Poll: Star Trek: Which Enterprise is Your Favorite?

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
It's also Worth to note that the Dominion's weapons pretty much bypassed most Federation shields and the Defiant could still take a beating and give as good as it got in most battles. But she's a tough little ship.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Gotta love me a Galaxy class mobile fortress.

Sovereign should probably be my choice objectively, but it was mostly for the movies, and meh to the movies imo.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
MHR said:
That 'fortress' had its two combat deaths stem from an 80 year old out of date Bird of Prey and a tiny similarly sized ship ramming into another.

It's not a fortress, it's a cruise ship.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Though the valiant class is clearly the pound-for-pound BAMF of Starfleet designs they never made one called "Enterprise" so that's out for me.
I've got to vote for the post-refit constitution Enterprise of The Motion Picture & Khan. It's the same ship I watched as a kid in the original series (the IP that made me a sci-fi geek) but more capable and a lot better looking. The first time I saw that big blue deflector dish and the sexy tapered nacelle struts I knew the super-connie was the spaceship for me.
<3

The sovereign class Enterprise E is the biggest, baddest & one of the best and most practical-looking Enterprises. Since the connies seem to be out of the running I'm happy to see it leading the poll - just please don't let the crapsack galaxy class win.
Seriously Escapist; if the galaxy class ships looked any wimpier they'd be mistaken for Easter bonnets.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Silverbeard said:
I don't see how anyone can defend any Enterprise other than the E class. It stands to reason that the best ship would be the most advanced one and the E class was certainly that, if only by virtue of being the 'latest' Starfleet design.

DeimosMasque said:
Screw the Enterprise, give me the USS Ben Sisko's Motherfucking Pimp Hand. It was deemed to long by Starfleet and renamed Defiant.
I don't know about this. For a ship designed specifically for combat (against the Borg, no less!), Defiant seems to be on the business end of a Jem'Hadar thrashing every other week. Either the Defiant's overrated or the Jemmies are just that good!
I'm pretty sure it's because the Jem'Hadar like to attack in very large groups, whilst the Borg tend to only send a singular cube to ruin shit (let's just ignore what Voyager did to the Borg). Given the Defiant's design - read: 'a pair of big guns strapped to an engine' - it always felt like something designed for punching a giant hole in something large, as opposed to dealing with a number of smaller, more maneuverable ships.

If anything, it's more impressive that Ben 'Motherfucking' Sisko manages to blow up so god damn many Jem'Hadar given he's fighting them in a ship unsuited to countering their preferred tactics. But this is the Sisko we're talking about, he straight up kills some Jem'Hadar with his bare hands, using the wrong ship for the job is nothing to him.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
Silverbeard said:
I don't see how anyone can defend any Enterprise other than the E class. It stands to reason that the best ship would be the most advanced one and the E class was certainly that, if only by virtue of being the 'latest' Starfleet design.

DeimosMasque said:
Screw the Enterprise, give me the USS Ben Sisko's Motherfucking Pimp Hand. It was deemed to long by Starfleet and renamed Defiant.
I don't know about this. For a ship designed specifically for combat (against the Borg, no less!), Defiant seems to be on the business end of a Jem'Hadar thrashing every other week. Either the Defiant's overrated or the Jemmies are just that good!
I'm pretty sure it's because the Jem'Hadar like to attack in very large groups, whilst the Borg tend to only send a singular cube to ruin shit (let's just ignore what Voyager did to the Borg). Given the Defiant's design - read: 'a pair of big guns strapped to an engine' - it always felt like something designed for punching a giant hole in something large, as opposed to dealing with a number of smaller, more maneuverable ships.
I'm always amused when people try to defend the Defiant's design, which is just... terrible. It's really a bad ship that surfs 100% on plot armor and through it's relationship with the most Gary Sue character in Star Trek, Sisko.

Anyway, specifically, the Defiant actually does get to go up against a Borg cube. It gets smeared because the wrong black guy is captaining it at the moment.

