Poll: SPOILERS Dead Space 2 has gone too far.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
whats wrong with killing children in games?

Answer: Nothing

Personaly I enjoy gunning the lil buggers down like in Fallout 2 I use a gattling gun :D
Am I twisted and messsed up no its a game I honestly dont care same reason I played rapelay becouse its a game somthing not real or anything

If it was real life stuff then ya id be against it but as far as fake pixels go I have no problam gunning down even a pregnent mother protecting her children

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
HotFezz8 said:
As Yahtzee once said a LONG time ago, being forced to do something that is both sickening and untasteful is quite scary isn't. Your forced to throw out your own morality and your good decsency to survive.

Of course in practice, that section of Dead Space has caused more inappropriate laughter then that one "pocessed Donkey" scene from the Rite.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
philosophicalbastard said:
Pararaptor said:
Nothing is sacred when there is money at stake.
Nothing is sacred period. Sacrements are drawn with thin lines of subjectivity that can be easily over-written by others.

Where as you(O.P.) find that children are sacred grounds, never to be touched, someone else could find the actual act of killing children to be a sacred right. Though that is a bad example I believe I've made my point.
If a game offers the chance to kill a child optinal or not I always kill the child dues that make me a bad person but ya its a sacred thing I do so enjoy in GAMES not real life

spartan773

Nov 18, 2009
HotFezz8 said:
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

you have been warned.

basically, im playing thorugh Dead Space 2 now, im about 3 hours through, and i'm shooting babies. i've already shot about 60 children no older than 12, but im now walking thorugh a nursery, listening to crying children and shooting mutated babies, which explode.

fuck MW2's airport scene, fuck Medal of Honours Taliban, this strikes me as over the line. had i known in advance there was this sort of content i would probably not have bought it.
it's just a game, would you, in real life, honestly gun down a place were children are found?

if the answer is yes, then you have problems.

if no, then you have nothing to worry about.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm mixed on this.

On one hand, if there's one thing that creeps me out it's deformed children in any horror setting. The first time I met one of those tentacle babies in DS1, I was seriously creeped out.

On the other hand, I seem to have hardened over the years, since the tentacle babies don't affect me much anymore. The Pack (the bunch of swarming kids) from DS2 was just annoying. And the exploding infants are for the most part just silly.

The little baby heads that roll away when you blow them up are a bit freaky, I give you that...

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
ohhhh look at me i have a moral high ground and that entitles me to tell people when they are crossing the line and expect to be taken seriously!
Next thing you'll tell is that going vegan will be the only way to save mankind...... you dirty hippy

Perfice

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, the lurkers in the first game were babies also.

I also refuse there to believe there is someone who doesn't get offended by anything.

EDIT :: It's kinda funny though, when I saw that scence I immediately thought to myself 'Someone is going to get offended by this...'

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
It's a horror game...

If it doesn't push boundaries and make you uncomfortable it's just an action-adventure with the brightness turned down.

Perfice

Jan 18, 2011
Xzi said:
Hahaha, exploding babies? Sounds way better than the first Dead Space already. No wonder my mother hates this. XD

Just like with comedy, there should never be anything that's over the line in gaming.
I'm not offended by this but I also don't believe being in comedy or gaming does it entitle it to moral immunity. For example, if there was a game where you had vivdly rape a twelve year old girl in the game in order to progress then it better atleast have some kind of warning on it's label that says so because that's most certainly over the line for me.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
I can understand why you would be upset or offended but i have to disagree with you for 2 reasons.

1) You felt unsettled and you didn't like what you were doing in the game. That is horror. The game has done it's job because it's a horror game.

2) Movies, books, music videos and graphic novels have done similiar things to what you were doing in Dead Space 2. There have been many instances of on-screen child massacres in film and the same can be said for horror novels and some graphic novels. If those materials can get away with it, then why can't videogames? Videogames are an art-form as well, but people won't judge the material on content but because of the fact that it took place in a videogame.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
HotFezz8 said:

you have been warned.

basically, im playing thorugh Dead Space 2 now, im about 3 hours through, and i'm shooting babies. i've already shot about 60 children no older than 12, but im now walking thorugh a nursery, listening to crying children and shooting mutated babies, which explode.

fuck MW2's airport scene, fuck Medal of Honours Taliban, this strikes me as over the line. had i known in advance there was this sort of content i would probably not have bought it.
Lurker in Dead Space 1

you know this a baby right? find it in the first one in a area full of incubation chambers with babies in, and NOW your feeling offended that babies now explode?

biGBum333

Aug 26, 2010
funny you mention this. there were mutilated humanoid babies in dantes inferno. which was incidentally also by EA and VG

LiudvikasT

Jan 21, 2011
HotFezz8 said:

you have been warned.

I said this once when dead space 1 came out and I will say it once again.
I find dead adults worse than dead babies. After all adults had fully developed thinking patterns, could talk and do math, unlike those stupid babies. Anyone that can't reason and think, should not be considered human and obviously a baby cant do that.