Poll: Sport games!

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I wanted to go with both "no sports ever" and "sports games are the same every year." I'm not into sports at all, I rather loathe them actually. Also, I play games to do things that are impossible to do in real life. Why would I play football -- something I could easily do with friends in a real field made of real grass -- on a console when I can spend my game time conquering the galaxy or slicing up Hydras? It would be like playing a game about mowing the lawn. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The only sports game I ever enjoyed was Mutant League Football, waaaaay back on the Genesis. Half of me wishes someone would remake it. The other half of me knows it would almost certainly end up being second-rate if they did.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
I watch sports, enjoy the occasional pick up game of basketball, football, or hockey, and play sports games.

I only own NHL 11 though. Every weekend or so when I'm in the local Gamestop (we don't have smaller stores here) I get challenged by a friend to a game of Madden NFL 13.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Never liked them too much, but I've been hooked on Champ/Football Manager a few times. They're highly underrated by core gamers IMO.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Sports games (and sports in general) might not be my cup of tea, but I know a lot of people who love them. I've played my fair share of sports titles but only enjoyed them because I enjoy helping my friends have fun. Also played pick up games of basketball almost every night for several years for the same reason. I hate basketball.

As for selling sports titles (work retail,) I do have a small complaint seeing almost exactly the same game being released for several years in a row, just with a different line-up. That wouldn't fly in any other genre of games, so why do sports games get away with it?

Greatest sports title of all time... Super Dodge Ball for the NES!

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
As a kid I played Madden... A lot... But more recently I've played a ton of the Forza games.

If I wanted to play any other sports game there's no way I'd buy it new, though.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I don't play sport games and I'm not into sports in general. I've watched family members play a few of them, but they don't hold my interest for very long.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
xShredd said:
I see it like this: 'When you can meet your friends to play football in real life, why should you spend so much money for a more boring type of the same game?'
For the same reason you would look at me like I was daft if I told you that if I wanted to shoot at people, I'd join the army instead of playing Call of Duty.

Playing Madden is a completely different experience then getting 10 friends together for a game of football. Along with that, I live in Minnesota. There is about a foot of snow on the ground right now and ice all over the place. I'm 27, which means having 10 friends period can sometimes be a hassle, let alone 10 friends who are in the mood to play football...

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Well I play Forza and Fight Night but that's it and that's only cuz I like racing/one on one fighters. I've got no interest in FIFA, Madden, PES, whatever else. I occaisonaly play sports, played football (or soccer if you'd rather) with mates but generally I don't...

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Well... Do fictional sports count? I doubt they do, but I definitely play Blood Bowl and would like more games like it!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Only one sports series I play on the 360 - the NHL series. Play and watch hockey too though.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Well... Do fictional sports count? I doubt they do, but I definitely play Blood Bowl and would like more games like it!
I think that would count as an arcadey sports game. Sort of like Mutant Football League or the Mario sport games :)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I hate sports, I was never built for action. However there is one, and only one, sports game I enjoy. That would be:

No idea what it was about that game, but I was amazing at it.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
sports, nothing wrong with it, (besides the overpaid men who just smack a leather ball around) if sports just suddenly popped out of existence i wouldnt know until someone told me. same with sports games.

also, im 100% Canadian, family's been here since the 1700's and i could not give two shits about Hockey :p

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
Sports are fun, I play and watch several (football, baseball, soccer, hockey, Ultimate Frisbee)

I occasionally play sports games, NFL Blitz was a total blast.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I have not only played sports all my life (football (european version), badminton, hockey, table-tennis, tennis etc) but I also play many sports games and buy Pro Evolution Soccer every year (and hate it every year).

I guess much of the hate sports-games get are that many gamers (not all by any stretch of the imagination) grew up being not very good at sports, maybe getting somewhat teased for it, and seeing sports-guys as kind of stupid jocks. I think this is a source of much resentment towards sports and sports-games, as sports-games are also seen as kind of for jocks.

But then again, there are many people like me that love to play sports and sports-games but also was also kind of a nerd, loving JRPGs etc.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Every 4th year I will become extremely absorbed in sports due to the Olympics, but normally I don't watch sports or play sports games with the exception of racing games. However that's my fascination with fast cars rather than sports.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Yopaz said:
Every 4th year I will become extremely absorbed in sports due to the Olympics, but normally I don't watch sports or play sports games with the exception of racing games. However that's my fascination with fast cars rather than sports.
I really wish we could get a well-made Olympics game. Most of the ones that get churned out every year are glorified button-mash-o-thons. I'm not sure how they could make the mechanics better, but whenever the Olympics roll around I always want to grab a game for it, and invariably get told the offering is awful.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
I think that would count as an arcadey sports game. Sort of like Mutant Football League or the Mario sport games :)
Ahhh... I probably should have paid more attention to the poll options and selected that choice before making my post, although technically speaking Blood Bowl is far from arcadey.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I don't play sports games, but that is a taste, not an objective criticism of the genre. Same for most racing games. (I say most because I will play mario kart). I just don't like them.

I also don't play sports, my physical fitness interest is long distance running. Which would make a pretty boring game.