If anything, it's more impressive that Ben 'Motherfucking' Sisko manages to blow up so god damn many Jem'Hadar given he's fighting them in a ship unsuited to countering their preferred tactics. But this is the Sisko we're talking about, he straight up kills some Jem'Hadar with his bare hands, using the wrong ship for the job is nothing to him.
It's really not that impressive, because it never earns a kill. Everything the Defiant kills, it does so in seconds, usually with the clever setup of Sisko saying something badass that makes the Jemhadar drop whatever they're doing so they can wave their fat, unshielded ass at the Defiant.

EDIT: I take that back. The Defiant earns exactly one kill, when it tag teams the Jemhadar with the Klingons, with them acting as bait. And even that felt like a huge damn stretch.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Zontar said:
MHR said:
That 'fortress' had its two combat deaths stem from an 80 year old out of date Bird of Prey and a tiny similarly sized ship ramming into another.

It's not a fortress, it's a cruise ship.
I think the destruction of the Enterprise D is more a testament to just how bad some of the writing for ST Generations was rather than the vulnerability of the Galaxy class ships. But yeah, the Galaxy class ships were really unfit for war.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
AccursedTheory said:
Wrex Brogan said:
Silverbeard said:

DeimosMasque said:
I'm always amused when people try to defend the Defiant's design, which is just... terrible. It's really a bad ship that surfs 100% on plot armor and through it's relationship with the most Gary Sue character in Star Trek, Sisko.

Anyway, specifically, the Defiant actually does get to go up against a Borg cube. It gets smeared because the wrong black guy is captaining it at the moment.

It's really not that impressive, because it never earns a kill. Everything the Defiant kills, it does so in seconds, usually with the clever setup of Sisko saying something badass that makes the Jemhadar drop whatever they're doing so they can wave their fat, unshielded ass at the Defiant.

EDIT: I take that back. The Defiant earns exactly one kill, when it tag teams the Jemhadar with the Klingons, with them acting as bait. And even that felt like a huge damn stretch.
Hey now, you're thinking I'm defending the Defiant (aren't it's weapons only foward-facing or something? In Space? Also the whole 'we had a lot of problems getting the thing to stop shaking itself apart'), I'm not. It's just it was clearly designed for a very specific purpose (punching big holes in Borg Cubes), which puts it at a disadvantage to the Jem'hadar, who use a completely different type of tactics to the Borg. It's a Shotgun when it needs to be a Marksman Rifle, hence why the Jem'Hadar kick it's ass half the time, and the whole 'shake itself apart' thing means it wasn't the best designed Shotgun around (Hell I'm pretty sure it's a prototype they just slapped some numbers on and said 'it'll do').

And look, I won't talk about First Contact if you won't. There's a lot of problems with that movie, and given Worf's strategy when his ship was damaged was 'RAM THE FUCKER', appropriate handling of the Defiant is one of them.

[sub]and it's off topic, but... c'mon, what is with people throwing the 'Gary Stu/Mary Sue' label around these days? It's like 'oh hey, this character is moderately competent and well written, he's gotta be a Gary Stu!' I mean, c'mon, Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a very specific type of writing criticism, it's not something so easily thrown around, it's actually only really applicable to a very narrow band of characters! /endwritingrant[/sub]

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
This was a tough one because we all know the Enterprise-E is a damn fine piece of work, and one I appreciate far more than the D, nostalgia be damned. I even really love the Kelvin-Timeline version, in no small part because it's engineering decks actually look like engineering decks, not just a room with a couple more monitors then usual.

But when it comes down to it I've got to give it to the good old NX-01. Yes it's basically just an Akira flipped upside-down, but the Akira's are woefully under utilized so this starts to make up for it. It's small, cramped, and made for function because they couldn't build for comfort yet. It's got squeaking in the deck plating, needs it's chief engineer to keep it flying and not just to force the system do things it was never designed to do, and can only manage Warp 5 anyways.

