Poll: SPOILERS Dead Space 2 has gone too far.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

you have been warned.

basically, im playing thorugh Dead Space 2 now, im about 3 hours through, and i'm shooting babies. i've already shot about 60 children no older than 12, but im now walking thorugh a nursery, listening to crying children and shooting mutated babies, which explode.

fuck MW2's airport scene, fuck Medal of Honours Taliban, this strikes me as over the line. had i known in advance there was this sort of content i would probably not have bought it.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
It amazes me that contemporary audiences can still get offended by things like this. It amazes me even more that said easily offended audience would even consider such a product. You don't even have to have done your research to know it would involve something horrific. Aside from that 18 rating, surely you must've known what the original was about. And that the original involved shooting new born babies as well, called Lurkers.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Good for you.

I thought the exploding babies were hilarious.
Indeed.
Going through a nursery killing monster babies took away a lot of the scare for me just because of how amusing I found it.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Its a game, and its brutal, I dont think it went too far. Only way for this game to go too far is if someone started having sex with the necromorphs, but thats just my opinion.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Gralian said:
It amazes me that contemporary audiences can still get offended by things like this. It amazes me even more that said easily offended audience would even consider such a product. You don't even have to have done your research to know it would involve something horrific. Aside from that 18 rating, surely you must've known what the original was about. And that the original involved shooting new born babies as well, called Lurkers.
firstly i was unaware they were babies, :-[ not that i suppose that is a reason, but to answer your main point

" It amazes me even more that said easily offended audience would even consider such a product. You don't even have to have done your research to know it would involve something horrific. Aside from that 18 rating, surely you must've known what the original was about. "

hang on, so not wanting to walk thorugh a nursery shooting babies makes me a weak stomached p*ssy?? really??

i've no worries walking thorugh a airport hosing civilians, (i didn't buy medal of honour, merely becuase i have friends in afghan then and now, so it felt like a betrayal) and ill happily walk around hosing aliens, mercenaries, hell collateral damage in prototype didn't bother me a bit.

but surely im not the only one to think: isn't a nursey sacred? babies: sacred? i know they are trying to instill a horror at the grotesque nature of the act (they're suceeding) but... really? a nursery? lullabys in the back ground?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Its sick+amusing at the same time, I wince then laugh then feel a bit guilty. Tbh i think maybe they did go a bit too far but at the same time fair play to them for having the courage to break the 'Infant Immortality' that so many other mainstream games buckle to (Fallout 3, i'm looking at you).

At the end of the day its just pixels, no babies or children were harmed making this game.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DISTURBING.

If this were a movie, it'd be praised for it's emotional depth and shit.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
It's horror. Your sensibilities are checked in at the door when you start. And there's a dead baby on the back of the box, so more fool you for buying it.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I'm not even remotely offended by the game. They're already devoid of all humanity and innocence they had when they got turned into Necromorphs, so I have no issues with killing them.

I wouldn't even care too much about killing actual children in a game, but that's just because I'm not easily offended and personally, I hate them. And like people have said, it's a horror game - it's supposed to be disturbing and make you feel awkward.

Jan 23, 2010
Well they are trying to scare and repulse the player, they seem to be doing a good job. It's 18+ and labeled horror for a reason. Yes baby shooting is extreme, but then maybe Dead Space ain't for you.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
"cross my heart, hope to die..."

Those who played it will know what I'm talking about (It's practically the endgame), and know that THAT scene is way worse than the exploding babies.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
If its distressing you that much, kindly stop playing. For everything else...

Remember Rule 36: There will always be more fucked up shit than what you just saw. No exeptions.
Especially towards the end...

Linkassassin360

Dec 28, 2009
Are you joking me? Dead babies were in the first game, AND Dante's Infeno. Seems to be a reoccuring theme with EA games.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
OP obviously never played the 1st one in which there where killer babies too. REsearch your games before hand

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
HotFezz8 said:
firstly i was unaware they were babies
If you are referring to the Lurkers, i do not see how that is possible. When you are introduced to them in the first Dead Space, you walk through what can only be describe as a giant test-tube baby room. You can even see them floating inside the containers. It's not hard to put two and two together here. Not only that, but assuming all Necromorphs are humans recombinated by the Marker, what else would they be? People struck with a severe case of dwarfism?

hang on, so not wanting to walk thorugh a nursery shooting babies makes me a weak stomached p*ssy?? really??
I neither called you weak-stomached, nor a "p*ssy". I said you were easily offended. Someone with a strong constitution can still be 'easily offended' when introduced to the right material. If you were religious and saw a bad depiction of whatever deity you worship, you could be offended at that - but still be able to watch copious amounts of gore and horror in a movie.

but surely im not the only one to think: isn't a nursey sacred? babies: sacred? i know they are trying to instill a horror at the grotesque nature of the act (they're suceeding) but... really? a nursery? lullabys in the back ground?
Twinkle, twinkle, little star...
That lullaby plays in the first Dead Space, but that's beside the point, if you haven't played it. It's mainly to further illustrate the point that they aren't doing anything new with this new installment, beyond the nursery environment itself.

The concept of a 'sacred space' is much debated. Why do you consider it 'sacred'? Why is it 'off-limits'? You aren't shooting defenceless children; they're malicious and they have the intent to kill. It's no longer human. It's alien. The cell structure has been infected with the alien recombinant DNA. They don't look entirely human, either. The backwards head, the black skin, the swollen white stomach. Because they don't look entirely human, i have no compunction towards shooting them in self defence. If you witnessed an innocent baby be infected and transform into one of the Necromorphs the way you did in the introduction (and any time an Infector creates a new Slasher from a corpse) then i would understand. It's a defenceless child being harmed, and some people would find that too much to bear. But it's not; it's alien life, and the fact it looks bizarre and threatening is designed to drag it deep enough into the uncanny valley that you see it as not entirely human but hostile, but human enough that it unnerves you.

Though i do not get offended by anything, so i am unable to entirely empathise.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Gralian said:
y'know its actually a very good comment, shooting my points to pieces, (and yeah on reflection the lurkers (or whatever) were babies, and i didn't put two and two together)

but the fact my argument fails dismally, and the fact i don't care shows that its not a rational reaction. childrens nurseries, babies etc are sacred to me and walking thorugh what should be a picture perfect happy zone with a pistol in your hand killing everything that moves strikes me as wrong on every level.

hmmm... i suppose that its a good point, well made, and simply a case of my finding that there's a line here for me. this isn't acceptable to me, but i can see why you aren't bothered.