I always worry what my voice sounds like on the mic...

Nigh Invulnerable said:
Local Multiplayer was so much more fun, though some games require a good PC and internet connection. Gotta love punching whoever just Blue Shelled you.
Mario Party always got violent in my house...

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
loc978 said:
LAN. Multiple desktop computers. The only console games worth playing multiplayer anymore are fighting games or co-op classic action... and you don't need a split screen for that.
This, and direct WAN (inet) connections from player to player. I don't care about playing online anymore with lots of random people. Games with one or a few personal friends are the way to go. I do find splitscreen intersting too though - in the past, i disliked it because screenspace would be cramped, but that isn't so much an issue anymore with large widescreen screens.

Oct 2, 2010
When the opportunity presents itself, splitscreen/LAN is vastly superior to online play. There's no substitute for direct human interaction.

Oh yeah, it's also lag-free. Wooo!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Splitscreen requires/encourages real socialization and if you act like a dick you get punched.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Splitscreen by a country mile. It isn't even a question. Online doesn't even begin to compare to it. It's like watching a movie with a whole bunch of friends vs being the only one in the entire movie theatre, with someone occasionally peeking in the door to hurl profanities at you.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
left 4 dead is brilliant 4 player system link split screen, much better than online.

I would say I prefer playing with friends, so either system link or online full team/game full of friends.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Depends on the game and if it's done right. I hate splitscreen for a lot of shooters and racers, but then there's some like Halo and CoD that does it properly. Warhawk did a good job, but I feel Resistance didn't do a good job of splitscreen (the online, however, is amazing (1 and 2 but mainly R2)). So it all depends on how it's done.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Online only because my friends normally don't play the same games as me.

I like both, though. More games need splitscreen as an option.

Aug 17, 2010
Depends if it's Co-Op or Competitive.

If it is Co-Op, then I would like the option that gurantees the least amount of time between me saying "SHOOT THAT FUCKER" and my bro saying "ALL RIGHT!"

If it's competetive I would prefer online, as to eliminate screen-watching, and the always damning "ability to hear what your doing at all times" mechanic.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Lyx said:
loc978 said:
LAN. Multiple desktop computers. The only console games worth playing multiplayer anymore are fighting games or co-op classic action... and you don't need a split screen for that.
This, and direct WAN (inet) connections from player to player. I don't care about playing online anymore with lots of random people. Games with one or a few personal friends are the way to go. I do find splitscreen intersting too though - in the past, i disliked it because screenspace would be cramped, but that isn't so much an issue anymore with large widescreen screens.
Pretty much this. I remember playing LAN sessions of Diablo 2 at work (PC tech support... no one ever seems to have computer issues in the summer). Lot's of fun. I refuse to play on battlenet.