And when it launched it was the most impressive damn thing the human race had ever built. It was the literal first of it's kind, made for a genuinely unknown frontier. It served for ten years before being decommissioned, and that's after it took a beating that would make the 'tough little' Defiant shiver and kept right on going.
It broke records, made history, and demonstrated just what humanity was capable of in a time when there was more to prove then ever. And while we're talking records, lets not forget that it was over two years into its mission before there were any casualties among the crew and let's be honest, that's gotta be a number Star Fleet's never been able to beat.

In no small way, we quite literally have it to thank for there even being a Star Fleet at all, or the Federation for that matter.

Plus, now I'm just really wishing we got to see a Galaxy Class try to navigate the Delphic Expanse, cause that would have been funny. Short, but funny.

Neverhoodian said:
My personal favorite is the Enterprise-D refit seen in the TNG finale "All Good Things."
Cloaking device. Phaser lance. Warp 13. Badass.
Antari said:
It had a transwarp drive.
I don't think the ship's at that point in the timeline were supposed to be transwarp. I was always under the assumption they redefined the warp factors again, like they did in the years between TOS and TNG. Warp 5 for the NX-01 or original NCC-1701 didn't mean the same thing it did for the D.

Since warp drive had become considerably more precise and using fractional warp factors had become more and more common (we seem to start hearing things like 7.5 and the like a lot more often around this point in the timeline), I think they just changed the scale. Effectively, Warp 10 by TNG's count is still as fast as warp technology is capable of, but now there are more numbers leading up to that so you can more accurately state how fast you're going. So when they say 13 it's probably closer to something like what we'd think of as 6.5 or 7 or something.

But the important part is phaser lance. We need more of those. Like all of them. On everything. Garbage scows and all.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'd go for the TOS one.

The TNG one had some bad ideas...don't put kids on it and then don't design the ship to split into two and then not actually use that feature.

Oh, and I'd say Sisko wasn't a Gary Stu, in that he was about as ridiculously incompetent as the Dominion. A competent leader in place and either side could win in a month.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I like the NCC-1701 (Abramsverse). Though I actually prefer the Dreadnought from into Darkness.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I voted for the Enterprise-E, because of both its call-backs to the older designs and the common sense realization that Federation ships needed to be equal parts exploration/combat ships. Seeing it for the first time in Star Trek: First Contact was amazing - and even more when you see how much ass it can kick!

I also like the design of the Excelsior class - seems like it was the spiritual ancestor of the Sovereign-class and is another long-lived workhorse, since IIRC you see them in ST:TNG and they've been upgraded to field the latest advances in weaponry and shield tech.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Mike Richards said:
Neverhoodian said:
My personal favorite is the Enterprise-D refit seen in the TNG finale "All Good Things."
Antari said:
I don't think the ship's at that point in the timeline were supposed to be transwarp. I was always under the assumption they redefined the warp factors again, like they did in the years between TOS and TNG. Warp 5 for the NX-01 or original NCC-1701 didn't mean the same thing it did for the D.

Since warp drive had become considerably more precise and using fractional warp factors had become more and more common (we seem to start hearing things like 7.5 and the like a lot more often around this point in the timeline), I think they just changed the scale. Effectively, Warp 10 by TNG's count is still as fast as warp technology is capable of, but now there are more numbers leading up to that so you can more accurately state how fast you're going. So when they say 13 it's probably closer to something like what we'd think of as 6.5 or 7 or something.

But the important part is phaser lance. We need more of those. Like all of them. On everything. Garbage scows and all.
I'm not so sure about that. I remember a TNG episode where scientists were warning that ships traveling at faster warp speeds (the exact figures eludes me) were causing damage to subspace or some such technobabble. Turns out they were right, and Starfleet followed up by issuing a "warp speed limit" that was not to be exceeded except during emergencies. Hence the drop back down to lower warp numbers like 5 or 6. This was also before Voyager broke the fabled warp 10 barrier (and turned Janeway and Paris into Space Salamanders, who promptly spawned Space Salamander babies), so Captain Riker casually ordering "warp 13" in "All Good Things" was a real head-turner at the time.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
the enterprise J is easily the worst looking. like someone sat on the model its so flat.

my favourite though would have to be the NX.. sleek and looks like it means business and did stellar service in a totally unknown galaxy

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Thaluikhain said:
The TNG one had some bad ideas...don't put kids on it and then don't design the ship to split into two and then not actually use that feature.
Don't think it is a bad design. It's a reasonable all-purpose ship : Faster than D'Deridex, but far slower than Courier ships, enough reach to get anywhere in federation territory, good enough armament to fight any ship of federation enemies already encountered, when it was designed, good enough sensors and laboratories to fullfill research asignments and place for a lot of people not necessary to drive this thing making it a famaly friendly workplace.

I just assume that when it was build, starfleet had more in mind impressing dignitaries and carrying ambassadors around in a prestigious luxus ship instead of wanting a frontline battlecruiser for some future wars. It was never build to fight the Borg, the Dominion or even the Romulans.

The Enterprise i like best is the Enterprise-C.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Satinavian said:
Thaluikhain said:
Don't think it is a bad design. It's a reasonable all-purpose ship : Faster than D'Deridex, but far slower than Courier ships, enough reach to get anywhere in federation territory, good enough armament to fight any ship of federation enemies already encountered, when it was designed, good enough sensors and laboratories to fullfill research asignments and place for a lot of people not necessary to drive this thing making it a famaly friendly workplace.

I just assume that when it was build, starfleet had more in mind impressing dignitaries and carrying ambassadors around in a prestigious luxus ship instead of wanting a frontline battlecruiser for some future wars. It was never build to fight the Borg, the Dominion or even the Romulans.
It's neither fish nor foul, though. Stick a bunch of guns in it so you use it as a warship, stick everyone else on it so you shouldn't.

OTOH, a similar thing happened with battlecruisers being used as battleships, I could see it being used for things not really in its niche.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
NCC-1701-A Refit because the only Star Trek that I enjoy are the first movies (including the Undiscovered Country). There's something majestic, elegant and epic about that design (especially when paired up with the music of Jerry Goldsmith or James Horner).

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Mike Richards said:
This was a tough one because we all know the Enterprise-E is a damn fine piece of work, and one I appreciate far more than the D, nostalgia be damned. I even really love the Kelvin-Timeline version, in no small part because it's engineering decks actually look like engineering decks, not just a room with a couple more monitors then usual.

But when it comes down to it I've got to give it to the good old NX-01. Yes it's basically just an Akira flipped upside-down, but the Akira's are woefully under utilized so this starts to make up for it. It's small, cramped, and made for function because they couldn't build for comfort yet. It's got squeaking in the deck plating, needs it's chief engineer to keep it flying and not just to force the system do things it was never designed to do, and can only manage Warp 5 anyways.

And when it launched it was the most impressive damn thing the human race had ever built. It was the literal first of it's kind, made for a genuinely unknown frontier. It served for ten years before being decommissioned, and that's after it took a beating that would make the 'tough little' Defiant shiver and kept right on going.
It broke records, made history, and demonstrated just what humanity was capable of in a time when there was more to prove then ever. And while we're talking records, lets not forget that it was over two years into its mission before there were any casualties among the crew and let's be honest, that's gotta be a number Star Fleet's never been able to beat.

In no small way, we quite literally have it to thank for there even being a Star Fleet at all, or the Federation for that matter.

Plus, now I'm just really wishing we got to see a Galaxy Class try to navigate the Delphic Expanse, cause that would have been funny. Short, but funny.

Neverhoodian said:
Antari said:

Although Voyager coined the phrase transwarp in its episodes. Micheal Okuda the designer of the Enterprise-E described transwarp as any warp factor beyond 10 in the Enterprise-E technical manual. Which was a bit confusing as warp factor 10 was described as a barrier point of infinite power requirement. But as you noted in "All Good Things" Admiral Riker requests warp 13 be set while they return to federation space.